UMich vs UVA vs NYU-Comp. Sci/Econ Major

<p>and a music/creative writing minor. S Not as interested in a pure 4-year business program (e.g. Stern or Ross), but probably something in a related major, but w/all the benefits of a liberal arts education to further pursue an interest in and strengthen competency in music and creative writing. A double major in Econ. (or even Comp. Sci) combined with Music or Writing is also a possibility if that is even allowed w/o formally being in the Performing Arts program at the respective schools. All OOS and financial need is not a consideration.</p>

<p>At UVa, any student can take the first 3 to 4 business classes. After that, business courses are limited to students admitted to the Commerce School, which admits something like 2/3rds of UVa applicants. They apply during their 2nd year. </p>

<p>The economics major is open to anyone who completed the prerequisites.</p>

<p>UVa just finished a big new building to support the marching band.</p>

<p>thx. charlie that helps. He's not a marching band kid. He's the front (lead vocals, composer and lyricist) for an alt. indy band. He plays a darn decent guitar and drums as well. In fact his band playing at Maxwell's in Hoboken in a couple weeks. They have already been approached by a small music label. He's played at The Stone Pony, Ramapo College and City Winery in NYC. Hence the pull in two different directions, and a desire to keep a hand in the music business even while in college. Not quite sure how he is going to pull it off. He has said college comes first, but I know the muse has a hold of him.</p>

<p>I believe, of all of the schools listed NYU is the best in econ, although looking at the rankings now NYU is tied with UMich at #12. </p>

<p>Michigan is the best at CS. </p>

<p>As far as music goes, NYU is (likely) the best of the three, since it is quite famous for the arts. Music is a major within CAS, but performing music is actually in Steinhardt. You have to audition for admission into Steinhardt and you can double major in CAS.</p>

<p>"As far as music goes, NYU is (likely) the best of the three, since it is quite famous for the arts"</p>

<p>Michigan is also excellent in the arts, particularly music. It has it's own conservatory quality school for it. Michigan is the overall strongest for all areas mentioned by the OP.</p>

<p>rjk, I think Michigan has the edge in CS and Music, but in Econ, NYU matches Michigan and UVa is only slighty behind. Finally all three are very strong in Creative Writing.</p>

<p>Personally, if I had to choose between those three universities, I would go for fit.</p>

<p>

Alexandre, as usual, you are off the mark. NYU is stronger in Economics and Music than Michigan as far as the reputation of the departments go. Michigan, however, is clearly superior by far in Computer Science.</p>

<p>NRC</a> Rankings Overview: Economics - Faculty - The Chronicle of Higher Education
S-Rank
NYU: 9-17
Michigan: 21-28</p>

<p>R-Rank
NYU: 7-17
Michigan: 11-27</p>

<p>NRC</a> Rankings Overview: Music - Faculty - The Chronicle of Higher Education
S-Rank
NYU: 7-15
Michigan: 14-30</p>

<p>R-Rank
NYU: 4-26
Michigan: 11-32</p>

<p>NRC</a> Rankings Overview: Computer Sciences - Faculty - The Chronicle of Higher Education
S-Rank
NYU: 39-81
Michigan: 12-45</p>

<p>R-Rank
NYU: 39-71
Michigan: 10-25</p>

<p>I was going on USNWR graduate rankings, not the NRC rankings. I find the former more straightforward. According to the USNWR, Michigan and NYU are tied at #12 in Economics. I am not sure if NYU's Econ department has a better reputation than Michigan's. The USNWR ranking of Econ departments is entirely based on reputation, and in that rranking, the two are tied. As for Music, I assumed the OP was interested in Music performance, not Music theory. The NRC ranking is for theory. In Music performance, Michigan is particularly strong.</p>

<p>Alexandre, GoldenBoy's music rankings don't even coherently categorize the programs properly, so flavor with much salt.</p>

<p>USNWR stopped ranking music schools in '95, but when it did, Michigan was I think 3rd or 4th in the nation, behind perhaps Yale and the ilk, for Music Theory. Definitely ranked higher than Steinhardt, FWIW.</p>

<p>But in terms of music school, rank doesn't mean much compared with fit, depending on studio, instrument etc. UMich's SOM is large, varied, and generally exceptionally well regarded. But it might be tops for one instrument, and middling for another.</p>

