Too much bragging on Facebook?

<p>I think I’ve been crossing the line lately with Facebook status updates about all the great things my DS has accomplished. It just so happens that at this time during his senior year in high school, I have lots of good news about him – great college, awards, etc. But I’m afraid my friends will find all this bragging obnoxious and I am now trying to edit myself more carefully.</p>

<p>BTW, I mainly use Facebook to update far-flung relatives and friends on what’s going on with my family and I always find it helpful when they do the same.</p>

<p>Oh, jeez. We don't facebook but nothing you've done can be as bad as the graduation announcement my W sent out. Large cap and gown photo with a college CV on the back. I made sure my name was nowhere on it or even the envelope. It was truly cringe-worthy.</p>

<p>Yes, I did put my foot down....and she ran right over it.</p>

<p>I guess I would rather read a bragging status update than a report that someone has stopped to gas up the car!
Curmudgeon- I wish you would join facebook.</p>

<p>It's hard to tell. IMO, what some of your family and friends appreciate will be viewed as bragging by others. </p>

<p>Personally, I'm still trying to get used to the facebook world. I have not invited all my friends...and in fact some of my friends refuse to set up accounts. I signed up primarily to view pics of small children of family members...so cute! But some of these same family members post "like 12 yr old girls" as one of my friends said. I know where they go EVERY weekend. And even during the week...restaurants, playgrounds, etc. Plus political posts (that I don't agree with!). I don't want to hide them cause I'll miss some of the cute pics. But when they visit, I don't feel like we need to catch up cause I know everything already! Sometimes I miss the old days...I'm on info overload and I'm not even a big user. I prefer being off the "grid" most of the time I guess...(except for CC...hah! :))</p>

<p>So yeah...it depends :)</p>

<p>I never brag about my kids on Facebook. It is all about ME! Is that better..or worse?</p>

<p>I try to pick and choose "braggings" and also try to remember that my Facebook account is suppose to be "for me" - so, not to make it all about "the kids". </p>

<p>I also think it matters how you choose your words. For instance, when S was announced val, instead of "S is going to be valedictorian!", I said something like "a proud day in my life as a parent - there's a valedictorian in the house!"</p>

<p>
[quote]
Curmudgeon- I wish you would join facebook.

[/quote]
lol. O.K.. Just for you. I'll put up all of my potential facebook posts. </p>

<p>slowoldguy tries something he used to be able to do. Hurts self. </p>

<p>slowoldguy does oldguy stuff. Bored to tears. </p>

<p>slowoldguy tries something he never was able to do. Hurts self badly.</p>

<p>And that's about it. ;)</p>

<p>Hmm, good reminder from abasket that my FB account should be ME, not my kids. However, I feel that I do serve as the family news reporter for my friends.</p>

<p>Yeah, choice of words is important as well as frequency of posts. I just don't want people to get tired of my posts like I tire of relatives who post too many baby pictures. I seem to see a lot of that, but I guess grandparents like those pictures.</p>

<p>I love Facebook. About half of the people I keep in contact with are friends and family from Iowa, where I grew up. I think it is a great way to keep in no too close of touch with lots of people I have enjoyed in the past.</p>

<p>I think I'm glad that I don't have a facebook account. I look at my DH's sometimes if my Dd or my niece put up something noteworthy, but sometimes I'm sorry I peeked.<br>
"What does that mean?" "Is she ok, or is she joking?" "Should we call?"</p>

<p>These little snippits of people's lives are not very satisfying. I'd rather have a phone call or even a newsy email.</p>

<p>I don't belong to Spacebook, Myface, Titter or any of those social networks. I already have one huge on-line time sink called CC. I can't afford to add another.</p>

<p>And I love the snippets. I would not call or e-mail most of the people I am on Facebook with. I love reading when our niece posts about her husband butt-dialing her and listening to the kids (three under 6) and daddy have a discussion in the car. Or any number of other things. </p>

<p>I also take a peek at DD's page each day to see if she has been on because I don't hear from her very often. I also check DS's page to make sure he doesn't have something bad posted.</p>

<p>Curmudgeon - A truly hilarious post. Well done.</p>

<p>Ahhh, butt-dialing. I listened to my DH having a political conversation with our s, but I didnt at first know who he was talking to-- it was a hoot.</p>

<p>And fb- also use it to occasionally see that my kids still fog a mirror. Older s's new gf's mother fb'ed him! Creepy.</p>

<p>Curm, I'd love to see status updates like that. I need my daily laugh! I'm friends with my sister-in-laws brother, not because we are friends IRL, (though I do like him very much), but because his status updates are hilarious. (Currently snippets from country songs.)</p>

<p>I looked at my DD's bf's page, too. I really just wanted to see what he looked like. Then I told DD, but told her not to tell him (do I sound like an 8th grader or what?), so I could keep seeing pictures on his page. DD said, "That's all right, mom. He checked out your page, too, and I said [to him], 'You Facebook stalked MY MOM?'" Too, too, funny.</p>

<p>LOL!! When my s told me his gf's m fb'ed him-- and after ignoring it for a week or so he reluctantly accepted, I reminded him to limit her access. My younger s has me on limited access to his FB. This is a good thing all the way around.</p>

<p>I know better than to invite my ds on facebook. He would think that was very uncool. </p>

<p>Back to bragging...I guess I'm a true introvert. Never liked broadcasting stuff about myself...or even my kid...but don't mind catching up when others post interesting stuff. It took me two years just to get a pic up that wasn't my dog. Anyway I just hate all the banal posts about daily activities.</p>

<p>My Facebook philosophy: It isn't bragging if it's true. </p>

<p>Also it's a question of tone and phrasing. </p>

<p>Stating simply "My daughter Susie won the XXX Scholarship and will be attending YYY University in the fall", isn't bragging. </p>

<p>But going over the top in gushing praise might be considered bragging. It also depends on the tone and style your Facebook friends use and whether they 'brag' on their kids. In your Facebook community it may be okay. But if your closest friends, Facebook or otherwise have troubled kids then going on and on over your kids triumphs might not be the most sensitive thing to post.</p>

<p>I'm with MD Mom. FB is my personal space, not necessarily to brag about my kids. (Though I'll occasionally post something about them & hubby every now & then.) FB is my creative outlet about daily life, so to speak. Example, latest FB wall post reads:</p>

<p>"Darn the small print on the cable TV guide. Was channel surfing the other night and thought I saw the movie 'The Devil Wears Prada' playing on one of the movie channels. Imagine my surprise when, after selecting the channel, I discovered the movie title really read 'The Devil Wears Nada.'"</p>