Visa Delayed - please help

<p>hello everybody</p>

<p>Today I went in for the visa interview and it was very quick and the interviewer said I would be granted a visa but, under new laws passed after 9/11 I need additional checks on my application because I share a similar name to a person who is 'very unqualified' for a visa.</p>

<p>I am so worried now because this procedure coudl take months, maybe even three. And university starts in late August.</p>

<p>Has this happened to anyone else or to people know of it happening to anyone? If so, please tell me what the outcome was. I am so distressed becase all my plans have gone to pieces</p>

<p>happened to me. waited for a year. thought i had no chance. enrolled in the second year</p>

<p>Ouch, thats gotta hurt. By the way, are you from Pakistan ? 'Cuz this problem of yours occurs there quite frequently.</p>

<p>I've heard of a Pakistani who got into a TOP college but was denied entry in the US because his name was similar to that of a dead terrorist. Poor him.</p>

<p>yeah, i know of a senior at mid-school, got into yale and stanford, but no visa. he did end up at stanford the next year though.</p>

<p>It looks as if the wating period is about a year, according to you guys. Man, my worst fears realised.</p>

<p>wow karmeni! I really feel sorry for you. You know what I'd do in your case? I'd call immediately the media; I'd right a letter to the embassy in your country. It's simply NOT FAIR!!.. and you don't lose anything if you try. </p>

<p>Good luck kameni!</p>

<p>I was worried about something like that due to the name issue. But thankfully it didn't happen with me.</p>

<p>Keep your fingers crossed kameni!</p>

<p>Hey, kameni, it might not take that long. At what college are you planning to enroll? You could give them a call, explaining your situation. Maybe they could intervene.</p>

<p>dude i'm so sorry to hear, inform your college though - i know a couple of people this has happened too also</p>

<p>kameni! contact your college! maybe they can help! and if your name is similar to that of a terrorist or someone like that, ask for an appeal? or show them your birth certificate and stuff. tss. that's so stupid. they're so paranoid!!!</p>

<p>Yes, I have sent a correspondence to the university. You're right, I have to remain hopeful.</p>

<p>Sadly, there is little you can do methinks besides call up the Consular General's Office and ISSO of your University...</p>

<p>Alternatively, just change your name. (Okay, don't do that.)</p>