University of Michigan Early Action / Early Decision Class of 2030 Official Thread

I have a rising junior at Michigan and we are also OOS. We also have a recently graduated senior from a smaller college. From a parent perspective the orientation and welcome week experiences were different but their path to friendships and building community were similar. They both started out early days attending welcome week events with people from their hall. Attending the activities fair, finding a few activities they thought might be fun, and being willing go to the newcomer meeting on their own was the key for both of them in making close friends.

3 Likes

This is what happened when my son was there but graduated in 2021. The dorms had activities right away and on which continued to the activity fairs and such. I just wanted a more current perspective. Thx for sharing.

So I tried to get my son to do this but of course he didn’t. But I know kids that did. Great way to get there early and really make a small community on campus. But ya got to put yourself out there and apply.

Move In Welcome Team – Michigan Housing https://share.google/WmfyGZC094FcgtuJC

This was the experience for both of the Droids as well. I’d add:
-Leave your dorm room door propped open! Other people on the hall just naturally popped in and out. Obviously not everyone becomes a lasting friend, but it’s good to have casual acquaintances early on to get meals together, hit the club/activities fair, welcome events, etc.

One ultimately found their closest friends in a dance group, the other on a club sports team.

2 Likes

This isn’t exactly what you are asking about, but in case it helps…

I remember there being a picnic/pizza party for freshman nursing majors the first two Wednesdays (I think) of first semester. I think it was both informational (I.e tips on how to be successful in the Michigan nursing program) and social for the cohort to get to know each other.

Additionally, the nursing curriculum is so prescriptive that she will have the same people in all of her classes (except for freshman English). So there will be some familiar faces really early on. Last year they all had Biochem together on Monday mornings then all traveled together to their next nursing class, often stopping for lunch together on the way.

All of that to say…even if your daughter doesn’t find her people the first weekend, she will quickly be integrated into the nursing cohort.

1 Like

This makes me feel better! I figured the Nursing cohort would naturally create a smaller circle, but I am so happy they have social events too.

2 Likes

That would be my thinking….. When a state school, I sometimes think they assume kids know other kids because, well, a lot do, from HS or activities and some schools “rest on their laurels” or “past practice” in some areas.

Anyway may NOT be MI and they may do lots of cool stuff while other kids are there…not bad to ask the questions though.

My Michigan grad started in 2020 so it was a very different experience because of Covid restrictions. My understanding was that Welcome Week usually has a lot of fun things, both school programming and parties/gatherings/events in general.

The activities fair is a big deal and a great way to get exposed to lots of different opportunities.

2 Likes

1600 activities /club’s. There has to be something to try out. For my son he made his own club… 1601.. Haha. But he went outside his comfort zone and played flag football at 10:30 pm on Sundays in his cookie monster pj bottoms. Lol. This is when I knew he adapted. Intermural sports have different levels at Michigan with co-ed also

He was on a softball team that he said totally sucked but they had tons of fun playing. Isn’t that what’s it’s all about anyway?

1 Like

Intramural Sports • Michigan Recreation https://recreation.umich.edu/intramurals/

1 Like

This was the key for my daughter — met future roommates and lifelong friends from intramural volleyball. She scoffed at my wife when she suggested it but turned out to terrific way to meet people.

Yep. The kids listen but don’t like to lol. My son and daughter (different school) also worked all 4 years. Their choice. They felt they had too much time left over and wanted to pay for their own coffee and sushi lol. He was a referee the first two years. He got paid really well and had fun. That led him to playing the sports as well. He thought it was funny when graduate students or kids his age called him “Sir “. Lol. They get trained but also became friends with others. My daughter became a barista on campus and met a ton of people that way. Then she got the same job off campus (3 blocks away) and had a matching Roth plan. :wink:….

But yes, people have to understand getting involved in anything makes a large school, small quickly.

1 Like

My kid (just finished freshman year in Ross) is an EXTRA-extrovert, and first semester was tough, despite lucking out with a fantastic roommate who will be a lifelong friend. The transition to Michigan (or to any school, really) - all of it - finding footing, etc., is tough! My student didn’t rush, didn’t join clubs because they wanted time to figure out which ones made sense, plus, wanted to focus on school (+ football – seriously takes a lot out of their weekend!). Second semester - joined a business fraternity and several clubs – was so busy with all of it and really found their place.

Upshot - I am honestly not sure if more “welcome week” activities mean that it will take away the transition being tough. Ross had a lot of Ross-specific “games” and bonding events - and it still was hard. Of course, you know this already having older students…. and maybe it is just more overwhelming with Michigan having SO MUCH to offer. For my student, I loved that my student took the extra time to figure out the clubs and business fraternity to join - and took their time with it. I think in the long run, it was the right move.

2 Likes

yes she did get off the WL but I hadn’t read the details, thanks! And she is taking it, she is more than super excited.

1 Like

Welcome to Michigan!

I am glad you both realized that… It’s actually a great way to automatically make a large school small.

Enjoy the summer and Go Blue!

Daughter just got off the waitlist for LSA, had been planning to go to Wisconsin. Her main fear is that the housing deadline passed, and she won’t get on Central Campus or find a good roommate (she loves her anticipated Wisconsin roommate). I know these aren’t the biggest concerns in the larger scheme of things, but is there anyone who experienced living as a freshman on North Campus (if I’m even getting my terminology correct) or somewhere else instead of Central, and how it went? Hoping to provide some comfort. :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks.

Contact housing immediately and see what the options are. The Hill is another options which is by the Arb and central campus adjacent. Many freshman live on North campus. My son for for 3/4 year’s at Michigan. It’s just a 12 minute bus ride away and quite. He saw deer going to classes :deer:. He grew up in a major city taking a train to bus to school 40 minutes each way. He used to tell me this saves him time being only 12 minutes. Lol.

Congratulations!

I thought with the new housing development every freshman was guaranteed central campus.

1 Like

It’s all who applied by May 11 are and why I said to contact housing immediately.

FIRST-YEAR AND TRANSFER APPLICATION INFORMATION – Michigan Housing https://share.google/pS2vczN5bsBEaKcWy

The other possibilities for housing placement could be Fletcher Hall or Oxford Houses, which are considered Central Campus, but considered less desirable by some, because they’re well “off the beaten path.”