UCONN vs. SUNY-ESF

If I haven’t annoyed you with my constant threads/postings, then I definitely have now…

All self-deprecating jokes aside, I was talking to my GC today (we have to report college acceptances in-person, to verify for Naviance and HS stats), and I learned that she is convinced that I’ll get into ESF and UCONN. She suggested that I start comparing schools now to prevent being swamped in April. Sounds a little weird, but to be fair, Naviance is showing a 60-70% chance at ESF and a 50-60% chance at UCONN, so she’s not totally wrong.

I’m comparing these two schools (and not any others) for a few key reasons.

1. SUNY-ESF is heavily affiliated with Syracuse University—so in an co-curricular and social sense (and maybe even an academic sense), I’m comparing Syracuse vs. UCONN.

2. Both are very similar in tuition cost. UCONN would be instate rates, and ESF has low OOS states (even with room and board). Approximately 35-37K for each school.

3. Both have (IMO) great campuses. ESF feels a little…hidden about behind the Dome, but the SU campus is pretty neat. UCONN, even though it’s somewhat isolated, also has a decent campus (and lovely surroundings).

Here’s where it differs:

UCONN - has my preferred major (Geographic Information Science/Geography). Would be able to switch academic disciplines.

ESF - Landscape Architecture or Construction/Forest Management. (LandArch is 5 years, btw). Limited range of majors.

UCONN - Grad school advising is not great if you’re outside the Honors College. Limited advising, and I worry that I would not be noticed by professors (even if I reached out). This gets even tougher, since I have another school (Clark) that would probably have stronger advising).

ESF - Possibly better advising; more likely to work with professors.

It’s a lot of small issues, but they’ve all been occasionally coming up during the application cycle. Does anyone have any insight to these, or should I just stop asking questions and start waiting for decisions?

Thanks.

I love ESF. Great bargain. But if UConn has your preferred major and it’s a better deal financially, that would seem to be the logical choice. And there is the flexibility of switching majors. Choosing ESF means that you have to be sure that’s what you want.

Although the difference in cost isn’t great, $5K per year is still $20,000 over 4 years. Is that significant to your family?

Clark is a great choice for what you’re interested in. That option would depend a lot on cost.

1 Like

As always Bill Marsh gives sage advice. I would add that I wouldn’t let perception of grad school advising have any impact.

If you go to grad school right after, and many today don’t, you will figure it out. You don’t need a counselor for that but I’m sure they’ll have resources if you want.

I’m an SU grad. I knew ESF was there but didn’t know anyone, no clue where the campus was or is. It’s 30 years ago but I do not see ESF as well integrated. Perhaps it is but I have / had zero clue then.

1 Like