<p>Connecticut College
Daughter loved the school on the first visit, but on the second decided she didn’t want to go there-she didn’t like the girls in her dance audition class.</p>
<p>Just remembered – D wouldn’t look at schools in East Coast cities. Said the buildings were “too old.”</p>
<p>D wouldn’t consider university of New Mexico even though grandparents live nearby because “It’s in the desert”.</p>
<p>D asked at each school if they served Pepsi or Coke. (Atlanta girl.) Allegheny only had Pepsi - strike against. She doesn’t like Furman’s “FU” shirts, or their colors (purple and green were her elementary school colors.) However, she’s applied to both, and would be happy at either. Didn’t like Wooster’s name. On the positive side, St. Olaf has the coolest fight song, and that got them lots of points. She liked Emory because they offer jousting.</p>
<p>My D would have nothing to do with any campus that had red brick buildings. “No imagination” is what she declared.</p>
<p>My son just might want to consider Furman for those shirts, Binx. LOL</p>
<p>Hey binx, didn’t your daughter get accepted at Allegheny??</p>
<p>“If the website is dull, the college must be also.” (Haverford)
“I can’t tell one building from another, just bricks and ivy, I’ll get lost all the time” (Amherst)</p>
<p>Here’s why I turned down some schools:</p>
<p>Wooster: Didn’t want to write that big essay they tell you about.
Capital: Wanted me to try out for a scholarship on a day when I had school (high school) and I didn’t want to miss high school…I went grades 6-12 with perfect attendance!!!
Mount Union: Beer bottles in parking lot.
Waynesburg: No grocery store in walking distance.
Geneva: Surrounding area was a ghetto.
Grove City: Tour guide was stuck up.
Duquesne: Too Catholic (I’m Protestant).</p>
<p>So I wound up at a no-name college called La Roche. But I don’t care, it’s five minutes from where I live so all is good.</p>
<p>Ursinus: I don’t want to go to a college that that people will pronounce “Your Sinus”
Dickinson: That’s a street cutting through the middle of the campus.
GW: Got off Metro and said “so where’s the campus?” (Not so silly, really. D knew from that one visit that an urban campus was not what she wanted.)</p>
<p>It was close, down to three very interesting choices. After days and days spreadsheeting all the numbers, meetings with coaches, touring campuses, evaluating cities, looking at options and possibilities beyond undergrad, etc., she looked at the tagline on the student shuttle service bus (that we happened upon by accident) and said “what a cool name for a bus! I’m going to school here, I want to ride that bus”.</p>
<p>If only I’d known, I could have done a search of names of college shuttle services, produced a list, and offered her that.</p>
<p>Of course, this is the same school where she pulled the application out of her bedroom garbage can, filled it out and sent it in, a last minute change of heart three days before the deadline.</p>
<p>Wesleyan—the grass is all brown (we visited on a very hot August day at the height of one of the East Coast’s worst droughts. I’m sure there was more to it but I honestly think this contributed).</p>
<p>Lehigh----this place looks haunted.</p>
<p>Goucher: too many trees</p>
<p>University of South Carolina (which we parents really liked) S:It’s just too hot here. We have lived an hour and half away his whole life. How much difference could there be?</p>
<p>Wouldn’t attend any school in Boston because he hates the Red Sox and would feel disloyal as a Yankee fan…</p>
<p>D didn’t apply to William & Mary because the tour guide acted as if she’d never been in the library before. </p>
<p>Binx - my daughter is also extremely picky about Coke over Pepsi, although she doesn’t drink soft drinks anymore. Took my Girl Scout troop to Savannah once and they were very dismayed whenever we ate at a Pepsi-only establishment.</p>
<p>Haverford, didn’t like the squirrels, or the big hole in the ground??? They were building a new building, it was summer. we parked in the worng parking lot.</p>
<p>Vanderbilt, it’s raining - we live in the rainiest metro area in the US, no not Seattle, we get ours 3-4 inches at a time. This year, though, Houston may beat us.</p>
<p>S wouldn’t even consider William & Mary after seeing the surrounding town - didn’t want to go to college in the middle of all those tourists (this from a FL kid who has lived his whole life surrounded by tourists).</p>
<p>S could never go to a school with a purple cow mascot. (Williams)</p>
<p>(We also made the mistake of visiting the campus when he was hungry. We couldn’t immediately find a place for lunch!)</p>
<p>Haverford - they’re so proud of having a cricket team???</p>
<p>Bucknell - it’s on the other side of nowhere, Mom.</p>