Silliest reason your kid didn't like a college - not a deal breaker, but funny

<p>My D really likes the school she may attend, but she came downstairs and said…</p>

<p>“k, mommy there is a downside to this school…the school colors, I don’t look good in burgandy…”</p>

<p>(it wouldn’t affect her decision, but i found it amusing)</p>

<p>S was sorry his first choice school (where he ended up) has, basically, lousy football, especially as his second choice school has one of the top programs in the country. At the start it was a major criterion for him.</p>

<p>But, he’s dealing.</p>

<p>S said he wouldn’t apply to Pomona because he couldn’t go to a school with “a name like Pomona”. ??? Too bad, it’s a great school.</p>

<p>sac, that is why my friend’s D did not apply to Ursinus, and another one of my friend’s kids stayed away from Salisbury State (is it a steak of a school, was the thinking).</p>

<p>DD did an overnight at Oberlin - wouldn’t apply because the guys there had too much facial hair! lol</p>

<p>Rose-Hulman - because there weren’t enough females on campus. Not that he was looking for one but IF he was, it was slim pickin’s…</p>

<p>Cornell, because the weather was too hot. </p>

<p>We visited on what happened to be the hottest day in the summer; it was a sweltering 98 degrees in upstate New York. But despite this bad first impression, my daughter ended up applying there ED anyway and was accepted.</p>

<p>On the flip side, some of the stretch positives that my son came up with revolved around fast food. First, at RPI he was thrilled that they had a Ben & Jerry’s in the student Union. Then, at Penn State (as I recall) it was a Chick-Fil-A. Fortunately he got over that aspect of the college check list - he ended up at Cornell where there wasn’t even a Dunkin Donuts until recently - and that is way off campus in another part of town.</p>

<p>NCState- he didn’t like the tour guide.
GATech- not enough girls.</p>

<p>She wouldn’t even consider a school that had another state’s or city’s name in the title - Like Indiana University Of PA, California University Of PA, Miami U of Ohio, etc…silly</p>

<p>PA Mom–the last one really is silly. I’m pretty sure the Miami tribe of Indians was actually in Ohio.</p>

<p>I always wondered about Indiana U of PA & how it got that name.</p>

<p>My favorite “odd” school name is Ivy Tech State College which sounds like they named it by committee but is actually derived from the original name, Indiana Vocational Technical College or IV Tech.</p>

<p>Might as well call it “Generic U” while they’re at it!</p>

<p>I read about someone not going to a school because there was not a Starbucks within walking distance. </p>

<p>I know someone who did not like a school because the tour guide wore dark nail polish (deep purple/near black).</p>

<p>My friends son didn’t like Millersville because at the open house he attended the students were too cheerful. </p>

<p>I think the only reason my daughter applied to Penn State was because they had really good ice cream (made at the dairy) and hot wings.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Never mind Ben & Jerry’s; Cornell has its own dairy! May be the best ice cream I’ve ever had, and 85 cents for what would cost at least $3.50 at B&J’s.</p>

<p>Vanderbilt–D doesn’t like country/western music and figured that every radio station in Nashville would have just that!!</p>

<p>No paper towels in the bathroom. A student saw son reaching for the empty holder and told him “welcome to Cal State”. This was before they told him how great he was at audition, but I think the thought stayed.</p>

<p>Reed:</p>

<p>On a roadshow preso, Paul Marthers, Dean of Admission, must’ve been having a bad day, but S said he came across as “too full of himself,” which “definitley” didn’t work with his '70s style surfer hairstyle.</p>

<p>UMich had too much school spirit.
Caltech had too little school spirit.
Everyone at Harvard was a stereotype.
I had a long night and had to catch a flight, so I didn’t give Northwestern a fair shot.</p>

<p>University of San Diego
We toured on Good Friday when the school was closed and no students were on campus. She didn’t like the students in the TOUR GROUP!</p>