Substitute General Ed Math

<p>Does anyone know if there is a way someone can substitute General Ed Math for another course? For example, I would take a science class instead of math. Math has always been a BIG no HUGE struggle in my life and the only reason why I passed in high school is because I cheated. Ever since I was in 3rd grade I always had issues in math and was never fully able to understand it, it's been a major stress in my life. Plus, I want to be an English teacher. It's ridiculous how just because I can't pass math that I won't be able to succeed in becoming an English teacher.
Someone please help me out, advice please :(?</p>

<p>Just take an Intro to Statistics course. I used to be good in math until high school when I had HORRIBLE teachers, I struggled with Intermediate Algebra in college, but I passed Statistics with a B. Your problem may be that it doesn't make sense if it's all theoretical and not the least bit applicable. Statistics is completely different, you can very easily apply what you learned in real life. I have to say it is one of the most useful classes I've ever taken. It's insanely easy too, just plugging numbers given to you in a formula.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, Math is required. Depending on what you are placed in, you wouldn't be able to take Stats as the above post mentioned until you completed Intermediate Algebra. The best thing you can do is search up Rate</a> My Professors | Find and rate your professor, campus and more - RateMyProfessors.com and find a good instructor. I remember back in my high school year Geometry was tough because of my teacher so I ended up failing one semester of it. I took another teacher and ended up understanding the concept and passing.</p>

<p>If all you still don't understand then I recommend a study session with anyone you might know or ask your professor for further assistance.</p>

<p>Colleges and universities take the position that they have an obligation to produce well rounded graduates. Therefore, they can not award a diploma to someone who has not demonstrated a minimal level of proficiency in a few disciplines that are fundamental to an education. Math majors can not get a degree without passing courses in English and History. Along with English and History, some knowledge of Math is expected in a college graduate. </p>

<p>While it is true that some people have a better aptitude for Math than others, with enough effort any reasonably intelligent person should be able to pass a course like Intermediate Algebra.</p>

<p>^Well they sure aren't producing well rounded ones. Seeing as how A LOT of teachers and college professors honestly don't give a damn about their students. And I speak from experience.
If someone is passionate about a subject and enjoys it, why make them go through something that causes them stress and is a huge obstacle that can prevent them from becoming someone great.
And yeah 'some' math is expected from every person. But not crazy ones that involve like 10 formulas in each section that I am not even going to need in my life. Maybe to some people who want to be engineers or carpenters...sure. But not 'everyone' needs it.
Also, who says 'you have to pass this certain level. If you do not, you aren't smart enough and therefor can't succeed in getting a degree in any other subject that you are very smart in and can make an impact." People say that, they make those ridiculous rules. A certain person or group, whomever made guidelines based on what 'they' believe. EVERYONE is different.</p>

<p>Look at Albert Einstein, he had dyslexia. Some researchers even claim he was autistic as well.</p>

<p>-Anyways, thanks for the two first posts for the advice. I have been in study groups and had tutors, but it's still hard for me to comprehend. I'm still of course am going to continue trying and give it my all regardless of the heavy amount of stress I am going through.</p>

<p>Have you tried seeking out more academic support on campus? Are you enrolled at a community college this semester?</p>