Congratulations to those getting off the wait list especially in May. Awesome. But are you committing?
Honestly, if this had happened a month ago, I would have said yes, my kid is committing. Not as sure now. Thankfully have two weeks to decide, and can attend an admitted student tour next week.
I get it. I just hope whatever the best fit for your child. I can praise the school up and down but to me fit not name is key for your child to flourish. Some tours are great and some are OK at the same school BTW. Lol. Reaching out on Facebook, Instagram etc also. Hopefully she finds her peeps. Please let us know either way. To to the Arb when you are there. It’s a bit out of the way by the hill but should be beautiful this time of the year and unique to the campus.
Yes - she’s committing today.
Whoo hoo. Push the button and congrats and Go Blue!
no Ross movement yet?
No clue. On reddit a few people mentioned a few people got off and one from the engineering /business program but tread lightly on Reddit.
Good luck.
If it helps . . . my student just finished freshman year (Ross) and knew of one other student who got in off the WL last year. So it does happen. Not sure when the student heard/got off the WL, but took the spot, giving up USC Marshall.
So, after a quick road trip to Ann Arbor for another tour, my D has decided to switch from CWRU to Michigan (Go Blue! I guess). However, I am a little worried that there does not appear to be a structured welcome week or activities…. On the website, it looks like freshmen move in at the same time as everyone else over a three-day period, and I am not seeing much in the way of supported activities to ease the transition. Can someone who has recently been through the process chime in on this?
Edited to add: This is my third. The older two went to smaller private schools, and my biggest concern with a Michigan or similar is the size for my non-extroverted child.
Please correct me if I am wrong but they have always had a welcome week mixed in. Don’t worry about introvert or extrovert or the size of the school. It’s easy to find your peeps and kid’s do well there once they apply themselves.
My daughter went to Beloit. Tiny fantastic school. All her professors knew her name. My son went to Michigan. His professors knew his name. Both had lunch etc with them etc. Avg professor to student is like 15:1. You can make a large school small quickly. This is why kids get involved with clubs /activities etc.
Congratulations. A good friends daughter went to Case for chemical engineering. She is doing her PhD at Michigan. Can’t go wrong with either.
Just FYI, this comes off a bit flippant to me as someone with a true introvert and has had social anxiety myself (not even a lot!). LOTS of people do NOT find their peeps (if you are on school message boards, you know this if people are being honest and the boarding is welcoming) even if they don’t have anxiety… though admittedly this can happen at a variety of-sized schools.
The latter part, “applying oneself,” is not easy for all without structure (and even harder for certain kids of certain backgrounds)… which is why many schools invest a lot in orientation programs and res life.
I appreciate the point aewlmom is making. I look closely at orientation week activities and think it shows how much schools look at building community for ALL kids and pay attention to res life. Now that need not be a priority for all (and that is totally a-ok), but it is for me.
Anyway, just my two cents. MI is undoubtedly an amazing school, but it is an unusual approach IME to have first years show up with everyone else.
I have /had an introvert that went there. He became an introverted extrovert. Seriously. I don’t ever mean to be flippant. It’s just what I have seen through the year’s. Most of his friends or sterotypically with engineering is once these kid’s find their people that become something else. Ever see a room full of introverted kid’s all enjoying the same thing like SpongeBob in college? I have. Or anything they enjoy doing? I have. You would never think they were introverts.
I didn’t mean anything like you’re saying. This is why “fit “is so important when choosing a school. My son sat in the dorm to our surprise till he found something that got him going. He started a tech club with another introvert from Ross business school. He challenged and applied himself. I call it “betting on yourself and getting out of your comfort zone”.
This took off and is going strong today. All of his good friend’s where the original 6 but they had weekly meetings with around 25-40 student’s. He even put on very successful conferences at Michigan and even online (about 1,000 people) during the pandemic when the school told him to shut it down.
He became this new different person in sophomore year. More confident. He called it “The Michigan Effect “… I guess it’s a known term. Lol.
So yes, example of one but have lived it. But have seen similar thing’s for lots of student’s, at many different types of schools so ya, finding your peeps might take some time and effort. But most things in college do. Good thing though that Michigan’s mental health facilities are also excellent if needed.
That’s what I thought too. They do have an in-person orientation day during the summer, which is great. But it doesn’t really take the place of structured activities during those first couple of days. I keep envisioning my kid in her room with no set schedule, trying to figure out what to do with herself…. The rub is that my kid is not “quirky” either – so it’s not like she has just had to find the right niche club to find her people. She literally just needs time and some forced interactions, lol.
Welcome Events | University of Michigan Office of New Student Programs https://share.google/D8znQjmOrO2iAyQ8b
Thank you. Will keep checking for update.
I think like any school - some will immediately excel, some will struggle but eventually catch on, and others simply won’t - either leaving or struggling through four years.
Well, sure. But that doesn’t mean a college can’t take steps to ease the transition. Michigan seems to have a high retention rate, so obviously most kids are able to acclimate. I was just trying to get input regarding welcome activities….
Not sure where you’re located, but my understanding as the parent of an OOS student starting in the fall is that the summer in-person sessions are mostly in-state/nearby students, while OOS students tend to attend in-person orientation in the days before classes start, around move-in. It’s a little confusing, as you pick an orientation date before a move-in date, but my kid picked an orientation day late in the week in the hopes that he will have moved in by then.
Another option your daughter might consider is joining the Welcome Team; those students move in at the beginning of move-in week and then help other students as they arrive. It sounds relatively structured and busy-keeping. (My kid might do this if he can’t get the move-in date he wants.)
Thank you for this. We are OOS. Mine just accepted an offer from the WL so I am still trying to figure things out… I was looking online to add the move-in date(s) to my calendar and was surprised to see no designated freshman move in / activities. My older kids’ schools and CWRU (where my D originally committed) all had freshman move-in and orientation activities a few days before the upper classmen move in
@DroidsLookingFor do you have any input on welcome event’s as a freshman. @CCName1 also? Thx