Using logic in arguments?

<p>Simply put, is it always a good thing to back up your arguments with facts and logic? </p>

<p>I ask because I got into an argument with my parents the other day about how school is kicking my butt, and it's stressing me out. They made me print out my transcript, and told me to look for examples of how I'm stressin' to the max.. All i really wanted at the moment was for someone to hear me out, not lecture me about how my study habits suck lol.</p>

<p>I rarely argue with anyone, but when I do, it's with emotion. plain and simple. My parents, on the other hand, won't believe anything unless it's been printed in a scientific journal...</p>

<p>What is fact?</p>

<p>YOU UNEDUCATED LIBERAL.</p>

<p>/Sarcasm</p>

<p>That doesn't sound like an argument to me. I say all arguments should be backed by logic, but that isn't an argument. Either you feel stressed or you don't.</p>

<p>Logic is both valuable and potentially dangerous to use in arguments. Obviously, it is correct to use logic in your discussions but often times, in common settings, you sound like an ******* if you use a heavily logic-based argument.</p>

<p>I think an "argument" should inherently be logical... but telling someone you're stressed about school doesn't have to be an "argument."</p>

<p>Everything's an argument.</p>

<p>Maybe you being stressed is a fact. But you trying to get your parents to react to your complaints a certain way is an argument. They didn't react the way you wanted them to, thus your argument fell short somewhere.</p>