Studies in Canada

Many ask if international students can receive financial help studying in Canada. First, you need to have IELTS 7. Second you need to have more than 85% per semester to receive only one time scholarship (500$). International students are underestimated and have much lower marks than they really have to receive. In general, forget about financial aid. Canada is a country that likes to make effortlessly money. International students pay 2,5 more expensive than a domestic student. Plus only domestic students get financial help. Which is 500$ per month for a not working student. If an international student has a learning disability he has to pay 2,000$ to get tested his level of learning.

Many Canadian universities offer need and merit based aid to international students, McGill offers both. most are looking for students with adequate academic preparation that will allow them to succeed. Internationals pay more because you and your parents have never paid the taxes in Canada that support the universities.

Even if you have 85% you need to work voluntarily 8 hours per week for College in order to get bursary. Phisically you can’t find time to do volunteering so much Homework. The bus trips to college are not direct, when you get by car in 10 min to college and to pay parking 5$ per hour. By bus the same destination points take 1 hour and a half. Parking is 120$per semester. Closet for books inside college are 30$ per semester. Besides books you need to buy key codes to online access to tests in order to get 10% of final mark. One 0,5 l of water costs 2,5 $ in the interior of college. One breakfast at college is 12$ eggs with toast and fried potatoes. The food is too spiced, not healthy food, just junk food. All food contains GMO. One book is not less than 100$. Sometimes 200$. Especially they change the books editions each year in order to buy new books. Older books cannot be sold at library nor at student union, you just won’t see your book on shelves as it would have been sold. Later, they give back your books. All these in order to sell new books from library. Studies for international students are stressful. The tests only 10% are based on learned material. Have no congruence with what you learned at 80% from subjects. Only one thing good that 80%of professors are professional. 20% don’t help students read the PowerPoints and go home. There is no accent on practice on chosen specialty. At practice you need to do formal job not related to your specialty. Only 50 of tasks relate to specialty. Other who have co-op need to find their own place for practice work.

I’m sorry that you don’t seem to be enjoying your Canadian university experience. I don’t know what school you are attending but you seem to have had some incorrect expectations of what attending university in Canada would be like or what the cost of living would be. The cost of living in many Canadian cities is very high.

I don’t know what country you are from but you seem to have a deeply ingrained sense of entitlement. The majority of universities in Canada are public institutions not private. That means they are funded by the government based on revenue collected by tax payers. They do not give large amounts in scholarships or bursaries even to domestic students. They don’t have large endowments like many schools in the US in order to pay out large scholarships. This is something you should have investigated before deciding to attend your current school. Why would Canadian tax payers pay for you to attend school here? If you needed financial aid to attend university perhaps it might have been a better choice for you to attend school in your home country. With regards to testing for a learning disability, health care is also funded by tax payers and not everything is covered for Canadians either. As a Canadian it cost me the same amount to have my child tested for a learning disability. Nothing in life is free. Someone has to pay the cost and as an international student you have to pay for your own.

I have no comment as to the cost and quality of food but I think you will find that that is a common complaint on most university campuses. You would be better off buying your own food at a grocery store off campus and doing your own cooking. Then you can avoid GMO foods if you choose, the food will be more to your liking, and the costs will be lower.

Transportation in Canada’s largest cities can be an issue (though I find it hard to believe that it would take you 90 minutes by transit to travel the distance of a 10 minute car ride). You could cut down on the time it takes to get to and from school by trying to find housing closer to the school, but depending on what city you are in (Toronto?, Vancouver?) housing costs can be expensive. Parking costs are expensive too.

Yes you have to pay for costs over and above tuition for books, services, parking etc. Yes they can be expensive but I know that many students manage to find used textbooks for cheaper. Perhaps you just don’t know where to find them.

You seem to have some incorrect expectations with regards to level of academic rigour at the school you are attending and the amount of work that would be required. Canada’s top universities are very academically rigorous and the expectation is that students are capable of managing their studies independently. Your school should however have a range of academic supports available to help you if you are struggling. You may need to look more into what services are available to help you with your studies. You do not however seem to understand the difference between the academic expectations of high school vs university. In high school your teachers tell you exactly what to learn and do and your tests will be mostly on memorized material. That is not how it works in university. In university you are expected to “understand” at a deep level and to be able to analyze and apply the knowledge to new situations. It’s not just about memorizing facts.

It is not your professors’ job to help you read their lecture presentations. In attending school here it is expected that you have a high enough level of proficiency in English to be able to manage your classes. I’m not sure what level of English IELTS 7 is but based on your post I have to say that your English does not appear to be at a level that is sufficient for university study. It is perhaps this reason that you are struggling and finding that it is taking you so much time to do your homework. Also, if you do have a learning disability perhaps choosing to study in a language you are not proficient in may not have been the best choice.

8 hours of volunteer time per week in exchange for free money does not seem like an onerous expectation. Many Canadian students manage part-time jobs, commuting, and time for recreation, in addition to their studies. Again I would encourage you to see what types of academic supports are available at your school that may help you to manage your time better though I expect your biggest challenge is your lack of English proficiency.

I’m not entirely clear what you mean by this comment. Since I don’t know what school you are attending or what you’re studying I can’t comment on the quality of your school’s co-op program or the career resources available to you.