<p>Can’t remember the school, but my daughter disliked it because some of the classrooms were painted mauve/pink.</p>
<p>When I bring up a new school, S#3’s first question is “What’s the mascot”…hey we all have our priorities.:rolleyes: I knew Coastal Carolina would not make the cut when I had to tell him the mascot was Chaucey the Chanticleer and the colors were teal and bronze!</p>
<p>Won’t apply to Michigan because she didn’t like the squirrels. Too big and too friendly.</p>
<p>I thought I had the market cornered on the big scarey squirrels until Cangel said the same.</p>
<p>Washington and Lee- too much khaki. Ds said they would have to belong to “Phi Khaki Khaki”.
Harvard- tour guide’s voice was too annoying.
Vanderbilt- after two great visits, the panel on third visit talked mainly about parties, Greeks, and alcohol. Made it sound like “smart kid State U”.
Dartmouth- town was too cute and too small (H and I were ready to move there immediately).</p>
<p>Amherst: DS couldn’t cope with the hilly terrain.</p>
<p>Brown: Tour guide didn’t know the artists responsible for the striking sculptures around campus, and made too big a deal of the mall half a mile away. Also, she was a female member of a fraternity.</p>
<p>University of Virginia - - S thought it was too old – the tour was like visiting a museum.</p>
<p>My apologies to Thomas Jefferson!</p>
<p>Re: Coke vs. Pepsi - Swarthmore has recently banned all Coca-Cola products from their dining hall in response to a student group which brought attention to “unethical practices” by the Coca-Cola company. Apparently other colleges have also banned Coke as part of this campaign. My daughter, a Swarthmore student, isn’t too tuned in to this cause and is a little upset because she like Coke and not Pepsi.</p>
<p><a href=“The Phoenix - The Independent Campus Newspaper of Swarthmore College since 1881”>The Phoenix - The Independent Campus Newspaper of Swarthmore College since 1881;
<a href=“The Phoenix - The Independent Campus Newspaper of Swarthmore College since 1881”>The Phoenix - The Independent Campus Newspaper of Swarthmore College since 1881;
<p>Re: The topic of this thread - My son did not like Princeton. It is only about 25 minutes from our house, and we visited on a very hot summer day during major construction on the campus. He said that, “I don’t feel like we really went anywhere. The dirt here smells the same as the dirt where we live, and they even have the same annoying geese that we do!”</p>
<p>LOL FF, my sons were both thrilled by the pizza at Caltech! Actually I had a great lunch too, grilled salmon made to order.</p>
<p>proudinnj–too funny! The younger generation isn’t impressed by old and historic, it seems.</p>
<p>Around here kids don’t want to go to the local State Uni because it’s too close. Whereas kids from the northern part of the state ignore their perfectly good schools and come here. I told my son if he stayed in town we could blindfold him, drive him around for a few hours, and tell him he was far from home, but he didn’t buy it.</p>
<p>Princeton - my other S did not like it because there were no students at the Princeton-Cornell football game and he thought the students that he did see looked like the son in “The Wedding Crashers”!</p>
<p>" He was a close talker" “She had man-hands”</p>
<p>it like college courtship</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>ROFLMAO, best laugh today.
Every young man down here gets a navy blazer and a pair of khaki pants on about his 12th birthday - it is totally a uniform. To be worn on Xmas, Easter, funerals, nice dinners, graduations, etc, etc. It was especially funny during D’s graduation events. The girls wore lovely dresses to 2 events, all different spring colors - the guys wore, you guessed it, khakis and blue blazers. Baccalaureate, girls wore white dresses, guys khakis and blue blazers. The guys did generally shed the blazers at senior breakfast, although khakis were much in evidence. Are you amazed the 3 kids from D’s class are now at W&L???</p>
<p>S did not want to consider any school within the boundaries of our large state, although he was happy to consider out of state schools that were actually closer! Considering where he ended up, we laugh about that now.</p>
<p>Lehigh - Having to climb that hill every day
Tufts - Hated the name (but would have applied anyway)</p>
<p>cangel–not to hijack the thread, but the blazer & khaki uniform is seen all over. It’s a brilliant solution to looking nice but not wanting to wear/buy a suit, esp. when the kid is still growing rapidly. My 3 boys all passed down the blazers but not the pants cause they were all different sizes, shapes, and height at different ages. We even loaned out the blazers to friends for special occasions!</p>
<p>I only read a few of the responses. I guess I did not see very much that appeared to be funny. In fact I think it is sad that major decisions are often made on a whim. We all do it, but teenagers can be really bad about emotional responses with little logic or thought.</p>
<p>Hadn’t heard about the Coke boycott. I thought this was curious:</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>And yes, to whomever asked, my D has been accepted at Allegheny. If she chooses to attend, I guess she’ll be importing her own beverages. :)</p>
<p>My S uses a navy blazer with khakis as his dressed-down performance uniform. He wore it to auditions, to his HS senior recital, to competitions… Got a new blazer for Christmas. Called me a week or two ago to ask if it was okay to wear black pants with it. Trying to break out of the mold, I guess.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Surprisingly, I have nothing to add to this “what was (s)he thinking” thread. As WashDadJr said, “Dad, I’m going to be an engineering major. I’m never going to be outdoors anyway.” He did think one of the highlights of our visit to Caltech was the Tommy’s Original World Famous Hamburgers just down the street. Jr’s little brother said, “If God made a hamburger, it would be this one.”</p>
<p>WashDad, I think my sons must have moved in with you! </p>
<p>DS1 (a junior) would not care one bit about the food or the outdoors (“I’m going to be a math major. The only reason to go outside is frisbee.”). This partly explains why he’s 5’11" and 111 lbs. DS2 (15 months younger and a freshman) considers the food offerings a major part of his college decision process. This may explain why he’s pushing 6’3" and 215 lbs. as a 14 yo.</p>
<p>We found a similar hamburger place when we visited the Claremont Colleges. DS2 liked CMC and the burgers. DS1’s comment on Mudd’s cafeteria: “Hey, look at that sign! They have moonlight Ultimate on Saturday nights!”</p>
<p>Williams-Route 2 cutting the campus in two was it for my S. Too urban for him.</p>