University of Florida

<p>If you have great grades and SAT scores, you will likely qualify for a great merit scholarship at Miami (they offer up to full tuition). That in addition to the Bright Futures may make it quite affordable for you. You can find the scholarship info on the Miami website or search on the Miami thread for the link. Miami is doing great things so check it out. They purchased a hospital in Miami just this past year.</p>

<p>As a New Yorker, UF has a great reputation up here. Anyone looking at schools and rankings knows how good it is. Yes, there are better and worse schools out there, but no reason to stay away. If you do well wherever you go to school and do well on your MCAT's you stand a good chance of getting into med school. UF will not hold you back from that.</p>

<p>By the way, you can aim for JHU, but pre-med is highly competitive to get in to. You need some great research, grades and maybe a good hook to get in. Others in our HS got in, but my valedictorian son did not. Many AP classes (13) and great in everything.......so...... you never know. Apply and see what happens. </p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>
[quote]
By the way, you can aim for JHU, but pre-med is highly competitive to get in to. You need some great research, grades and maybe a good hook to get in. Others in our HS got in, but my valedictorian son did not. Many AP classes (13) and great in everything.......so...... you never know. Apply and see what happens.

[/quote]

Yeah, yeah, I know. : (</p>

<p>UF, UM, and FSU are my safeties. UF being my hopeful safety.</p>

<p>Don't got to UF if you're from Florida</p>

<p>UF is a decent state school, but not a "top school" by any means. Outside the state of Florida, it really doesn't have a reputation one way or the other. In state, it suffers from a lot of empty hype. Mostly because of the thousands of alumni that live here. Some people even consider it a diploma factory. In South Florida, UM has a better reputation than UF.</p>

<p>UF has a very strong alumni base:</p>

<p>List</a> of University of Florida people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>
[quote]
Seriously a Public Ivy (provides an ivy league education, etc.)?

[/quote]
LOL, no, the only public Ivies (imo) are UC-Berkeley, Virginia, UCLA, Michigan, and UNC. William & Mary's good if you're looking for a small school and Georgia Tech's good if you want to be an engineer.<br>

[quote]
Florida residents and football fans seem to think way more highly of the school than the rest of the nation does.

[/quote]
This is the perfect way to explain it. If you live in Florida the rest of your life, everyone's going to think it's cool that you went to UF. If you go outside the state though, no one's really going to care. </p>

<p>As much as I hate the school, it's not a bad option if you're going to be pre-med since you'll almost definitely graduate with no debt. On the other hand, there's a good chance you can find a better school where you will graduate with no/little debt. I'm not sure why you're focused on JHU considering that they're the only top 20 school that doesn't guarantee to meet full demonstrated need.</p>

<p>
[quote]
As much as I hate the school...

[/quote]
</p>

<p>That explains everything.</p>

<p>UF has alot of really strong points. </p>

<p>Their engineering & business are programs are both ranked in the top-25 on the Undergraduate level. In the last incoming class they accepted only 36% of their applicants, and the admitted class had around a 4.0 gpa and around 1300 on the SAT. UF was also ranked the 2nd best overall value by Kiplinger, and the Alumni base pretty much has the entire state of Florida on lockdown for top management positions. In addition, UF has one of the strongest athletic programs in the entire USA, and the school spirit is unbelievable.</p>

<p>Oh by the way they also have some really strong graduate programs, and produced over $583 million in research last year.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I'm not sure why you're focused on JHU considering that they're the only top 20 school that doesn't guarantee to meet full demonstrated need.

[/quote]

I don't know other good schools with good Pre-Medicine/Pre-Health programs. >_<</p>

<p>The University of Florida is ranked second overall in the United States for the total number of bachelor's degrees awarded to African Americans, and third overall for Hispanics. UF ranks fifth overall in total number of doctoral degrees awarded to African Americans, and second overall for Hispanics, and third overall in total number of professional degrees awarded to African Americans, and first overall for Hispanics.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Oh by the way they also have some really strong graduate programs, and produced over $583 million in research last year.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>UF also surpassed UC-Berkley in total research $$$ last year.</p>

<p>
[quote]
UC-Berkley

[/quote]

UF better have exceeded "UC-Berkley" in total research $$$ last year, because "UC-Berkley" doesn't exist... ;)</p>

<p>^UF has a medical school.....Berkeley doesn't and it just barely passed Berkeley. Berkeley is usually ranked in the top five research universities in the world, UF is not even in the top 30. If Berkeley included UCSF (which is basically Berk's med school) it would be second in research after JHU. Being from Fl it is absurd how kids who go to UF talk about the school.....its a good school but with a reputation as the #1 party school and #1 school where students study the least its pretty sad when UF ppl say it's the "Harvard of the South".</p>

<p>^ I still say It's Great to Be a Florida Gator.</p>

<p>Got my Tim Tebow jersey and jorts on, plus I'm sporting a mullett...:D
<em>j/k</em></p>

<p>^ Tim Tebow? Isn't he the guy who got thoroughly outplayed by Chad Henne in that bowl game back in January?</p>

<p>Seriously, I think UF is a pretty good school, and a great deal for Florida residents. They've got some very good people on their faculty, which is why their PA rating of 3.6 is better than Case Western (3.5), U Rochester (3.4), Lehigh (3.2), and Wake Forest (3.5); the same as Boston College, Brandeis, and Tufts; and just a smidge behind William & Mary (3.7) and NYU (3.8), all pretty good schools ranked higher than UF by US News. And it's a lot harder to get into than some other schools ranked ahead of it by US News.</p>

<p>That 21/1 student-faculty ratio is just ridiculous, though, even for a public university. Compare with UC Berkeley 16/1, UVA 15/1, U Michigan 15/1, U Wisconsin 13/1, William & Mary 11/1. I'd be wary about that, especially for a pre-med major as it could mean a lot of mega-lectures and possibly some closed classes that you need for your major.</p>

<p>Overall JHU's a better school but I keep hearing that undergrads are really unhappy there, especially pre-meds. No first-hand knowledge, thuogh.</p>

<p>
[quote]
UF better have exceeded "UC-Berkley" in total research $$$ last year, because "UC-Berkley" doesn't exist...

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Don't be a Gator-hater ;)</p>

<p>
[quote]
That 21/1 student-faculty ratio is just ridiculous, though, even for a public university. Compare with UC Berkeley 16/1, UVA 15/1, U Michigan 15/1, U Wisconsin 13/1, William & Mary 11/1. I'd be wary about that, especially for a pre-med major as it could mean a lot of mega-lectures and possibly some closed classes that you need for your major.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>UF is in the process of addressing the issue of the large student/professor ratio by increasing tuition by 15% this year to hire more factuality. Florida law allows UF to eventually raise tuition 40% over the state's base tuition.</p>

<p>
[quote]
^UF has a medical school.....Berkeley doesn't and it just barely passed Berkeley. Berkeley is usually ranked in the top five research universities in the world, UF is not even in the top 30. If Berkeley included UCSF (which is basically Berk's med school) it would be second in research after JHU. Being from Fl it is absurd how kids who go to UF talk about the school.....its a good school but with a reputation as the #1 party school and #1 school where students study the least its pretty sad when UF ppl say it's the "Harvard of the South".

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Don't make excuses as to why UF got more research money last year than UC-Berkeley did.</p>

<p>and the florida homers have arrived...</p>

<p>Research money means nothing without results. Berkeley is pretty successful in every field it puts money towards. I can't say I've heard the same for Florida</p>