Welcome prospective Cal Bears. It’s that time of year again as the UC application has now opened and submission starts October 1 through November 30 for this admission cycle. I am @Gumbymom one of the two UC Forum Champions/Moderators. My Co-Forum Champion is @lkg4answers and we are knowledgeable on the increasingly complicated UC admissions process and hopefully we can help any prospective UC applicants with their questions.
UC Berkeley like all the UC’s are test blind and will use 13 areas of criteria to review Freshman applicants. Each campus will weight the various areas of criteria differently so one size does not fit all.
The UC application website has plenty of information that can help determine if UC Berkeley is a good option when applying.
Below are some links to the UCB admission data from the UC Website: Freshman admit data | UC Admissions
Also there are changes in the admission process for High Demand majors listed below. For example, if apply for EECS in the College of Engineering, there is now an option to select CS in the College of Letters and Sciences as an alternate.
Art (Practice of)
Operations Research & Management Science
- Very important: Academic GPA, Personal Insight essays, Rigor of secondary school record
- Important: Extracurricular activities, Volunteer work, Work experience
- Considered: Character/personal qualities, First generation college student, State residency, AP/IBLH exam scores
- Note: Thorough review of academic performance; likely contribution to intellectual and cultural vitality of the campus; diversity in personal background and experience; demonstrated qualities in leadership, motivation, concern for others and community; non-academic achievement in the performing arts, athletics or employment; demonstrated interest in major.
- LOR’s by invitation only as of 2017
Division (L&S, CNR, CoC, CED, CoE) matters for admission selectivity.
Within CoE (but not the other divisions), major matters for admission selectivity. Changing majors within the CoE after enrolling is not guaranteed, unless one is CoE undeclared.
Note that L&S admits students as undeclared; admission to High Demand majors see link: UC Berkeley Announces Fall 2022 Admissions Updates – Admissions Blog
Starting Fall 2024, the HAAS Business school will offer a 4 year Undergrad program and Freshman can apply as a direct admit. UC-Berkeley and transfer students may continue to apply for acceptance to the program as sophomores or Juniors.
All students who apply to UC Berkeley and select a major within the College of Natural Resources are evaluated based on their application, not on the particular major they select.
Best of luck to all applicants and here is a link to the Class of 2026 discussion which will have stats of the admitted class and other helpful information.