The "Bag A Week" Club

Wen through another kitchen cabinet and have a box of decorative bowls to give to the next rummage sale I hear about in town. Also gave away a pasta maker I never used (new in box) and posted a vcr/dvd player on facebook marketplace (although the last two things I posted there never sold).

3 Likes

There’s an Ikea desk with hutch in one room that hasn’t been used by anyone in years. I’ve been cleaning it off for years. Every time I get somewhere, somebody in the family comes along and dumps more stuff on it.

Anyway, I am getting closer. But the hutch has a top shelf filled with a couple dozen PC computer games from the 90s. Like, the Zoombinis, JumpStart Kindergarten, etc. Games I bought for my stepdaughters (who now have babies). I think I’m going to box them up and put them in a (overstuffed) closet. Nobody will let me get rid of them – even though they don’t have any way of actually using them anymore! – but I’m tired of looking at them.

2 Likes

The games gotta go! The ones (your kids) who enjoyed them are making them your problem to deal with - if they are the ones who want them kept, then whatever their personal space is (their bedroom in your home or their dorm room or their apt or house) - turn them over and make them find a spot for them! If they can’t play them anymore, all they are is a literal physical reminder of a memory!

4 Likes

I organized many of My Christmas ornaments yesterday. I bought 3 big ornament storage things and put many in them. I have several I’m willing to part with, and another storage container to fill. The storage containers are cloth, not plastic, and in the middle of the night I was googling very large plastic bins, because I worry about them being in the basement and not in plastic. Right now they are under a bed, so at least they are not taking up more visible space.

2 Likes

We have two 13-gallon totes filled with ornaments (we do a big tree). One tote is filled with the unbreakable ornaments, the ones the kids got to put up for years b/c it didn’t matter if they dropped them, lots of school projects and cute plastic/plaster/wood/fabric ornaments with meaning. The other has all the glass ones, and while there are a few light-weight boxes (individual ornament containers that they were sold in) within that tote, the majority of the ornaments are simply wrapped in tissue paper or newspaper. These totes get hauled up and down from the attic via a ladder every year and we haven’t broken an ornament yet. I look at those individual storage containers every year but never feel like it’s imperative; this system has worked for over 20 years.

1 Like

My system was about the same as yours, but we have way too many ornaments to put on one tree. I like being able to see them and decide which to use.

I have gotten rid of lots of stuff on Buy Nothing lately - multiple Longaberger baskets, some counter stools, a telescope and even a table saw among other things.

OTOH I have experienced a bit of frustration with people who post that they want something, I ask them to PM me for pickup address and time and I never hear from them! A few times I have had people not show up when they were supposed to pick up then we arrange a second time and they ghost me again! Sorry for the vent but it’s annoying.

3 Likes

I do t use FB but friends who do have the same frustration! I just put everything on the curb. In the last year or so that’s included a sewing machine, rocking chair and a bread maker . I don’t care if someone takes it to sell it I just want it gone!

3 Likes

Years ago I ramped up to THREE green/red ornament boxes (2 layers each), with the thought that the kids would each get one someday with their favorite ornaments. Last year I labeled them #1 (that is all I used this year), #2 and #3 (mostly old unneeded light strings, since we now have a tree with lights; most were given away this year with the old tree). Alas, not sure if the kids will ever want any. But as long as we are in the house with crawl space, I’ll keep all.

A bit of good progress was gathering my maybe-giveaway cookbooks. A younger neighbor will come look at them soon to take some to her house. The others will go back on shelf (maybe a few) and giveaway. I kept plenty of others, but it was time to thin out the cookbook collection since I often use online recipes and printed recipes from internet.

2 Likes

There was a time in my life when I had over 300 cookbooks! :scream:

3 Likes

Thanks. That made me feel better about the bookcase at left of photos that holds all my cookbooks and printed recipes… now with more free space due to declutter effort. Oh, a few more from my mother in my den closet (still a bit of shrine to her… she spent her last week there).

1 Like

Just went through my Halloween box. I haven’t decorated for Halloween in over 15 years. Reduced now to just a few things - rest in the garbage.

3 Likes

I am coming to the realization that after living for so many years in a house with ten closets, a wall of shelves in the basement, a two car garage, and a shed - I have a lot of stuff. How will I ever be able to live in a two bedroom apartment with only 3 closets?

6 Likes

We cleaned out the kitchen drawers last Monday. Threw away some stuff, packed some and put the essentials back in the drawers. Five days later, after cooking 15 meals (H and I fix our own breakfasts/lunches we take turns cooking dinner), we miss nothing. It’s actually easier to cook when we open a utensil drawer and it’s easy to find just what you need. I’m finding less stuff is more.

9 Likes

@kiddie I know what you mean. I really really want to declutter and downside. But accomplishing it is hard. I wish I could just snap my fingers and Make it happen!

2 Likes

@FallGirl I definitely should try this I swear I spend more time looking for utensils than I do using them! And I get very flustered and stressed because if it (I think that is an age thing - I fluster and stress very quickly nowadays).

3 Likes

I dumped some Christmas stuff this week, and I got rid of dishes I’ve had since I was 18. Bowls were looking pretty bad, so I trashed them, but plates went in donate pile. (As I was walking around our basement I noticed a new bag of Christmas stuff, including an entire brand new container of Christmas cooking cutters. 2 Steps forward, 1 step back).
My husband said he thinks he can get rid of the Halloween stuff too - yay!

4 Likes

Well I’ve been googling how to declutter :roll_eyes:. I actually did a mini thing suggested on one site as a small way to start. Emptied everything out of the medicine cabinet onto the countertop. Cleaned i to he cabinet. Sorted everything and threw away expired stuff and stuff I don’t use. Put everything back but somewhat organized. Now there is room in the cabinet for some stuff that was sitting on the bathroom counter and bedside table. And I can find stuff!

Baby step. And I mean baby. But I was surprised the difference it made and I did get a small sense of achievement from it.

And yes, I keep opening the cabinet and feeling pleased with myself. Kind of like when I learned the Marie Kondo method of folding underwear :grin:

13 Likes

The journey of 1000 miles begins with one step.

6 Likes

I don’t have a utensil drawer. Instead, I spray-painted two large garden pots from Home Depot (wrong decor for this house but haven’t gotten around to replacing) and keep the pots on the counter close to the spaces where I use those utensils.

(Kitchen Rule #1: Utensils are not allowed in the dishwasher; they must be washed and returned to their corresponding pot directly after use so they are never absent when the cook needs them.)

4 Likes