Yep. I know people personally over the year’s. That’s why I always say to apply. Let them refuse you before you refuse yourself. Once you get aid they also help you with other things like Study Abroad etc. It’s hard due to the cost of admission now. My son graduated in 2021 and the rise in cost is not small.
Note to in-state acceptances: if you can afford it Michigan is one of the best deals out there for ROI. You can go away later and on your internships. Lol
Make sureyou complete the FAFSA and CSS profile, if you dont you won’t be eligible for any need based merit money. We didn’t think there was a chance of money based on our income and wouldn’t you know they provided a Michigan grant for OOS students. It wasn’t a lot but we felt the love just the same and it made it competitive ..ish. It’s still Michigan and an amazing school. My DD as a current student, gets it every year and it goes up accordingly with tuition changes.
We went through this as well. Didn’t think we would qualify. Not even close and being self employed. But also some OOS Michigan Grant and didn’t think it was a thing. We also had another child at another college at the same and overlapped time. This is why I always say to apply and see where the chips might fall. I just know too many people that never thought they would get anything and ended up with money which made it more affordable.
Parachuting in to defend Michigan (as a legacy and I have a Ross freshman this year) – I think it’s common for portals at large universities to crash because of the overwhelming surge in web traffic - if close to 80,000 applicants as well as parents (or counselors?) are trying to access the portal at the same moment, the IT infrastructure gets bottlenecked causing the system to slow down or crash. I don’t think this is indicative of not being the creme de la creme or not being situated to handle the “basics” or student’s well-being. I don’t think the Michigans of the world have ramped up as quickly as their admissions numbers spiked. I also don’t think Michigan’s “botching” everything this year is indicative of the seriousness with which they take the admissions process. Sorry for the defensiveness, I just think that the applicants (who have admittedly been through a lot of stress - I get it, we were right there with you last year) – but I think the applicants also have to have patience with the large universities managing their applicant pool as well and as gracefully as possible. This is serious business to U of M, and I trust they are doing everything possible to get their applicants through this without the bumps and bruises.
I understand the frustration. I am responding to the some of the comments (not just to your comment, but to others as well) – I don’t think that the admissions blunders should be conflated with how serious Michigan treats the well-being of their students, or that it is “ironic” how UM expects leaders and best in their admitted students pool, but doesn’t expect that of itself. UM is the top rated public university for many, many reasons. I’m just trying to make the point that it is best to approach these hiccups in stride.
Also, for context, my student applied EA and was deferred and was not admitted until end of March in the RD pool. It’s a long road, but hanging in there is worth it (if you have the stomach for it and the ability to commit from an affordability standpoint). My student has loved Michigan since day 1 and will bleed maize and blue just like me, until the end.
D26 was deferred to RD. I am not looking forward to this long wait because I am a planner but I think this is the one she is waiting on. Can someone tell me how long after acceptance do they send the letter with the financials?
Compared to how similar schools handle admissions, Michigan is clearly not doing a good job. They should look to UVA as a model for how to do admissions right at a similar school. Night and day.
Thank you! Def feels the stress and hypercompetitive environment of Ross, rushing business frats, navigating clubs . . . but loving AA (not so much the weather), the Big House, watching Yax kill it on the court (!) – it’s been a great freshman year and has already learned so much.
There are many schools that handle admissions really well (Wake, Georgia, I think @Knowsstuff would say Georgia Tech (?) – I am not personally familiar). I just think that comparing the admissions processes of Michigan to UVA or any of these is not particularly useful. Each university has its own unique mission, values, and goals that shape its incoming class. Michigan might prioritize certain academic programs, research, or diversity initiatives differently than UVA. As public universities, both are influenced by their respective state governments and must comply with different state laws and policies regarding admissions. One might be governed by state laws that may prohibit affirmative action, while the other could allow for different considerations in the admissions process. Even if both schools claim to use a “holistic" admissions process, how they interpret and implement that process can vary greatly due to internal policies, traditions, and resources. What we see on the so-called “surface” likely doesn’t scratch the surface of the process and how it is shaped by different laws, institutional goals, applicant pools and evaluation methods.
Thanks. I’m just referring to how the process is administered, how/when/what information is shared, etc. The UM admissions dept appears incompetent compared to most highly selective schools.
I think we have had this conversation before. We can’t solve the way a college goes about their process. Many schools are similar. If there are complaints please let the school know how you feel. On their website it clearly says you will find out by April.
But if there is more conversation please direct it to the undergraduate admissions.
No, but a key point of CC is to discuss college admission process…lol. The good, bad, ugly, and details. Saying people shouldn’t seek to compare, contrast, understand, and yes, point out poor processes. Its seems very off-brand for the mission of CC to say we should just not talk about processes.
I totally understand this. But at some point it goes south. This has been brought up by the same people before. CC is also not a debate society according to their rules. There isn’t much more to say about it besides complaining about the process. I would rather help people through this process. To me that is more of the mission of CC.
I think, in the end, people that truly want to go to UM, will go to UM if they get in and all the other ducks fall in a row ($$, etc).
Some people use poor admissions “activities” as a reason to eliminate someone, but it’s usually during a visit that fell flat (info session, tour, etc.) vs. these type of issues - which raise blood pressure but few likely say, their process stinks so therefore I’m not going.
Perhaps someone should start a new thread where people can share their opinions on the admissions processes of different schools? I am one of the people who finds Michigan’s wanting (even though my kid is admitted and likely to attend), and I do believe that this thread is a reasonable place to express that opinion, civilly and respectfully. But I also think that the inevitable comparisons with other schools mean the conversation often strays beyond the scope of this thread, so a new one might be in order.
Anyway…we’re headed to Ann Arbor this weekend for Campus Day. Anything we shouldn’t miss?
Debating is VERY different than pointing something out as unusual, confusing to the viewer/poster etc. Saying UVA is better than MI is different than saying MI is confusing to me, and I found the process infuriating.
Anyway, I will drop it, but my two cents are that sometimes the Michigan boards come off as very defensive about the school’s approach and a blind spot. It seems “common knowledge” to me (my observation) across admissions boards/experts that their processes and procedures are messy. Admitting isn’t a big deal. Nobody is perfect.
Congratulations. The Arb. Many don’t even know it’s there. It’s a beautiful place to go to study or decompress. It’s unique to have this on a campus. Nichols Arboretum | Matthaei Botanical Gardens & Nichols Arboretum https://share.google/XKVtkshpgcgx29Cn5