That Academic Barrier

<p>Please read this post:
I found out that this is how the process is in most Ivies.</p>

<p>First a secretary arranges the applications according to SAT scores and summarizes the info on the apps. (Every app is read by the admissions committee but they do tend to rely on the clerks summary as well remember they are over 20 thousand apps)</p>

<p>Then based on academic standing people who the college thinks cannot handle the academic rigor at HYP based on Class rank - Rank is King remember that (VERY IMPORTANT especially for URMS) GPA's and very low SAT scores are cut. Teacher Recommendations are also VERY important at this stage and later on in the process.</p>

<p>*Applicants with an extremely moving personal story - ie I survived genocide or something along those lines MAY be moved onto the next stage.</p>

<p>Then with the remaining applicants all of whom could be successful when admitted are considered. Normally no less then half of the applicants are in this pile.</p>

<p>From this pile the committee starts to look at ECAs for community involvement, ecas, sports recruitment, leadership and other things like this to distinguish between candidates. Here the secretaries summary is very important because they are the ones that pick up the ones that stand out to them in terms of ECAs etc which makes it more likely for an admission officer to take a closer look at that particular file. Additional cuts are made here whittling it down to candidates with brilliant academic standing and ecas. (This stage is pretty tricky - one year like this year for instance they may want to expand the arts at Ivies so people with a strong background in the arts will be admitted in a greater proportion than the rest. They also try to get people who excel in different areas to make a well rounded CLASS not necessarily a well rounded individual. So if you are a debater you compete against other debaters for that position for instance. If you are bland, boring and stereotypical this is where you may get cut despite your awesome academic achievements. It is not uncommon for people with perfect scores to be cut at this stage while people with lower scores go through because they are different and stand out. At this stage AA for URMs and legacy and developmental cases kick in and give you a boost.
A very strong teacher recommendation and an interview recommendation can save you at this point from getting cut.</p>

<p>Finally the essays come into play to whittle down the playing field even more. For instance if they are two individuals who are equally distinguished academically and ECA wise the essay will be the deciding factor between the two. Here the school looks for unique experiences that will enrich student life on campus. Individuality is key here. If you get rejected from Ivies with a perfect 2400 look no further than your weak essay followed or alternatively superbly weak ecas.</p>

<p>And then the remaining apps are put to a vote in the committee a majority is necessary for admission ! Though everyone denies it my father believes there is some luck involved depending on where in the pile you fall. For instance you may come right after some amazing kid and that is what costs you the one vote you needed its human nature. But they claim this does not happen but i am pretty sure it does matter.</p>

<hr>

<p>Now: did I jump over the first hurdle?
SAT:2370+
SATIIs: US:800 MII:800
GPA: 3.7UW 3.8W (Took/Taking 17APs in 2 years)
Class rank: top 5 percent 121 (very competitive, and sometimes stupid: grade deflation with no specific reason
Senior Year: 8 APs (All As; have to ask for predicted grades though) plus 4 (self.)
PM me for my transcript! Thanks!!</p>

<p>You see, I am not a lazy slacker. It is just that my school is so hard! If you look at my SAT, you know that I am not a dummy.</p>

<p>Thanks guys!</p>

<p>What you said doesn't sound true at all.</p>

<p>sounds about right to me.</p>

<p>and uh, OP, i don't know why you need to ask, but you definitely cross academic hurdle.</p>

<p>That GPA is bad.</p>

<p>I think he's fishing for compliments, but whats funny is that a lot of the students here have better stats than him.</p>

<p>you typed a lot of words but said little. Most people know what the admission process is like.</p>

<p>You guys actually think its like this? With stages and everyone considered at the same time?</p>

<p>I always assumed it was each regional officer's job to choose their competitive applicants from their region and then present them to the entire admissions office.</p>

<p>it might differ from school to school, but there is always some whittling down along the way. i don't believe there are enough officers, or enough time for officers to read each and every application themselves, even if they split the work. on the other hand, i have heard of having clerks summarize applications for the officers. </p>

