Starting over after terrible semester:help making a new list [3.8 GPA in one semester of college, <$65k]

For sure. She could also live at home and take classes at CU (she deferred, not withdrew) while we look at other options.

1 Like

Eckerd has a religious bent? I did not see that anywhere, I thought it was non-sectarian. I’ll look closer. That would definitely be a factor. Will also look at U ofPacific and Merced…

1 Like

UC Merced? It’s CA, but the surrounding area is fairly conservative. Not much going on in the area either afaik.

My son toured and applied to Eckerd. I don’t remember anything being mentioned about religion. What about Univ of Mary Washington, Ithaca, or SUNY New Paltz. They all seem very LBGTQ friendly.

Take another look at Eckerd. They do have a French major.

I have a student at Eckerd. It seems to meet most of your wish list. Feel free to ask me questions. We have been very happy as a family with the education and environment. I definitely have envy every time we visit. It’s just wonderful to be right on the water.

2 Likes

I know people who have received great merit aid at Goucher, even as a transfer. At least that was the case a few years ago. Worth checking.

4 Likes

I don’t want to sidetrack - but often schools like Susquehanna that have more “need” for students will be more generous.

But your assessment on Dickinson is incorrect. Here’s a synopsis of all the schools - Lafayette and F&M are likely hardest but then Gettysburg and Dickinson with Allegheny next. Juniata and Susquehanna after the fact with Ursinus letting in most everyone.

Juniata, Susquehanna and Ursinus are far easier than Dickinson - but that might also bring more financial largesse as they are more needy for students. We’ve seen some Susquehanna students below $30K, as an example. Of course, blue state but maybe a red area.

I mean, there’s a million ways @caseyl13 can skin this cat for sure. A Lafayette, likely to be more expensive, but maybe closer to an airport, etc. Dickinson isn’t horribly far from the Harrisburg Airport and Ursinus similarly far from PHL, etc.

Anyway, hopefully @caseyl13 and student have some info to peruse and schools to research.

Acceptance Rate Test % 25/50/75 Top 10% Class
Allegheny 54.50% 37.70% 1165 / 1240 / 1355 25%
Dickinson 42.10% 36% 1330 / 1380 / 1440 46%
F&M 28.20% 34% 1330 / 1380 / 1430 50%
Gettysburg 38.90% 35% 1370 50th percentile NA
Juniata 78.30% 57% 1095 / 1170 / 1290 22%
Lafayette 31.40% 33% 1370 / 1420 / 1490 51%
Susquehanna - No CDS 79% 50% 1090 / 1250 12%
Ursinus - No CDS 92% Average Unweighted 3.5 N/A

No - sorry. I put two things in a paragraph.

I was saying Eckerd is a big party school - lots of drugs. A student friend dropped out due to it.

I was talking about Jesuit schools in the remainder - both required classes (typically academic we are told, not religious) and religious imagery on campus. For my kids (Jewish), that was a no. For other non Catholics, it’s fine.

Sorry to confuse.

But you noted the state matters - so Eckerd would be out. That’s the issue - few Southern state (i.e. warmer weather) are LGBTQ friendly. But if you’d consider Eckerd, you might also look at Rollins. But now you are in Florida - and if that’s the case, the GA schools - whether all women’s Agnes Scott or Ogelthorpe might be better to look at in that Atlanta is very blue.

1 Like

It’s not - I merged paragraphs - didn’t realize.

@SJ2727 - I think this is a lot of the LACs too - like in Pennsylvania and even NY - the state leans one way but many areas don’t. But something has to give.

In your original message, you said Dickinson wasn’t easy to get TO. I took that as meaning transportation wise and I was responding to that, not whether it was easier to get INTO. I’m well aware that some of the other schools are easier to get into.

Hi there. I wanted to second the suggestions on here for Occidental (Oxy) and Scripps which is an all womens college (very LGBTQ+ friendly) but also part of the Claremont schools so small but with access to more students and opportunities. My daughter applied to both last year, and CU, and was accepted at all of them with merit aid. Her stats were a bit higher than your kid’s and Scripps was the most generous of the bunch giving her a 25K merit scholarship which did bring the final cost down to around 68K.

We live in CA and she ended up choosing a UC school but I thought Scripps was amazing. The campus is gorgeous, they really emphasize the small class sizes and the student-professor relationships. Plus, students can take classes at the the other Claremont schools like Pomona, Pitzer, Harvey Mudd and CMC.

Oxy has a lot to offer as well, small school in a big city, but for my daughter is was a little too small and their merit offer was 15K, but they have larger awards. I think one of her friends was offered 25K or 35K last year. Both schools check a lot of the boxes on you daughter’s wishlist.

Good luck to her, I hope she finds a place she loves.

5 Likes

Please check the specific colleges…because some of these do not offer generous merit aid to transfer students. And this could very well impact getting the costs down to $65,000 a year.

5 Likes

Yes, to get to - as in physically.

That’s why I said not easy to get to. But neither are many of the others. You’d have to fly to Harrisburg. But the Allegheny’s of the world would be tough too. But Dickinson would be better than many on the list for travel from an airport.

OP said the student will go far - but do they want to be near an airport? It’s not often at least, that you fly, unless you get homesick - then you might go home or mom might come to you.

At the same time, OP doesn’t want to be around constant wealth, so while I don’t know wealth of each student profile (can look up need stats), wondering if it’s wealthier and if a Susquehanna would be better. Both Dickinson and Conn College (difft state) have over half the kids on need aid at least.

I don’t know but suspecting a UVM mentioned upthread might be wealthy too? But a New Paltz not - but very very very very local and NY oriented.

Coming to a small LAC from the West, especially a 2nd - 3rd tier level, you’ll not have near the geographic diversity as others - but you might also not have crazy wealth.

Connecticut College still sounds like a good one for this student, to me.

I’m sure they have lots to investigate now.

1 Like

You make a very important point!!!

Scripps says $15-30K for first years and doesn’t mention merit at all for transfers.

If they don’t show transfer aid on their website (any school), reach out and ask before going down a research and visiting path for a school not possible.

Was just about to reiterate his. Many schools do not offer merit money for transfers. Smith does, FWIW.

3 Likes

Agree with the Oregon and Washington schools (Willamette, L&C, Puget Sound, University of Seattle, Whitman.) All small, excellent academics, decent weather, not big party, queer friendly.

Also Agnes Scott for sure!

My D25 has 2 LGBTQ high school friends who are loving their experience at University of New Mexico. Even as OOS students, the cost is lower than our in-state flagship.

5 Likes

Ditto. Goucher has been very generous with merit aid in the past. It has had its financial and enrollment issues, but is a great little school. Definitely worth a look.

2 Likes

Any schools in Hawaii that might work?

I would also suggest that she look at CSU San Marcos. It’s not a big Cal State. It’s in Northern SD County.

They do have sororities and Frats but there’s not that kind of pressure there because there is so much to do outside of campus.

The North County Beaches are ~20 minutes west of campus. If she decides to use her ASL expertise, to become a Teacher of the Hearing Impaired, she can start her process there -through the SLP program or go into deaf and HOH studies at Northridge (bigger campus).
USD would be more expensive but she might get some merit dollars.

1 Like