Theory of CS and math

<p>I'm pretty sure we've covered all the bases, but I'll put this question out. I'm casting my net for very good schools for theory of computer science and math , dual major. Not 'wires and pliers' engineering, but more in the areas where math and CS merge. MIT, Harvey Mudd, UChicago, Carnegie Mellon and Stanford are all on the list, but we could use a couple of schools that are a bit less of a reach. Case and Rice are not a fit.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Not 'wires and pliers' engineering, but more in the areas where math and CS merge.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Basically, you mean discrete math. You may want to look into Georgia Tech, as their CS and discrete math programs are in the top 10, at least at the graduate level. The school is considerably easier to get into than the ones you currently have listed.</p>

<p>Yeah - discrete math sounds about right. GTech would be too warm - mine starts to complain about the heat at about 75. (But I'll think about it a bit anyway. There is such a thing as AC.)</p>

<p>Discrete Math rankings......USNWR</p>

<p>1 Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA
2 University of California--Berkeley Berkeley, CA
3 Princeton University Princeton, NJ
4 Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey--New Brunswick Piscataway, NJ
University of Michigan--Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI
6 University of California--Los Angeles Los Angeles, CA
University of California--San Diego La Jolla, CA
8 Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, GA
9 University of Minnesota--Twin Cities Minneapolis, MN
10 Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA</p>

<p>It would be great if you can post the stats. I can say Rutgers has a strong Discrete Math program and it would not be hard for you to get in. Do you need financial aid?</p>

<p>CS Rankings -- Focus: Theory -- USNEWS</p>

<p>1 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
2 University of California--Berkeley
3 Cornell University
4 Princeton University
5 Carnegie Mellon University
6 Stanford University
7 Georgia Institute of Technology
8 University of Washington
9 Harvard University
10 University of Texas--Austin</p>

<p>(I'm also aiming to study this same field, so I wish you luck in your pursuits!)</p>

<p>Financial aid not needed. Hmmm.. think we'll give Rutgers and UWash another look-see. I'm not posting stats, but I'll say that SATs (1 and 2) are very high, GPA not as good, but a very rigorous program, with a couple of years worth of advanced math/CS credits (diff eq, linear alg. , analysis, db, theory of computation, etc).
It's easy to find the obvious big names - but admissions for those (MIT/Stanford/Ivies,etc) is so difficult that a couple of good but more predicatable schools is a wise idea.</p>