Suggestions for marine bio and writing

<p>I'm helping a niece take a final look at schools. She's interested in marine biology but not committed to it. She's also a great writer and might be interested in journalism. Any suggestions in the Northeast? Thanks</p>

<p>Bowdoin! (which has Coastal Studies) and Williams (they have a wonderful three-decade old Williams-in-Mystic program.) Both places will give her a workout as a writer.</p>

<p>Mini - perfect recommendations, im impressed.</p>

<p>Also, Bowdoin allows you to take the "Williams in Mystic" program as an off-campus experience with full credit. For those who don't know, Mystic is a restored 19th century seaport with all kinds of fantastic education programs, a planetarium, a real whaleship, etc. etc. It's in Connecticut.</p>

<p>My favorite course from the Mystic program. How perfect for someone interested in both the ocean and writing. </p>

<p>"Literature of the Sea: A study of the ways in which the sea has often filled the literary imagination and found expression in narrative, poetry, drama, and myth. Special emphasis is given to such authors as Melville, London, Steinbeck, Proulx, and Hemingway, as well as Shakespeare, Coleridge, Conrad, and Douglass. Format: small group tutorials with occasional larger classes and lectures, including coastal and near-shore field trips, and 10 days offshore."</p>

<p>Hm..Proulx mixed with the other authors. Interesting. I loved her 'Shipping News' but others in my family thought it was dreary.</p>

<p>Thanks all - I should add one more thing about my niece academically. She's an extremely hard working student, with a mix of honors and APs -weighted I think she's in the top 10 to 20 in her class of 250. But her SATs aren't as strong - 680 V, 570 M. SAT 2s in the mid 600 range - will take writing in December -this should be her best score. She's only taken the SATs once - (a mix of workload pressures and an illness that had her in the hospital for 3 weeks this Fall). She's going to try to take the SATs again, but given this info, are the Williams and Bowdoin suggestions still viable options?</p>

<p>Bowdoin ABSOLUTELY is, because they DO NOT REQUIRE SATs - the first college in the nation to do that, I am told (they instituted this change years ago).</p>

<p>Bowdoin is absolutely viable. You might also check out the College of the Atlantic, in Bar Harbor, Maine. Another really excellent choice would Mt. Holyoke - very strong in the sciences (at least as strong as the others), fine writing program with famous writers (Mary Jo Salter and Sven Birkett), and they are part of the 12-college exchange, and so students can do the Williams-in-Mystic Program. There is also a lot more happening for writing folks in the 5-college area than around Williams or Bowdoin.</p>

<p>(But I'd still think Bowdoin is likely the top choice. Check them all out.)</p>

<p>Also check out UMaine and UNH.</p>

<p>If she's really interested in Marine Biology she might want to look at some of the Florida schools. I'd rather study Marine Bio in the Florida sunshine than in Maine!</p>

<p>Boston University and U Delaware both have pretty good marine bio programs, too.</p>