Since @STEMX works at UMD, I would defer to her knowledge and expertise.
Yes, that is correct. Received acceptance on Friday, 1/30 at 5 pm.
Still not seeing any admitted student events. Any idea when these get updated? Might have to check with admissions office on Monday.
Hey I think I might’ve found some astrology for scholarships:
Log into portal, Inspect Element → Network, reload, and click on “Admitted Students” (while having the network tab open.) An entry which includes “aura?r=20” should appear, click on it and go to the Response tab. There you should see a line which says: ”Merit_Scholarship__c": “{scholarship code}”
The actual name of the scholarship can be found by finding the network entry which includes “aura?r=23“ and going into Responses, there you will find a hardcoded mapping of scholarship codes to names. For example, I got “P5” which seems to map to presidential 5k:
…
“Merit_Scholarship_Value__c”: “P5”,
“Merit_Scholarship_Label__c”: “President’s $5,000 per year”,
…
I’ve tried this with my friends and we’ve all seen a variety of codes, but I’m pretty sure Banneker and other scholarships require interviews so it’s extremely likely what you see isn’t final, but this is definitely interesting to see! Please lmk if this works.
My daughter was accepted but not interested. Several of her classmates were waitlisted. How does waitlisted work for them? How do they decide who can come off the waitlist? One of them has divorced parents and they are of no help so I’m trying to guide her as best I can without overstepping. I just told her not to give up hope as there will be plenty of kids who are accepted but don’t enroll. I think the chances are slim though.
Wait Lists are rejections but a hedge for the school - meaning, if they fall short of enrollment goals, they’ll pull. And they often do.
Colleges often put more on the Wait List than students enrolled - so while some typically come off, it’s unfair to many.
However, UMD seems to do the opposite. In the 2025/26 CDS - so this current class, per the Common Data set, they only Wait Listed 247 and let in none. The year before they WL 250 and let in none.
Now one concern I have with this data is they also show, in addition to the low counts, that zero opted to stay on the Wait List. At first I thought the data might be incorrect but it’s not.
The 250 is correct though as they have this on their website: “Each year, we place around 250 students on the waitlist.” It seems odd that several of her friends would be amongst the 250. I believe they also offer Spring admission with a Fall waitlist - could some of them have received that?
As for why none opt-in, they say on the website: “No, there is no need to take any action to indicate your interest.” meaning you don’t do anything - there is no opt-in.
I would guide -since there’s nothing to do for UMD and it’s highly, highly unlikely they’ll get an acceptance to focus on affordable acceptances - and if there are none, there is still time to find them. Lots of great schools, that are lower in cost, are still accepting apps.
This way, they fall in love with a new top school - and then if somehow UMD comes in later, they can revisit. But they’re acknowledging that it is highly unlikely:
“Typically, we admit very few students, if any, from the waitlist. As a result, we advise students to assume that fall admission from the waitlist is unlikely.”
If the students need some affordable schools still taking apps, let us know - and they can set up a chance me or DM me privately with some info for ideas. I hate when students don’t have guidance.
Good luck.
Thank you very much for the detailed response. I forwarded this to our school counselor and asked them to step in to help. Since I’m not their parent I’m a bit uncomfortable trying to advise at this point. I believe the students were either rejected or deferred not waitlisted. They were a bit upset so I think the admission jargon got mixed up with them.
Appreciate it again. I hope this helps others too.
When do merit scholarships come out?
.
When will admitted students day schedules be posted?
UMD has not gone to the waitlist in the past 15+ years. It is highly unlikely, especially given that last year more freshmen enrolled than expected (high yield).
UMD does not defer - it is accepted for fall, accepted for spring, or denied admission.
My Jersey Girl was admitted!!! Guess you pump your own gas in MD?
A link to UMD’s waitlist FAQs was posted above so I have removed the other links that were just posted again. I can see that a poster has replied to the person who linked the waitlist FAQs.
Reminder to please stay on topic.
If a student was admitted but it says Jan then that is admitted spring semester to start?
That would make sense. Were you offered Freshman Connection? UMD’s website is pretty extensive - I’m assume they’ve heard all these questions before. Take a look. You’ll find a lot there.
“Given the university’s continued commitment to academic success for all students, we remain unable to increase the size of our classes to accommodate additional students. We offer spring admission to students who we feel will be academically successful and contribute to the overall campus community. Freshman students who are offered spring semester admission should confirm enrollment online and pay the enrollment fee by November 15, unless they choose to participate in Freshmen Connection. Students interested in Freshmen Connection must first confirm their enrollment at UMD.”
“Freshmen Connection is a fall semester extension program offered to all students admitted for the spring semester. In Freshmen Connection, you enroll in courses for the fall semester during off-peak times. Freshmen Connection students can live in on-campus housing beginning in the fall semester, take advantage of the university’s resources and participate in UMD activities and organizations.”
“Participation in Freshmen Connection is optional, but interested students must first confirm their enrollment at UMD.”
Office of Undergraduate Admissions | Freshman Admission Decision FAQs
Seems that is the case. Contact their admissions office to be sure.
It’s for the student who told me she was waitlisted. Turns out she is accepted for Jan.
Ha ha - she scored - and if I’m reading right, and @STEMX can verify, if they want to go in the fall, they can do connections - which makes it sound like you’re a full student that has to take classes at off times. Hey, you get to sleep in every day ![]()
So the good news, they can go to UMD or they can find another that suits them better. Nice to have choices (except for the part about having to make a decision). But I’d look more at the link below in the next line, but it seems a reasonable thing.
Freshmen Connection is a fall semester extension program offered to all students admitted for the spring semester. In Freshmen Connection, you enroll in courses for the fall semester during off-peak times. Freshmen Connection students can live in on-campus housing beginning in the fall semester, take advantage of the university’s resources and participate in UMD activities and organizations.
Participation in Freshmen Connection is optional, but interested students must first confirm their enrollment at UMD.