University of Florida

<p>I'd really like to go to Johns Hopkins University for their Pre-Health program but Financial Aid will probably restrict me. So my next choice is University of Florida (since I am a Florida Resident). Here are some questions I'd be very glad if you guys could answer:
[ol]
[<em>]Is it really the best Florida has to offer?
[</em>]Does it have a Pre-Medicine/Pre-Health program?
[<em>]Any statistics for acceptance rates into Med schools?
[</em>]Seriously a Public Ivy (provides an ivy league education, etc.)?
[<em>]Would I be better off going to JHU and footing the bill of around 30k (since most likely, I'd get like 20k/year out of Financial Aid) ?
[</em>]Anybody gone/going to University of Florida?
[/ol]</p>

<p>That's all...for now (?),
ansar :)</p>

<p>I am from FL as well.
1. Yes, absolutely
2. No idea
3. Not sure, yet don't expect any fabulous results
4. Nope...it was just names the number 1 party school in the nation by princeton review. If you want to live/work in FL all your life then its fine, yet outside FL its reputation is nonexistent.
5. IMO, absolutely
6. Lot of Friends</p>

<ol>
<li>It's on par with Miami, in general. Though FSU is also quite good. (Rollins and New School of Florida don't suit you at all). In fact, UMiami premed is great so look into that. Bright Futures will give you 100% average tuition there.</li>
<li>Yes</li>
<li>I don't have any but someone else can look them up for you</li>
<li>Yes. You know, if a school is a 4-year there's nothing stopping you from simply taking upper-level and graduate courses earlier if you want a rigorous education. If by Ivy you mean small class sizes and good professors, yes, the classes are small, and professors are good and bad at all schools so that's a silly reason to choose an undergrad college. I personally didn't care to be in a premed course with the same people over and over again (worse than high school!) so class size didn't matter to me.</li>
<li>That's up to you.</li>
<li>I have a lot of friends who are going. I was considering both UF and JHU but decided neither was for me. (I'd easily go with Miami over either, esp w/ Bright Futures).</li>
</ol>

<p>Keep in mind that JHU is grueling. I personally don't like the overall feel of the school: it feels too focused on academics -- and dare I say "nerdy" -- for me. I would be satisfied in attending a school (like UF) with bright kids and a great social life/sex/etc. and getting my academic needs satisfied by taking higher-level courses at leisure rather than having them forced down my throat in a competitive environment at the expense of fun. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that the JHU campus is ridiculously small (140 acres) and the student body is also small. I would prefer UF because of the diversity of students, keeping in mind that if I want to surround myself with very smart kids, I can always do so at a school of 50,000 with a very high SAT average in the first place. There's also a good honors college.</p>

<p>Med schools, while they consider undergrad reputation, want to see a high GPA and that may be easier at UF. </p>

<p>This may seem biased against JHU but that's only my opinion.</p>

<p>"If you want to live/work in FL all your life then its fine, yet outside FL its reputation is nonexistent."</p>

<p>That's ridiculous.</p>

<p>If you're going to answer with garbage, don't bother next time. Stick to meaningless debates about prestige, at least no one gets hurt that way.</p>

<p>Its true, just because you don't mean it...doesn't change anything. UF is not considered a top state school or even a particularly good one. Its rep out of state is non-existent, but in-state it has a nice alumni network and good rep.</p>

<p>Also, keep in mind that Bright Futures will cover 100% of tuition.</p>

<p>Tuition at UF is 3-4k for Florida residents without BF.</p>

<p>(It IS unknown outside of Florida, btw).</p>

<p>"Its true, just because you don't mean it...doesn't change anything. UF is not considered a top state school or even a particularly good one. Its rep out of state is non-existent, but in-state it has a nice alumni network and good rep."</p>

<p>It has a pretty good reputation but it isn't a top 15 public according to US News, much less a "public ivy". Florida residents and football fans seem to think way more highly of the school than the rest of the nation does. I recently ran across some UF fans on a football message board consistently claiming that they were "right under Vandy" in rankings and easily one of the best public schools. Those statements are delusional in my opinion.</p>

<p>Exactly, I recently met a grad who asserted it offers an ivy-league education....people in FL hype it up big.</p>

<p>
[QUOTE]
1. It's on par with Miami, in general. Though FSU is also quite good. (Rollins and New School of Florida don't suit you at all). In fact, UMiami premed is great so look into that. Bright Futures will give you 100% average tuition there.

[/quote]

UMiami will give me free tuition with Bright Futures? I thought being private => no free tuition from Bright Futures.

[quote]
2. Yes

[/quote]

Sweet. :D

[quote]
3. I don't have any but someone else can look them up for you

[/quote]

Mmmk, thanks.

[quote]
4. Yes. You know, if a school is a 4-year there's nothing stopping you from simply taking upper-level and graduate courses earlier if you want a rigorous education. If by Ivy you mean small class sizes and good professors, yes, the classes are small, and professors are good and bad at all schools so that's a silly reason to choose an undergrad college. I personally didn't care to be in a premed course with the same people over and over again (worse than high school!) so class size didn't matter to me.

[/quote]

Well, I just saw on a couple websites that it's ranked as a Public Ivy and felt it needed to get it checked by the guys at CC.

