tell school where I got off waitlist?

<p>Hi everybody -</p>

<p>I'm currently in the middle of sending off an e-mail to a school I enrolled at earlier this year. The reason for the e-mail is to tell them that I won't be attending this fall because I was taken off the waitlist at another school, and I'll be attending that school instead.
The question is, do I tell the first school where I was taken off the waitlist or do I keep that to myself?</p>

<p>Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!</p>

<p>Sure you can tell them, but there is no ethical or moral reason that you should. If you have bonded with the regional rep, it would be a nice-thing to do since most colleges do track such things, but that is the college's marketing issue and not your responsibility. (IMO, a college's marketing research is their $$.) If you are attending the WL college due to better finaid, I would definitely tell them that fact.</p>

<p>Instead of an e-mail, I'd recommend a short two-three line letter sent by snail mail. Remember to thank them for their consideration/offer.</p>

<p>Congrats on getting off the WL. Good luck.</p>

<p>While a snail mail response is certainly more dignified, it delays the school in offering his slot to someone still on the WL. So I vote email, and tell them were you are going.</p>

<p>^^Statistically, that is a fallacy. The college pretty much knows when it goes to a WL, only xx % will accept. Thus, they build yield into the calculation of how many acceptances to offer from the WL. (For Harvard, that yield factor might be 90+%, but for Podunk U, it might be 10%....)</p>