Daughter did one semester at Boulder, hated it with a passion, took second semester off to travel. She is now considering transfer options for the fall or spring.
Stats: 4.7 gpa in high school, 3.8 from first semester at CU
SAT: 1380
We’re from outside of Boulder, so school was waaaay too close to home. Things she disliked about CU: too much of the Greek life vibes, drinking, too big, too loud, too busy in general.
I think she would be much happier at a SLAC or smaller university. Her wish list: warmer climate, sun, liberal, LGBTQ+ friendly. She speaks multiple languages, ASL degree/certificate a plus but not mandatory. No clue as to what she wants to major in.
We will likely not qualify for any financial aid, so having trouble making a list where we are not in the hole for 80k+ a year. (Scripps, Pomona, Elon, etc.) I think she might like Cal Poly, but we have not toured, and they only accept transfers as a junior.
Hendrix in Conway, Arkansas, is at least pretty far south, and it is a very nice LAC which has a relatively low full pay cost.
There are some public LACs she could consider which again are not too bad OOS. St Mary’s in Maryland, Mary Washington in Virginia, UNC-Asheville, and New College in Florida would be examples.
College of Charleston is on the smaller size for a public university. Getting a little pricier OOS, but maybe worth checking out.
I note I haven’t specifically looked at ASL, transfer policies, or LGBTQ+ issues for any of these.
I understand you don’t want to pay full COA…is there a budget you are trying to hit? Or will you pay full COA for a good fit?
It’s tricky building a list without her HS courses/rigor…her HS record will be a large part of the admissions evaluation.
Maybe look at Elon (relatively low COA for private school), U Denver (not warm, maybe too close to home?), Chapman, Santa Clara, Furman, Fordham (not warm), American, Trinity U in Tx. Some might be $$ if she gets no merit, but she could get merit…have to apply and see.
What other schools accepted her last year? Any interest in those?
Terrible in that she was deeply unhappy, but did fine academically.
Willing to go far, strong preference for a relaxed, mellow, liberal vibe. She’s a non-makeup wearing, smart, eccentric kind of person. Boulder was just too big, to crowded, too much of a wealthy, entitled vibe for her. (that being said, I love Boulder and feel like every experience is also what you make of it).
Sorry, I should have added more. We’re probably maxed out at 65k.
5 APs (Stats, Lang, Lit, IB math, Gov) passed all. She got into everywhere she applied. Got into Eckerd and it was on the list, but they do not have French or ASL, or Linguistics, which she would prefer as a minor. Not a deal breaker though. ( Also got into Colorado College, but was turned off by the one class at a time schedule; cost was 95k - no merit, only needs met. )
This is so helpful; I had not heard of Furman, nor considered Santa Clara ($$$ but maybe merit). Thank you!
This pretty accurately describes both my D22 and D26, though their personalities are different (“intense” and “very chill,” respectively). Both of them liked Trinity U in San Antonio - I think D26 would’ve happily attended had she not been admitted to a reach in ED1. Not sure whether transfers receive merit aid, but it’s on the cheaper side for this category of school and might be close to your budget anyway.
I also second the recommendation above for Hendrix College in Arkansas. I have a friend who fits your description and loved her experience there (and fwiw has gone on to a highly successful and lucrative career).
University of New Mexico is warmer, has plenty of sunny days, is in a LGBTQ+ friendly state with a progressive governor, and is half the size of CU. Not overwhelmingly Greek either.
UNM offer ASL certification and a ASL major within the linguistics dept. UNM also offers a variety of language programs : Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Navajo, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
The linguistics major and various language programs are eligible for the WUE and WUE+ tuition discounts. Yes, transfer students are eligible for WUE and WUE+.
This described D1 pretty closely and she actually transferred from Cal Poly-SLO to UNM because she desperately hated CP-SLO. For reasons not unlike your daughter’s.
Most of the LACs I can think of that offer significant merit and check your other boxes are not warm and sunny (St. Olaf, Macalester, Oberlin, Connecticut College, Mount Holyoke, and Grinnell come to mind). College of Charleston is worth checking out. What about William and Mary? Unlikely to get merit aid as an OOS student, but the overall tuition is little less (meaning about $10-20,000 less) than a typical private LAC. For warm, but maybe not sunny, what about Lewis and Clark, Evergreen, or Whitman?
ETA: Occidental in the LA area is a terrific school that would check all of your boxes and does offer some merit. Not a lot, though – more like a nice discount than substantial aid.
Based on the stated interests & preferences of OP’s daughter (warmer, liberal, LTGBQ+ friendly), I have never read a thread with so many inappropriate recommendations.
Agree with Oxy, Loyola Marymount, and Agnes Scott.
I think majority of good students at Rhodes (who got merit) usually do not pay more than 40k total per year…I have a kid there. It is not ideal but may work. Fraternities and Sororities are on campus but all students live in regular dorms. Of course some students drink as everywhere, but it is personal choice. I know for a fact that they take transfers.