<p>Carried over from the Hamilton et al thread on the Parents forum–</p>
<p>I had nominated Afternoon Delight.</p>
<p>I will add:</p>
<p>Feelings
Torn Between two Lovers
Kung Foo Fighting</p>
<p>Nominees?</p>
<p>Carried over from the Hamilton et al thread on the Parents forum–</p>
<p>I had nominated Afternoon Delight.</p>
<p>I will add:</p>
<p>Feelings
Torn Between two Lovers
Kung Foo Fighting</p>
<p>Nominees?</p>
<p>Thanks a lot, Garland.</p>
<p>The title warned you!</p>
<p>hopeless internal screams…</p>
<p>So, go ahead, add to the misery…what’s your nominee?</p>
<p>I read in the NY times that these are technically called “earworms”–and of course my midlife brain will not recall what the fix was–I believe it was insistently singing another song through to its end…</p>
<p>Anyway, mine include a ridiculous number of those toddler drive-time tunes by Raffi and the like and I have been known (still–and I am in the CC parent age range…) to catch myself at work humming “Six Little Ducks…” and “Up on the Rooftop” (out of season no less…) Also “Its a Small World Afterall”–perhaps a relic of having been stuck in the ride for half an hour on high school grad night in 1967…</p>
<p>Perhaps this is evidence of arrested development. Oh I guess there is “Pretty Woman…” in my earworm ordeal repetoire also, so I may not be as musically regressed after all</p>
<p>Garland, the doctrine of Mutually Assured Destruction worked during the Cold War, and as a flinty Reaganite, I feel justified in raising it again, in view of what you’ve done to the rest of my afternoon. If you persist in this vein, I’ll feel fully justified–and will make my case to the American people–for reminding you of the Blue Swede version of “Hooked on a Feeling”–with its full “hooga chogga” introduction. That will be during the shock and awe phase of the operation. My forces are prepared to follow up with “Sugar Sugar” by the Archies, and “Mandy.” Have a nice day.</p>
<p>I’ve always wondered who actually sang for the Archies and if they ever admitted to it.</p>
<p>Created for mass consumption by bubblegum-pop genius Don Kirshner (the man who gave us the Monkees), the Archies were the ultimate manufactured pop group. They existed on television as an animated series based on the comic book characters of the same name. The voices behind the singing cartoon characters were vocalists Ron Dante (b. 22 August 1945, New York, USA), Toni Wine and Andy Kim, who were later called upon for touring purposes. Kirshner was astute enough to employ solid commercial writers of some standing, including Jeff Barry and Andy Kim. After several minor successes, the group released one of the biggest selling singles in the history of RCA Records. Sugar Sugar became a transatlantic number 1, hogging the top spot in Britain for over two months. Back in the USA, where the television series was extremely popular, the group enjoyed another Top 10 hit with Jingle Jangle before suffering the sharp plunge into obscurity common to animated creations. True claim to fame came with a Monty Python skit that involved a music video made up of an empty stage, boxes, crazy camera angels and Sugar Sugar. And Veronica was hot.</p>
<p>I liked Peter Tork myself ;)</p>
<p>I recall reading that Tork was the real musician in the Monkees, and got the part because Stephen Stills was rejected. Also that Nesmith became very successful in the production end of commercial music. Funny how things work out. I wonder whatever happened to Betty. She seemed like such a sweet girl.</p>
<p>Oh yeah, Driver?</p>
<p>Well I’ll see your “mandy” and raise you one “Copa Cabana”…</p>
<p>Don’t mess with me, imperialistic running dog pig.</p>
<p>Neil Diamond is appearing in Seattle soon-
I actually like him- although I don’t own any of his cds-
( but then I used to think Elton John was straight- so some may quarrel with my judgement)</p>
<p>Mark Twain wrote a short story, “Punch, Brothers, Punch”, that dealt with a similar phenomenon, but in his story you could get rid of the offensive jingle by passing it on to some one else. In the end, his friend was suffering and . . .</p>
<p>“How did I finally save him from an asylum? I took him to a neighboring university and made him discharge the burden of his persecuting rhymes into the eager ears of the poor, unthinking students. How is it with them, now? The result is too sad to tell.”</p>
<p>Garland,
No civilized person wants to do this to another, but you’ve left me no choice: “You’re Having My Baby” by Paul Anka. You’re toast. No coming back from that one. HA! Enjoy your night.</p>
<p>shari lewis and lambchop- “the song that never ends” ;)</p>
<p>EK4,
Diamond is one of those guys who writes great songs but I don’t like hearing him do them. Chris Isaak did a version of “Solitary Man” that gives me goose bumps.</p>
<p>1more, I know that story…my way of getting rid of these songs is to imagine Bill Murray singing them in his SNL lounge singer routine.</p>
<p>Thanks, Emeraldkity!</p>
<p>Michael Nesmith was one of the early pioneers of music videos. Anyone remember “Elephant Parts”?</p>
<p>Dancing Queen (or anything by ABBA)
Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go</p>
<p>If I Were A Carpenter
and you were a lady
would you marry me anyway-y-y-
Would you have my baby? :p</p>
<p>prequel to Garland & Driver:</p>
<p>“Girl you’ll be a woman soon”
yeech</p>