<p>To the OP...I saw another thread of yours a few minutes ago, and will try to sort out what's a bit of a complex subject in this regard since it sounds like the stakes may be high here for your son.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>To participate in a high level music performance program, eg. BMus, such as either UMich SOMTD or Steinhardt, you are NOT allowed to minor. </p></li>
<li><p>To pursue music at a high level music school in tandem with another program is sometimes achievable via a dual degree and 5 years. Eg. at Umich, some will dual degree in performance and Eng. - tough road, but achievable. However, it's exceedingly rare to double major PLUS minor PLUS have much time available for performance activities. I think eventually something has to go.</p></li>
<li><p>But he does not NEED to major or even minor to keep developing his musical talent, especially since he's a contemporary artist. He <em>should</em> have access to vocal lessons at both UMich's SOM and NYU Steinhardt. It will be for fewer or elective credit, is all.</p></li>
<li><p>BOTH schools offer advantages for students with talent in contemporary music. At Umich, there is a performing arts tech program at the SOM that deals in myriad aspects of music engineering, programming, multimedia etc. including composition. However, it is a specialized sequence of courses, BFA, by portfolio only and admits about 4 kids a year. While he would not have direct access (unless he applied and was admitted) however, he might enjoy the music business class or joining some of the more accessible classes.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>At NYU, Tisch (not Steinhardt) has a contemporary music program for performer/producer/songwriters called Clive Davis. My son choose UMich, so I don't know a lot about accessing those classes, but presume there might be some level of access.</p>

<p>If your son loves music, might I ask why he isn't considering a professional music degree with a programming element, or a dual degree between CS and Music comp, which would render him highly employable in ent/game/video industries? Those skills are every bit as transferable -- in some cases moreso -- that a dabbling of multiple other majors or otherwise hedging one's bets.</p>

<p>goldenboy8784 said:</p>

<p>"Alexandre, as usual, you are off the mark"</p>

<p>followed by the knowledgeable remarks of kmcmom13:</p>

<p>"Alexandre, GoldenBoy's music rankings don't even coherently categorize the programs properly, so flavor with much salt."</p>

<p>goldenboy8784 is a well known Michigan basher here on CC. I implore the OP to not consider his biased views against the school.</p>

<p>thx. everyone for all the feedback. My son and his band have performed w/some decent bands that are managed and under contract. From that exposure alone, he realizes music performance in particular is a real hit or miss proposition almost regardless of degree of talent, and a hard way to make a living. He is motivated to go to college.</p>

<p>As a parent I view it through obviously rose-colored glasses. He is a self-taught musician who handles lead vocals, and songwriting. And yet i have heard him sit down and play the lead guitar to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody; his uncle is a Berklee grad. who says my son passed him in ability a while ago. He'll put on a 4 Tops record and sing along, and it sounds like part of the recording. And neither of those is his genre of music that he performs publicly. So I'm not sure what to make of it. He's just turned 18. On his own he will go to his room and put on Miles Davis or listen to Joe Pass on guitar on the turntable. There is little doubt the kid both loves and appreciates all types of music. I want him to have the freedom in college to develop and run w/whatever talent is there, while at the same time getting a great liberal arts education. He is a terrific writer. I like the idea of a big university as he is really feeling his way through all of this, and the most important factor I think is access to resources and people, including other musicians and writers. He's accepted at UM in LSA, and likely will be at NYU's CAS as well. He's deferred w/ a shot at UVA. Based in NJ, NYU would allow him to keep the band together--but that may be moot since some other band members may scatter to different universities. He will visit Mich in the next several weeks and hopefully meet w/an Admissions Counselor in Music who can lay out some options for him as an LSA student. I do know he can take courses w/professor's permission and even get private lessons in the studio there in all likelihood.</p>

<p>While he has played many venues in NJ and NY, I think it might be good for him to explore the area outside of the Tri-State and grow away from us as parents, but NYU probably offers some great opportunities as well even if he is not enrolled at Tisch or Steinhardt. He has open invitations to play at clubs in the area here too, but I'm not sure how that stretches him as an individual. It's easy to play in front of a small fan base of 50-100 loyal followers he pretty much knows will be at his performances.</p>

<p>Both Ann Arbor and Cville have plenty of places to play rock and blues for fun and a little money. If you want to know more about UVa's computer science and music depts, I'd post over at the UVa website. There is a frequent recent alum poster who knows about computer science.</p>