The residential real estate market is starting to turn around...

<p>Not sure how it works, but i know the builder self-financed this project</p>

<p>The thing is…</p>

<p>How low can you go?</p>

<p>The house next to my mums in VA just sold for ~$6.5mill, so the market here is definitely doing alright (right outside of DC in great falls) but the market is doing much better around the Nassau home then this home! Lol</p>

<p>Looks like things are turning around in my neck of the woods…</p>

<p>[With</a> inventory lower, properties sell faster - BostonHerald.com](<a href=“http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view/20220224with_inventory_lower_properties_sell_faster/srvc=home&position=also]With”>http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view/20220224with_inventory_lower_properties_sell_faster/srvc=home&position=also)</p>

<p>Looks good notrichenough.</p>

<p>I talked to a couple of mortgage brokers this week and they said things are improving slowly in Marin County. More refinancings too. One mentioned that her fees are cut in half from the bubble days.</p>

<p>We are almost into March when the home buying season is supposed to take off and there still is very little inventory on the market. A house did go for sale near me and it is overpriced by $200,000. I am not sure what that seller is thinking. If it is priced right, it would sell in a week. It has been 3 weeks…</p>

<p>I think that the home-selling season is coming early in New England with the incredibly mild winter. It might make for a long selling season.</p>

<p>Just a quick report from the midwest: my house is under contract, and now we are in the post-inspection (we want you to replace the burnt out light bulb in the bathroom) negotiation phase. There seems to be much less inventory than there was in the fall, and the houses seem to be moving faster - probably those are related. Mild winter here has helped too I believe. Hope to report a successful closing in about a month!</p>

<p>Interesting that both of you…BCEagle91 and Suzy100 mentioned the weather…</p>

<p>I hadn’t really thought much about the weather…</p>

<p>Suzy100… Good luck to you…</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>The weather story has been huge - it is the mildest winter that I’ve seen in the last 25 years. Our local news service had a poll - do you miss all of the stuff you can do with snow? 66% responded that they wish that we had this kind of weather every year. Some people miss the snow for sports but they probably don’t miss the misery associated with the snow like overloaded roofs last year.</p>

<p>The mild weather has been a big deal here as well. I have not had to shovel the driveway at all this year, and I don’t remember that ever happening. I do think it’s been good for those of us who got our houses on the market relatively early.</p>

<p>dstark, thanks for the well wishes. Why does it worry me when you end that “good luck” with an ellipsis? ;)</p>

<p>We have had a mild winter too and we are on the other coast…</p>

<p>My electric and gas bill is 110 a month in the winter…used to be 600 a month in the winter…</p>

<p>One reason is because we have never had to turn the heater on; although, we do use the gas fireplace…</p>

<p>And the other big reason is because we moved…our old place was larger and a pain to heat up…</p>

<p>People must be saving money on energy all over the place…your heating bills must have plummeted.</p>

<p>Suzy100… I have just gotten lazy. I just throw in periods all over the place… I don’t know…it is just easier for me to… when I type on an ipad.</p>

<p>Good luck to you.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Ha - thank you! (It’s me, not you.)</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>That’s the right word for it.</p>

<p>Lately I’ve been on a light-bulb kick. I’m replacing incandescent with LED lighting. It’s a big up-front cost but I like to spend on capital improvements that result in lower running costs.</p>

<p>Yeah…that makes sense.</p>

<p>We have a second home in a gated community in SC at Hilton Head. The latest community newsletter report noted that 4 homes and 3 lots in the community have sold with several in the negotiating stages, since January 1 and 14 new houses are under construction. Good news.</p>

<p>Nice, alwaysamom.</p>

<p>We’re refinancing right now. The rate is 3 7/8% - hard to believe! It will be very interesting to see what the house is appraised for. We have enough equity that it won’t matter if it’s gone down a lot.</p>

<p>I am looking to refinace also but do not want to go back to 30 years and do not want to increase my payment. I have 27 years on my current mortgage at 4.5 and about 192,000 left.
I think I need rates to stay this low for another year or so and then see what a 20 year mortgage looks like.</p>