The residential real estate market is starting to turn around...

<p>Of course experts saw the bubble and warned about it. Unsophisticated borrowers didn’t hear them. They heard the nightly news reporting that prices were spiraling out of control, and friends and family who were panic-buying, and lenders who were more than willing to reinforce those fears and lend them money.</p>

<p>Yea dad-of-3… Your son has chosen a very expensive place to live…</p>

<p>I can’t see housing ever “affordable” there…</p>

<p>But that is where a lot of the creative people are…</p>

<p>There are places in the east bay that are more affordable…and I guess are commuting distance…Fremont…I don’t know…</p>

<p>But at your son’s age…might as well live where the action is…
Location trumps housing…</p>

<p>And they just keep building.
[Business</a> & Technology | Empty, foreclosed houses burden cities, neighborhoods | Seattle Times Newspaper](<a href=“http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2017486066_covington12.html]Business”>http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2017486066_covington12.html)</p>

<p>Dad<em>of</em>3, the other side of Menlopark is Newark, cheaper.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>^^and you can have mine…1900sf on .2 acre…:)</p>

<p>however, I regret I did not buy that MP house on the Green St.</p>

<p>I had a look at Fremont in the late 1990s when I ws in SF for meetings as it was the cheap place to live. The cheapest homes were still two to three times as expensive as comparable homes in NH. We stayed where we were.</p>

<p>Realized there was huge bubble when a perosn who worked retail, entered the mortgage broker business, started his own firm, and couldn’t count the money he was making fast enough…HS grad, no college, and was making 7 figures…this was 2003…</p>

<p>BCEagle91, I haven’t been to Fremont in a long time…I don’t know what Fremont looks like. :)</p>

<p>Qdogpa…yeah…mortgage brokers were making great money…
I hope they saved some of that money.</p>

<p>This looks like a very good site…</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.homeinsight.com/home-value/ca/fremont.asp[/url]”>http://www.homeinsight.com/home-value/ca/fremont.asp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>^^BCEgale,</p>

<p>The difference between stay in NH and buy the lowest priced house in the “Mission SJ” district of Fremont is:</p>

<p>The same 200K house would be about $1Million in Mission SJ while it might be still 200K after the housing crash in today’s market.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>We looked at condos there for about $250K back in the 1990s. I had a look at the prices for those condos today and they are running about double - in the $500K area. Basically pocket change.</p>

<p>The thing that was a turnoff was how cityish it was. There are some citys that I like where you can walk everywhere but Fremont didn’t feel like that kind of city.</p>

<p>^^There is a BIG difference betwen a condo in Centerville area near the BART and a house in Mission SJ. Fremont is a hugh city…:)</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>That was the problem.</p>

<p>What?</p>

<p>Now I am confused… :)</p>

<p>Condo prices in Fremont have increased about 4% compounded annually over the last 15 years?</p>

<p>Home prices in some areas of Fremont are up 500% over the last 15 to 20 years?</p>

<p>How much are home prices in NH…not that it is a monolithic place…over the last 15
years?</p>

<p>Is Fremont the kind of place where you have to drive everywhere?</p>

<p>NH home prices are up 40 to 100 percent over the last 20 years.</p>

<p>I like small towns or cities like Cambridge, MA where you don’t need a car. I’m not into the Suburban sprawl thing. I also don’t like traffic on the highways.</p>

<p>“I like small towns or cities like Cambridge, MA where you don’t need a car. I’m not into the Suburban sprawl thing. I also don’t like traffic on the highways.”</p>

<p>I agree with you BCEagle91…</p>

<p>^I guess that’s why it’s good there are so many places to live! My SIL lives in Brookline. Yes it is small and compact, but the noise and traffic drive me crazy. I am always VERY happy to cross the bridge coming back to Maine.</p>

<p>[Market</a> Trend Research](<a href=“http://www.forecast-chart.com/market-trend-research.html]Market”>Market Trend Research)</p>

<p>[Oakland</a> Real Estate Market Forecast](<a href=“http://www.forecast-chart.com/estate-real-oakland.html]Oakland”>Oakland Real Estate Market Forecast | ForecastChart)</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.forecast-chart.com/estate-real-san-francisco.html[/url]”>http://www.forecast-chart.com/estate-real-san-francisco.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://www.forecast-chart.com/estate-real-manchester.html[/url]”>http://www.forecast-chart.com/estate-real-manchester.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I don’t know how accurate these charts are…</p>

<p>I thought SF did a little better…</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>There are some quiet parts of Brookline but Brookline suffers from intractible traffic problems.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>I understand that the main bridge is going to be shut down for a while.</p>

<p>dstark,</p>

<p>You just don’t understand how BIG is Fremont, a city probably bigger than Oakland or San Jose in land size. There is a big differences in home prices geographically. While the top Mission SJ HS is a magenet/feeder school for HYP type, some schools are below 50 percentile in ranking, you just cannot compare those. Besides, there are foreclosures all over Fremont, prices have reverted to the pre-2000 level, except in Mission SJ.</p>

<p>Ok…but in the Mission SJ area…prices are up 500% over the last 15 to 20 years?</p>