University of Michigan Early Action / Early Decision Class of 2030 Official Thread

So I get it. To some the process sucks. How’s that? If your child is selected during Ed or EA than the process isn’t as painful. But for over 10 year’s being on here the being deferred theme is constant. It’s a very in demand school. Families want to know now. Trust me. I get it. Been there and done that.

But as many schools give a quick one time look at your application. Michigan gives at least 2 and sometimes 3 different looks at the application. Many chances to get it. They take building their classes very seriously. There are many you tubes etc on students reading their admissions files. I know people /students personally that have done this. They are true to their word. With over 90,000 applications lots of people get deferred. I look at it as getting a second /third chance. It’s not a personal thing but sure feels like it.

Again. On the Michigan sites it says you will find out in April. This has been the constant for all these year’s. Some people will find out earlier.

My suggestions is to find other schools your child is really excited about and learn about them now. If there are in theory 50% or less of the seats left the chances become dimmer. It’s pretty much luck these day’s and not ability.

Selection Process | University of Michigan Office of Undergraduate Admissions https://share.google/HWHH8dzHgoRscGOGg

It’s not about deferred or admitted. It’s about administration. Ie announce when decisions are coming out instead of playing games like cryptic cube or squirrel videos. When you do announce, kids checking their portal should be able to understand the decision rather than be left with more question marks after checking their portal. It’s not about timing, it is about respecting kids who have spent a lot of time and energy to apply to the school. I respect and appreciate other schools, such as UVA, who put energy into getting the process right. The only school that rejected my kid, Vanderbilt, did an excellent job managing the process. Michigan’s process just isn’t up to their standard of “leaders and best”. It’s ok to criticize institutions you love, it makes them better.

At least they didn’t do what MIT did yesterday, though!

1 Like

As @Knowsstuff points out, it’s the beating of the dead horse by the same (few) people over and over and over. Non-critical posts get removed from threads here all the time for saying the same thing over and over and over, whether debating or otherwise.

5 Likes

I am afraid to ask what MIT did :fearful:…

Again, I /we understand what you are saying. I get it but repeating it doesn’t make the situation better. Talking to admissions might. We never felt this way when our son applied. We knew he would find out in April regardless when he applied. We got lucky that he got accepted early. Many, many of his friends didn’t but ended up at Michigan.

Stating the same things over doesn’t improve on the conversation of applying. But I agree that maybe starting another thread about the admission process would be warranted. We are just trying to help those that applied. We can’t possibly have an impact on what Michigan or any school does in their process. They aren’t UVA. Period. I hope that makes sense?

1 Like

MIT accidentally sent acceptance letters to some students yesterday and then told them to disregard! :scream:

4 Likes

In a perfect world, there is a likely a lot we would all want to change about college admissions, but you can’t expect a public university to have the same process as a private university that has 1/5 the undergraduate population.

1 Like

Agree. UVA gets 80,000 applications for 4,000 spots and did a wonderful job. It’s about priorities.

Sounds like your experience with UVA was wonderful, and that your student will be very happy there. Maybe focus on UVA instead of Michigan?

4 Likes

Brandon (tineocollege prep) recently posted about OOS deferrals… his expectation is to see “lots” accepted LSA at U of Mich– he says this is a clear trend. Thoughts?

This is typical of michigan threads I have seen. Some people are very defensive about the school, while others want to give constructive feedback to make the school even better.

Reminds me of this other thread. Some people wanted the school to use better language in communication while others saw nothing wrong.

While I understand your frustration because we felt it too while waiting for the decision and couldn’t understand why some EA decisions were released and then many still kept waiting and would have preferred to know exactly when they are getting released instead of guessing, calling them incompetent is taking it too far in my opinion. There was obviously a technical glitch where the deferred applicants could not see the results and that was unfortunate and hopefully they have fixed that and it won’t happen again. But as we saw with MIT these things can happen anywhere.

1 Like

I’d say my opinion is probably about as valuable as Brandon’s :wink:

Of course it is.

1 Like

So “New rule “for all students that Apply for housing by May 11th, you will be able to be on central campus. That’s a big change. FIRST-YEAR AND TRANSFER APPLICATION INFORMATION – Michigan Housing https://share.google/spIFuqhmqZLMJt7VR

For the 2026-2027 academic year, all first-year students who apply for housing by May 11 will be able to live on Central Campus if desired.

5 Likes

Theme Communities & Michigan Learning Communities – Michigan Housing https://share.google/cXHA4ecxPUP81thS4

1 Like

Wow that definitely is a huge change, for the better! (That said, one of the droids was on North Campus last year and it was fine)

1 Like

My son was on north for 3 years. He worked on North as a freshman also. Lol. They have a new housing going up also….. Nice change for people that want it.

Oh wow…this is a big change. I feel like this is how it should be. But I assume that they are just now able to offer it with the new dorm opening.

My current freshman loves the school but HATES living on north campus. Hates needing to always take the bus, hates the (lack of) social scene in Baits, and also hates the Bursley dining hall. Luckily he loves everything else about Michigan!

I feel like there should be a a significantly lower cost for living on north campus.

Funny thing is, it’s a tricky one. Like the performing-arts kids often prefer to be there as I understand it since all of the main rehearsal spaces are there. Similarly, once you’re heavy into any of the engineering majors, most of your classes are on North and so then your life is way easier if you live up there. There’s actually quite a bit of apartment-type off-campus housing up there (including that large development just across the field from Baits).

Anyway, I agree this is great news for sure. I know the current stated goal of the school is to get the bed count up such that they can guarantee on-campus housing to all students for 2 years rather than 1. I believe that’s slated to happen in the next year or 3 as the various dorms under construction come on-line. That will be a very big deal for a lot of reasons.

I gotta disagree. Lol. My son liked his time on North. We live in a major city and to me Main campus is the city and North is the suburbs. But keep in mind this was during the pandemic as he graduated 2021. It is very quite on North but kinda nice. He walked past some main made lake. He even saw deer crossing his path. Just saying but that’s kinda cool. But he was engineering so it was great for him. Some of his engineering friends stayed on main campus.

I find the bus thing interesting. For suburban kid’s it’s a hassle. I guess. My son took a train to bus daily to get to school. Like 40 minutes each way by the time he walked the rest. So a 12 minute bus ride is nothing :bus::joy:… Plus it can be at social thing, especially coming back from Central after a football game. My advice . Hold on. Lol….

I totally understand that north campus might be preferable to central for some kids (if a kid has classes on north campus, or if a kid prefers a quieter environment, or if they want suite style dorms, or don’t mind the bus, etc.)

My kid happens to be very social and all of his classes are on central campus. I am glad that he has viewed it as just an annoyance and hasn’t let it ruin his freshman year.

In any event, I am glad that students who want to be on central can guarantee that going forward!

2 Likes