[quote]
5. That's up to you.
6. I have a lot of friends who are going. I was considering both UF and JHU but decided neither was for me. (I'd easily go with Miami over either, esp w/ Bright Futures).</p>

<p>Keep in mind that JHU is grueling. I personally don't like the overall feel of the school: it feels too focused on academics -- and dare I say "nerdy" -- for me. I would be satisfied in attending a school (like UF) with bright kids and a great social life/sex/etc. and getting my academic needs satisfied by taking higher-level courses at leisure rather than having them forced down my throat in a competitive environment at the expense of fun.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that the JHU campus is ridiculously small (140 acres) and the student body is also small. I would prefer UF because of the diversity of students, keeping in mind that if I want to surround myself with very smart kids, I can always do so at a school of 50,000 with a very high SAT average in the first place. There's also a good honors college.</p>

<p>Med schools, while they consider undergrad reputation, want to see a high GPA and that may be easier at UF.</p>

<p>This may seem biased against JHU but that's only my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm pretty boring and not exactly a party guy, so academics suits me more. I just hope JHU can cover some costs. </p>

<p>If not, of course, I always have Florida schools I can back into (which I hear are not really hard to get into, especially since I'm a pretty good student - hey, I visit CC, can I not be a good student? ;)).</p>

<p>Thanks,
ansar</p>

<p>No, actually don't count on Bright Futures to give you more than a couple thousand for UMiami. It'll hardly make a dent.</p>

<p>You will most assuredly get into UF if you get accepted at JHU.</p>

<p>I live in Florida too, 50% or so of graduating classes from my school go to UF, others to FSU/UCF/UMiami. Go to JHU.</p>

<p>According to UF's Web site, they don't release data on medical school acceptances because they don't restrict who applies. (Some schools will only consider students with a certain GPA as 'official' applicants.) </p>

<p>And yeah, it's true, Miami is private. </p>

<p>As far as Florida's reputation outside of Florida; I'll admit it doesn't have the name cach</p>

<p>First, UF is typically ranked in the top-20 publics in virtually all metrics....so <em>obviously</em> it is way-above average with regard to the vast number of public universities in the US. It also ranks in the top-5 in research based patent technology tansfers....so it is one of the premier research universities in the US. Second, the "public Ivy" thing is traceable to Howard Green's book "The Public Ivies: America's Flagship Universities". Lastly, Shands is easily the best hospital in Florida, with 9 of 16 categories in the US News top-50...no other hospital in Florida is close to that...and the undergrad opportunities with UF are extensive.</p>

<p>JHU is without question a great school. But many people above are selling UF way short...and you are lucky to have both these options open to you.</p>

<p>I'm from FL too.
UF is a very good school, it is ranked 50 on the US News and World Report.
UM is a little below that (52).
UF is the best school in FL, then its UM. FSU lags way behind (ex- in the ranking it's in the 100s)
UF is so great and the financial aid is fantastic. Bright Futures can cover 100% of tuition if you get 75 hours of service and a 3.0 gpa and 1270 on the SAT. That's the best aid you'll find around here. The Bright Futures also covers other state universities like FSU.
UM is not covered by bright futures, but if you are a competitive applicant you may get one of their merit scholarships. UM is a very expensive school.
But JHU is the best of them all..</p>

<p>" UF is not considered a top state school or even a particularly good one. Its rep out of state is non-existent, but in-state it has a nice alumni network and good rep."</p>

<p>I agree. It barely is included in first tier schools, and has only made that tier within the last 10 or so years.</p>

<p>State universities that have national reputations include North Carolina, Berkeley, Virginia, UCLA, Wisconson, and Michigan. UF isn't considered the same way as those universities are.</p>

<p>I take strong issue with the statement "...or even a particularly good one".<br>
Quantifiable data suggests otherwise. In the process of making a judgment like that, you are also denigrating virtually every public school in the US, safe for a handful that are considered at the very top. Elitist in the extreme. UF is an outstanding public university by most objective metrics. Its med school is the best in Florida and one of the best in the country...a school many JHU undergrads, I might add, would love to be accepted to. The OP may very well be trying to gain admissions to Shands 4 years from now.</p>

<p>UM is covered by Bright Futures.....
the way it works is bright futures will cover the overall cost of a public school in Florida towards tuition at UM. </p>

<p>so if Bright futures would have to be paying 10K at UF for u, Bright Futures will cover 10k at UM for u. though its still 15k short of tuition, financial aid grants are really good there.</p>

<p>UF is a great school. It does have a great reputation as well. The elitists on this board would have you think that if your school is high on some magazines list that your doomed for mediocrity. At UF, you have great academics, great student life, and an all around great college experience. </p>

<p>Wake up people! USNEWS is not the end all be all of life!!!</p>

<p>In terms of medicine in Florida you cant do better than UF and for the price... most likely free w/ bright futures save the money and if you want spend the big bucks for med school.</p>

<p>Just my two cents</p>

<p>UF is the best public university in Florida, hands down (UM might compete, but it's private). However, in part due to its location in the south, it is NOT known nationally like the very top publics or JHU. UF will certainly offer a more balanced experience than JHU, but if you consider yourself "pretty boring and not exactly a party guy," I really think that UF would not be a good fit. However, you have to balance fit with finances. And only you can make that decision.</p>