The Lincoln Highway - August CC Book Club Selection

Our June selection is The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles, renowned author of the award-winning novels A Gentleman in Moscow and Rules of Civility.

The Lincoln Highway was Amazon’s pick for The Best Book of 2021, described as “a compassionate, hopeful, and compulsively readable tale full of wonderfully flawed characters trying to do the right thing in all the wrong ways.” The story, set in 1954, follows four young men who set out to travel the country in search of a fresh start, each trying to escape a troubled past that is never far behind. The novel spans just 10 days, as alternating characters describe the unexpected adventures they encounter on their remarkable road trip.

“Captivating . . . The Lincoln Highway has suspense, humor, philosophy, and a strong sense of time and place, moving quickly and surely toward a satisfying conclusion . . . Like the intercontinental route that it is named for, The Lincoln Highway is long and filled with intriguing detours. In the hands of a master wordsmith like Towles, it is definitely worth the trip.” —St. Louis Post-Dispatch

“Welcome to the enormous pleasure that is The Lincoln Highway, a big book of camaraderie and adventure in which the miles fly by and the pages turn fast. Set over the course of ten riveting days, the story of these four boys unfolds, refolds, tears, and is taped back together. When you aren’t actually reading the book, you’ll be worrying about the characters, so you might as well stay in your chair and keep reading.” —Ann Patchett, author of The Dutch House

Discussion begins August 1st. Please join us!

4 Likes

My book is off the waitlist and I have until 7/1 to pick it up and 3 weeks to read it before it’s due to be returned. I better move along on reading my “Drunk Tank Pink.” I’m 1/2 done.

2 Likes

Yay—will be picking up and starting “Lincoln Highway,” this week. “Drunk Tank Pink,” was interesting in a Freakonomics type of way. Provided food for thought about how we are affected by colors and surroundings.

Ok. I have Lincoln Highway on my coffee table. It looks pretty new and feels pretty substantial at 576 pages. I hope I can read it all before it’s due back at the library in 3 weeks.

The librarian was interested in my endorsement of “Drunk TankPink,” likening it to Freakonomics.

1 Like

You won’t have a problem finishing it within three weeks. I found it a quick read despite page count. Enjoy.

1 Like

Just put holds on both ebook and hard copy. It’s very popular!