Songs you can't get out of your head (but wish you could)

<p>somemom, but Uma made that look GOOD in Pulp Fiction.</p>

<p>Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd. I definitely am not redneck, if you receive my meaning, but actually like (maybe love) the record. It’s a classic!</p>

<p>Mama would slap me from her grave, if she knew.</p>

<p>{tap, tap} “Is this mic on? No? Hehheh, OK, the carpet bombing with post-Beatles Paul McCartney songs begins in 5 minutes.”</p>

<p>Oh driver, that was low.</p>

<p>All I can say is “Muskrat Love”!</p>

<p>Thankfully, you didn’t actually name “OPen the Door, Let me In,” or “Ebony and Ivory.”</p>

<p>Stand by for impact: the much-dreaded “Silly Love Songs” is headed your way.</p>

<p>Sidestepping nimbly, she throws a quick Ringo Starr:</p>

<p>“you’re sixteen, you’re beautiful, and you’re mine”</p>

<p>A Mac Davis Bunker-buster: “Baby, baby, don’t get hooked on me.”</p>

<p>“Seasons in the Sun” </p>

<p>Take that!</p>

<p>Frank Sinatra singing “Mrs. Robinson.” The second most horrible thing I’ve ever heard.</p>

<p>Thank the lord, I never heard that. </p>

<p>Gotta go, you keep the battle going</p>

<p>and, “the Night Chicago Died”</p>

<p>For those into the minutiae of the Monkeys let me just add that the ‘dreamy one,’ Davy Jones, is my father’s 2nd cousin. Dad’s met him though the rest of the family has been spared the teethy smile and romantic affectations (he’s in his 60’s now…but then again so are Mich Jagger and Kieth Richards with the only significant difference being talent and orthopedics).</p>

<p>The Monkees had some darn good songs. An old friend of mine who was a pretty big star locally did only a handful of covers (because his own stuff was so good). Among them: “Last Train to Clarksville” and “I’m a Believer.” As is the case with all good covers, he made them his own, though. Whew. Just had an “old” flash.</p>

<p>Driver,</p>

<p>Cassandra Wilson does a really beautiful version of ‘Last Train to Clarksville”—Jazz-Blues version.</p>

<p>Well, this morning NPR had an item that featured Glen Campbell’s “I am a lineman for the county…” and I can’t get his nasal voice out of my head.</p>

<p>Garland: Seasons in the Sun is an adaptation of a Jacques Brel song which is not in the least maudlin. It is in fact quite biting.</p>

<p>FS and Marite, I love hearing cool covers of all kinds. It can bring out the best in both the piece and the musician (not so with Frank S and his “Mrs. Robinson” adventure.) Marite, go see Johnny A. He’s a Boston treasure, and he does a solo electric guitar version of Lineman that is riveting. He is without question the greatest guitar player most people have never heard of . He’s at the House of Blues a lot. No kidding, best guitar player since Danny Gatton left the planet. Just smokin’ unbelievable. Total virtuoso. (Sorry…I’ll be seeing him in Philly in November, and I’m already psyched.) :)</p>

<p>Thanks, Driver. Will let S1, the guitar player, know. I’m more of a classical music person myself.</p>

<p>“I’m more of a classical music person myself.” :slight_smile:
I’ve seen Nigel Kennedy do Beethoven and Hendrix in the same performance…:slight_smile: Unbelievable. But yes, if your son hasn’t seen Johnny A yet it should be a priority. <a href=“http://www.johnnya.com%5B/url%5D”>www.johnnya.com</a></p>

<p>Marite–I didn’t know that. My H is a huge Jacques Brel fan, but I’ve never really gotten into his music.</p>

<p>Hmmm. Don’t know Nigel Kennedy. And I don’t think I would recognize a Jimmy Hendrix. Juliam Bream would be a different matter. Old fuddy-duddy me. We have earphones in our house so that we can all listen to different kinds of music.</p>