Songs you can't get out of your head (but wish you could)

<p>Garland:</p>

<p>Does your H like Georges Brassens? My niece told me that his songs were assigned in her literature class in her lycee (well after my time!). Jacques Brel’s songs sound much better in French (and in his Belgian accent) than in the English adaptations of Jacques Brel is Alive and Well in Paris.</p>

<p>do-wah diddy-diddy down diddy-do
do-wah diddy-diddy down diddy-do</p>

<p>BAsically it’s the “Alive and Well” recording he adores --grew up hearing his parents play it(never heard him mention Brassens).</p>

<p>tsdad:</p>

<p>I grew up learning French lyrics to American pop tunes. That do-wah…
triggers memories of those lyrics sung at top voice by a French pop singer who sang out of tune but became very famous anyway.</p>

<p>Je me souviens de ces beaux jours
Quand nous etions a nos premiers amours
Maintenant, tu n’es plus la
Mais moi, je pense encore a toi.</p>

<p>Do be do be do, do be do dum dum
Do be do be do, do be do dum dum…</p>

<p>‘Popcorn’ - a synthesizer song.</p>

<p>“Happy Jack” never made me happy. . .</p>

<p>If anyone watches Rockstar: INXS you’ll know what I mean…</p>

<p>TREES (yuk)</p>

<p>Pretty Vegas (yea)</p>

<p>If I never hear the insidious “Alone Again, Naturally” again, it’ll be too soon.</p>

<p>Although it’s hard to get out of my head once I’ve heard it, I rather like “1985” – it’s really clever.</p>

<p>(When did Motley Crue become Classic Rock? … There was U2, and Blondie, and music still on MTV…)</p>

<p>Mootmom:
Awesome choice. I hope to be able to come up with something equally horrific, but since I won’t be able to sleep now, with that damn thing going through my head, it will be tough. The horror…the horror. I’m trying to channel Janis Ian right now, to get out of this funk. She had something that drove me insane too.
Edit: I concede. “Alone again” is the most awful musical thing that I’d ever forgotten about. How could you do this to me? I hadn’t thought about it in at least 20 years. If I think of anything to throw back in the morning, it will be vicious indeed.</p>

<p>“At Seventeen”?</p>

<p>(PS: I have a Swedish friend who actually claims to <em>like</em> Gilbert O’Sullivan. I kid you not.)</p>

<p><incredibley loud=“” primal=“” scream=“”>
Nice. Ouch. Twist the knife, why don’t you? Fortunately we have some good Scotch here.</incredibley></p>

<p>I’d say “I got a million of 'em”, but thankfully I only have about a dozen. Which is just about a dozen too many.</p>

<p>(For those who are not familiar with the painful pieces cited above, you are welcomed to peruse the lyrics to [Alone</a> Again, Naturally](<a href=“Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos”>www.geocities.com/merrystar3/allysongs/AloneAgain.htm) and [At</a> Seventeen](<a href=“http://www.janisian.com/lyric-at_seventeen.html]At”>www.janisian.com/lyric-at_seventeen.html). I will leave MP3 clips from Amazon.com as an exercise for the reader.)</p>

<p>I’ll take “Alone Again—Naturally” over The Captain and Tennille’s “Muskrat Love” ANYDAY of the year!</p>

<p>The Lion Sleeps Tonight…argghhhhh…just thinking about the song that never ends…oh yeah, that one too</p>

<p>“The Pina Colada Song” although I am not even sure if that is it’s real name.</p>

<p>Hangin’ around
Nothin’ to do but frown
Rainy days and Mondays
Always get me down.</p>

<p>laxmom
We watch Rockstar here…because of the Houseband…they are awesome,can play anything really really well and some of the wannabees are just great.S is going around singing the “Trees” song rather than the Pretty Vegas b/c he says its “ironic”.Pretty Vegas ,he says is “mimickry”.Go figure.
As far as songs that get stuck in your head…anything they are featuring on the car commercials seems to get stuck…right now its “Dust in the Wind” from some commercial…an SUV of some kind I think?</p>

<p>Cathymee . . .these marketing people know what they are doing, don’t they! Whenever I see that ad on TV about some cruise line with the theme song “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” it drives me crazy for hours. Durn, now I’ve done it.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>We used to get live versions of that one around here a lot - played on a marimba. D is the only person I know who owns two marimbas, even though she is supposed to be bassoonist. “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” seems to be a standard piece to teach to young percussionists.</p>

<p>Re post 56, I used to have to perform these tunes and more pop drivel of the early 70s in one of the Army bands. Ahhhh creative freedom…</p>