UCSD Pros and Cons?

<p>Hello all:
Can someone who goes to UCSD or has visited UCSD, can you please share your pros and cons about the university? Thank you!</p>

<p>I has visited UCSD, im not a student there so i can only say from my point of view. </p>

<p>Big, beautiful, wonderful sea, great restaurants, great school clubs, a lot of Asian, and friendly community.</p>

<p>Cons:-It's a commuter school since its in a city and is surrounded by other cities. So, it gets pretty empty during the weekends</p>

<p>Pros: They just built a very awesome urban looking new dorm called the Rita Atkinson. Check it out here: UCSD</a> Unveils Striking New Student Housing Building Rita Atkinson Residences at UCSD ? Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World</p>

<p>Pros: Awesome teachers and T.As, markets, the waters, the dorms
Cons: (Trust me the food is mediocre), the place is huge, very anti-social, alot of envious and snobby types of people, and lastly if you're a dude this isn't the place to get a gorgeous woman for a girlfriend</p>

<p>hmmm</p>

<p>jamesdantely pro's and con's = not want to go?</p>

<p>what about UCI Pro's and Con's?</p>

<p>what WOULD be the ideal place to get a gorgeous woman for a girlfriend? UCLA?</p>

<p>I'm a student here and have been since the beginning of last summer. </p>

<p>Pros:
- Great professors thus far. Approachable, down-to-earth, fair, etc.
- Good TAs/graders
- Good weather during the summer and spring. Literally about 1/2 mile walk from the beach
- Not located in a heavily-downtown area or anything and you're 2 minute from the 5 freeway.
- Nice gym at RIMAC
- New transfer housing at The Village (East just opened this year) is quiet and definitely not party-central, which is a pro in that it's quiet for studying. They have study rooms available downstairs</p>

<p>Cons:
- Definitely not the most socially vibrant campus
- If you plan on commuting/living off campus, the parking situation is god-awful. I live on campus but have a vehicle and I've sometimes come back at midnight with no student spots available. They really REALLY need to build a new lot.
- The campus is huge and spread out, so it's sometimes quite a trek to get to your class.
- If you plan on living at The Village, word of advice: bring your own chair. They give you these cheap plastic chairs that look like they came out of a cafeteria. The couches also suck immeasurably.
- I don't eat at the dining halls, never have, so I can't comment on that but I hear they suck.
- In the fall, La Jolla SUCKS. I grew up 30 minutes north east in San Marcos/Escondido and became a huge fan of stable weather. The last three months here it's been foggy, overcast, drizzly, raining, freezing and windy. I'm definitely getting the hell out of here once I graduate in June and moving back inland. If you like Seattle weather, you'll love it here in the fall.</p>

<p>@ lawlking, those are some nice looking dorms..btw, how do they prioritize who gets to get those dorms? highest bidder or something?</p>

<p>also, I guess the "triton eye" is still going strong?</p>

<p>Triton eye is definitely in effect. There are some hotties, but "some" can't be stressed enough.</p>

<p>umm. so fall in la jolla = sf?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I hear this everywhere and all jokes aside, I'm still kinda skeptical. Some people said the same thing about community college and I find pretty girls at every corner here. </p>

<p>UCkittychen, I've lived in SD since I was like 4, and this has been the coldest late Fall of my life. Keep in mind I don't live next to the ocean either. I imagine La Jolla gets pretty gloomy around these times. So consider it if that's your thing.</p>

<p>^Agreed. I live in SD too. So unusually cold this year, I live ...20 minutes from La Jolla</p>

<p>@UCkittychen: yeah, pretty much. </p>

<p>@Salmos: Don't get me wrong, there are some hotties here, but I've been to a crapload of college campuses in the past six years and this definitely ranks near the bottom in terms of eye candy. It's pretty bad.</p>

<p>well :) gloomy IS my thing. thats dope I think UCI/UCSD (if YHWH allows me to be accepted to both) is going to be a tough decision.</p>

<p>I'm OK with gloomy, but not for weeks on end. </p>

<p>I actually went to UCI before UCSD, heh.</p>

<p>^^It gets gloomy during the 1st half of the year. When it transitions from Winter to spring and spring to summer. During the month of June, its gloomy all day. However, I think the fall season is the best in Irvine. Irvine has special trees everywhere (Oak trees and etc, I think?) and once fall kicks in, the trees turn orange and red and the Santa Ana Wind kicks in giving that fall feel. You'll be cozy inside while the tree's rustle and the wind howl's you to sleep.</p>

<p>dont expect any hot girl in la jolla. </p>

<p>here are some hot girls campuses, Ive done research about this ^^
ucla(the best), uci, ucr, ucsb, ucb, USC, and maybe ucd.</p>

<p>USC beats UCLA from my experience (and I used to live at both, basically.)</p>

<p>You've been to UCI, UCSD, USC and UCLA? lol</p>

<p>I wasn't a student at USC/UCLA, but I had friends/relatives who went there so they were my home away from home. </p>

<p>I've been to every UC with the exception of Merced and SF.</p>

<p>I went to ucsd for the transfer friday fair and it was a beautiful campus. It was really big, and I was lost even tho I came like 2 hours early, thankfully a student walked us all the way to the location. The UC I really wanna visit would be berkeley, since its the only uc I applied to and haven't visited yet.</p>