<p>if you think about it, 95% of people at top schools have great scores like >2200. and everybody here knows having a great SAT score is a basic prerequisite for a decent shot, even if the essays, ECs, recs are the ultimate deciding factors later on.</p>

<p>doesn't matter anyway. whatever they do, i'm sure they know how to do it better than we do :)</p>

<p>I saw last night this guy posted the same thing on the Yale forum, and they explained the system to him in a better way.</p>

<p>Yale does have specific regional officers.</p>

<p>By AnAsianStudent:

[quote]
That GPA is bad.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes, I agree. But you must take the grade deflation part into account. I know that it is not hard at all to get a 4.0 in most public schools. I took 12 classes both 9th and 10th grade, which is pretty common in my school. I highly doubt that there are public schools (other than like famous ones, e.g Walt Whitman, Thomas Jefferson,..etc)</p>

<p>Also,
[quote]
I think he's fishing for compliments, but whats funny is that a lot of the students here have better stats than him.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I am definitely not looking for compliments. And this is only my GPA that you are taking into account. If you look at my class rank, I am salutatorian.
And I have not met many people with higher stats than mine, at least the numbers. If you think 2370 and 4 800s are not great, then you must be in the level of christiansoldier.
God! 2400 and 2400! OMG!
haha best of luck to you AnAsianStudent!</p>

<p>
[quote]
I saw last night this guy posted the same thing on the Yale forum, and they explained the system to him in a better way.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes, they did. Thank you for the clarification. Also, I found out that this is a very old evaluation process of Harvard, like back in the 80s. I found an old thread and I decided to revive it. :)</p>

<p>
[quote]
you typed a lot of words but said little. Most people know what the admission process is like.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Just like I previously elaborated, I found this thread, and decided to copy it because I was really curious.
Now I know that there are regional officers.
ChairmanGuo, could you please help me out?</p>

<p>Well, all in all, thank you guys for your helpful comments. My problem is: How do I explain that our school has EXTREME grade deflation? Nobody in our school ever, yes, ever had a 4.0. And so far, we sent about 3 kids to the Ivies, and about 25+ to Cambridge, LSE, and Oxford.</p>

<p>So please help me out! Should I retake my SAT to get a 2400 and 2400 subject test scores?
I have 17 APs, but should I have more? I personally think more than 17 APs is just for the sake of college applications. I only chose the subjects that I was deeply interested in.</p>

<p>ask your GC to explain it if you can. ask him or her to write a short note</p>

<p>How?
Sorry if I am being too bold, but how can I do that?
ex.) Our school has grade deflation. =( that does not sound right, or?</p>

<p>thanks screwitlah</p>

<p>LebronJames</p>

<p>Your guidance counselor can include a description of your school's grading system when he sends in your transcripts. This may already be their policy if their grading system differs from other schools around. You should check.</p>

<p>Also, colleges have a very detailed knowledge of different high schools around the country based on years of applicants being reviewed. Unless your school is new, they are probably already aware of the grade deflation issue.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Your guidance counselor can include a description of your school's grading system when he sends in your transcripts. This may already be their policy if their grading system differs from other schools around. You should check.</p>

<p>Well, the grading is easy. 92 is an A-. But teachers are way too strict about grades... =(</p>

<p>Well, rank is king right? I am sal right now, so I guess that will help.</p>

<p>
[quote]
And I have not met many people with higher stats than mine, at least the numbers.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>So why post this thread asking whether or not you are "academically qualified" when you hold a conviction that you are? After all, you are asking for feedback, are you not? You're pretty much contradicting yourself...</p>

<p>My biggest concern was my transcript.
I kept hearing that transcript was the most important aspect of your app, but I didn't know how to explain grade deflation. I mean my other numbers are okay. But transcript is what you did for 4 years.</p>

<p>That was my biggest concern.
Thanks for your helpful reply! :)</p>

<p>Btw, if i may ask, where are you applying?</p>

<p>Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, UCLA, UC Berkeley.</p>

<p>Also, just another FYI - cross-posting in different forums is generally frowned upon around these parts.</p>

<p>Sorry, I will keep that in mind!</p>

<p>Good luck to you!</p>