Transfer from UK to US university

<p>I've heard it's very tough to transfer, but I would like to know what its required to give me the best chance. I would be coming from a good UK university, but not one of the top few. Not Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial, but not far below them.</p>

<p>And I would only be applying to the top few US colleges, otherwise I don't beleive it would be worth moving country.</p>

<p>Also, is it ever the case the people transfer after their first year of a UK university, to the penultimate year of a US undergraduate degree, or is that completely unheard of?</p>

<p>Also, how much is high school record taken into account, and does this vary greatly by college? And if so, which good colleges care less about high school?</p>

<p>Also, finally, when we say high school record, are we talking literally the grades we get for performace every term/semester? Because those were never taken seriously at my school... Or are we talking about just the A-Level grades (the big end of school exams) you get at the end of high school?</p>

<p>I know there's a lot of questions there, but if someone is willing to offer their knowledge it's much appreciated!</p>

<p>only your Os and As are needed.</p>

<p>Are you talking about King's?</p>

<p>No. It says london because that's where I lived when I signed up. I'm going to university outside of london.</p>

<p>I didn't really want to say because some people from my university probably read this and it seems almost conniving to be considering transferring out before you actually start (I'll be a first year from this september)</p>

<p>Edit: By the way that shouldn't imply that I don't have valid grounds for wanting to transfer. It's the system and the amount of options you can study in the US that attracts me more. Over here I'm doing one subject for three years, and a quarter of my second and third years can be different but in the same area.</p>

<p>Yes you can transfer to a college or university in the US. Whether the one(s) that interest you will want you is a whole different story. Start out by reading everything at:</p>

<p>Undergraduate</a> Study – EducationUSA</p>

<p>Then visit the advising office closest to you. Find the address at:</p>

<p>Educational</a> Advising Centers ? EducationUSA</p>

<p>These people are the experts on helping students in the UK study in the US.</p>

<p>Another option for you would be to find out about a one-year exchange program between your home university and colleges/universities in the US. That would let you have the "US experience" without having to make a permanent change.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Thanks, two extremely helpful links there!</p>

<p>As for an exchange, it's not really what I'm after tbh. Undergrad there and possibly a postgrad back here seems most appealing to me, although its the opposite of what people seem to recommend....</p>

<p>thanks i need it as well</p>

<p>i have a feeling your from royal Holloway
am i correct?</p>

<p>hi vindaloo.
i think i'm in the exact same position as you. and might be in the same university even :/
how did you go about the transfer? i have been considering it for the past few months but nothing concrete. i'm not liking the british system after my american high school but i'm not sure if i should suck it up and finish 4 years or lose a year but go to the US.
i'd really like to know what you did.
thanks :) ciao</p>

<p>great... 2007 :(</p>

I am a first-year student at UCL and want to transfer to a US university. Most us universities require 1st-semester marks but UCL, like most UK institutions, has an annual examination system. Can you help me out?
How did you get rid of this problem?

This thread is so old that you will probably have better luck starting your own thread- the OP is probably not on CC anymore.

US universities can deal with international situations. You will apply with your A levels. Don’t expect much in the way of credits to transfer though.