University of Miami Class of 2019 Early Action Results

D got 26K - looking forward to Singer/Stamps weekend!

@nickhart My child in Florida got $0 in scholarship while another student from Georgia got close to $20,000, and that student in Georgia had an ACT score 4 whole points LOWER than the ACT of my child.

Merit scholarships are based on SAT/ACT, GPA, and class rank. That could explain why some people got more/less money!

I have a 2070/1380 SAT and didn’t get any scholarship $

Btw does anyone know when we find out about financial aid?

@kazy11 oh okay, I applied to Rollins as well and got accepted. I’ll probably end up there. It’s a lot smaller than Miami or UF, but the school is amazing and it’s a lot closer to my boyfriend than UM is hahah :slight_smile:

@nicvicblan SAT/ACT, GPA, and class rank may explain why admittees get more or less money, but what explains EARLY ACTION admittees getting zip? Zero? Nada? The way I see it, if an applicant is not worth a dollar, why admit him early action?

Merit money may also be based on your intended major and how many other applicants are applying to that major as well. If there are more business majors than marine biology, then someone majoring in marine bio with an ACT of 29 may get more money that a business major with an ACT of 32. Meaning the group of business majors will need more competitive stats within that group in order to get $$

@juergensen University of Miami is a private school … not a State school and no tax money goes to it so Instate/Out of State makes no difference in acceptance it doesn’t matter if your in Florida or Texas or NJ … its all the same. If you want In State advantage that is U of Fla or Fla State

I think you can not make any decisions based only on 1 ACT or SAT score without seeing the entire breakdown of the application, class rank, or knowing the major the person applied to. You can be ranked #1 at one school with a 3.75 and #20 at a different school with a 3.75. There are people ranked #30 at my school with a 3.75 because so many kids have 3.9’s in the top 10%.

There is a kid at my school who is ranked #13 out of 100 who got a 2350 SAT … I am ranked #2 out of 100 with a 2110.
Who should get the money? There are people at my school who have 2300s but are in no clubs … no sports … no school involvement. Who is to say what they are looking at … it is the application as a whole … teacher letter etc.

The entire school of Miami does not pick the kids in a whole but the individual colleges do … college of business … college of engineering … it is obviously the kids who each “individual” college needs to fill the spots who are offered money as incentives. That doesn’t mean just grades either.

Hi guys, I checked canelink Saturday morning and found out I was deferred, but I just check again and the deferred notification is gone under communications and only the UGRD application received is there. What does this mean?

@nickhart I didn’t use the Georgia student to suggest a state issue. I used it to add color to the narrative. That said, your points are well and good, explaining well why applicants get different levels of scholarship money. What they don’t explain is why so many “Early Action” admittees - presumably the cream of the UM applicant pool - get zipped in scholarship money.

@HasheemThabeet‌ Hmm… That’s odd. You might want to wait to see what you get mailed.

@kazy11 hey, if we don’t get into UF we should definitely road trip to Gainesville together one time!! Or we should at least meet up there!!

@itstamara do you know if other deferred students also have this or do they still have the deferral available?

Do you guys think all of the deferrals went out in that random wave a few days ago, or do you think if we haven’t heard yet we may still get a deferral?

People who got deferred: do you still have the deferral notice under your communications tab?

My deferral notification disappeared as well. It’s probably just a system error that it disappeared, or they moved all deferral applications to RD so it just goes away automatically.

I asked my rep about the deferral thing and he said there was a glitch with decisions so they are trying to get everything on canelink by tomorrow night.

@curlyhairedgirl makes sense. I thought for a second that maybe the rescinded the deferral!

@HasheemThabeet‌ I have no clue, sorry. You can try calling UM about this though.