The best part of the year is finally upon us... let the NHL playoffs begin!

Great game last night…lightning struck for the Hawks with their two late game goals!

I think the Lightning ticket and visitors’ apparel policy is being blown out of proportion. The visitors not being allowed to wear their team colors only applies to about 1400 of the arena’s 19,000 seats and also in two of the arena’s bars near those 1400 seats. Visiting team fans can get all the tickets they can afford from the secondary market. The Lightning may change their policies next season after all the criticism.

http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/lightnings-ticket-limits-stir-serious-debate-as-well-as-howls-20150603/

I think it’s been blown out of proportion, too. It is only applicable to a select number of seats that have access to a restricted entry lounge. I understand why they would want to create a hometown atmosphere in that space. Emanuel’s statement is pretty silly, in light of what the actual situation is at the Amalie.

It reminds me of a situation at Ottawa’s arena in recent years. Season ticket holders have been urged not to sell their seats to out of town fans who will then wear the opposing team’s sweaters. When the Leafs play there, you’d think you were at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. Same with the Habs. I don’t think that there’s anything wrong with a team trying to create a special atmosphere for games in their arena.

As for the game, Chicago did, indeed steal that one. Tampa Bay came close to vanishing in the third, and you can’t do that. Crawford continues to come up big for them. That save on the Callaghan breakaway probably won the game for them, as much as the two late goals.

Concerning the “blown out of proportion” sentiment, I’m not at all surprised for two reasons.

First, the media needs storylines. Tampa is a small market and quite frankly, national coverage needs some “hook”. The average sports fan (not necessarily hockey) can have an opinion about the policy and chime in.

Second, this has definitely been a recurring storyline for Blackhawks fans. (Keep the Red Out)

Nashville: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/chi-nashville-predators-trying-keep-out-blackhawks-fans-again-20150327-htmlstory.html

St Louis: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/23/new-blues-ticket-policy-aimed-at-hawks-fans-we-see-too-many-red-jerseys/

I think the Coyotes actually embrace the Chicago turnout. :))

Anyway, I do understand why they have their ticket and jersey restrictions, but as a member of the opposing fanbase I also understand the reason why there is a backlash to the policy.

this occurred a month or so ago in a baseball stadium… guy behind home plate that was on tv was forced to take off his opposing team jersey.

so it is clearly not that rare (though, I think it is weird and unnecessary).

this occurred a month or so ago in a baseball stadium… guy behind home plate that was on tv was forced to take off his opposing team jersey.

so it is clearly not that rare (though, I think it is weird and unnecessary).

Edit: US sports are still behind European soccer in this regard, where they have “away sections” that put the opposing fans together (also keeps shenanigans to a minimum)

Yeah, I was at a Tampa Bay Bucs game in Tampa last fall and sitting in front of us was a family vacationing from England watching their first American football game. They couldn’t get over how fans for both teams were seated together in stands because they said in England fans for two soccer teams are seated separately I guess to cut down on fights and general opposing fans mayhem. In America fans will maybe taunt each other some in stands in good nature except for occasional drunks and idiots looking for trouble.

Not that you are tracking this thread today (you’d beter not be), but HAPPY WEDDING DAY! @romanigypsyeyes. My your team win on and off the ice and many happy returns on this special day. :x

Another great game last night. Wonder what’s up with Bolts’ goalie Ben Bishop? Bishop and coach are mum and backup goalie can’t tell us cuz he can’t speak English.

Yes, it’s quite the mystery. But did you see Luongo’s (Strombone’s) twitter post? Hilarious!

Thank you so very much, saintfan!

My guess with Bishop is that the stomach bug that has been going through TB’s players and front office has finally made its way to him.

It was an exciting game and clearly the Blackhawks are not going to have an easy time winning this series, as some fans were predicting. TB is a tough road team in the playoffs this year, so the next two should be interesting.

It’s been pretty quiet up there in Chicago ever since the Lightning scored that one goal just 13 seconds after the Blackhawks scored. Can’t wait for tonight’s game. Go 'Bolts!

Definitely! :)) I was happy I didn’t spend a small fortune to see the game. I also felt more comfortable yelling at my tv screen than I would at the UC. :wink:

As someone who has watched almost every single game, this has unfortunately been how the Hawks have played all season…very inconsistent. Oh well, we’ll just have to hope for the best here in Chicago…something we do a lot with our sports teams. :slight_smile: Go Blackhawks!

tied up at 2-2…

The NHL has got to love it.

Next game is Saturday night…and I think the Hawks need the extra day off.

I was talking to my trainer today about Bishop and he was saying Bishop is definitely hurt, no matter what the Lightning staff is saying. Lightning staff keep saying, he’s tall, it takes a long time for a tall person to get up from the ice. But my trainer has watched his movement and says there’s definitely something wrong, leading him to favor one side more than the other (I think he said left) when he gets up from the ice.

Will be interesting to see who they put in goal Saturday night.

Agree about Bishop…he looked to be favoring his left side.

Hockey players are really amazing…the way they play through “stuff”. Oduya is playing one handed since Kucherov slew footed him. It will be interesting to see the injury list after the series.

I’m following and rooting for my ‘hometown’ Bolts but I have to confess I feel a little out of place with NHL hockey seeing how I’ve never even ice skated being raised in Florida. I do feel more comfortable watching sports like pro football that I have at least participated in to some degree such as having at least played touch football or powderpuff football, me being a girl. Not too many people play hockey in Florida.

@lizard , you don’t have to feel out of place. A lot of hockey fans have never skated or played hockey. I have as I grew up in a family that loved hockey, started going to professional games in the early 60s. I spent much of my youth in arenas and grew up with two current NHL GMs. Although the number of hockey fans has increased dramatically since expansion, there were lots and lots before that in cities across the country where minor league teams played, including Florida! Teams played in Jacksonville and in St Petersburg.

In any case, no feeling out of place. There are fans of all kinds, and with all kinds of experience.

I completely agree with @alwaysamom. There are all kinds of fans, so enjoy, @lizard!..the more the merrier!

Here in the Chicago area, many fans have been accused of being “bandwagon fans”…as if that is a derogatory statement. I believe the people doing this are misguided on 2 levels. The first being the history of our particular team during the pre-Rocky era. The second is that new fans are NEEDED to help grow the sport.

For instance, it was the Stanley Cup Final and NBC didn’t televise games 3 and 4! Unbelievable!