Wait list for Boston University BFA Acting, what are chances of acceptance now?

<p>My S was just notified he is on the BU wait list, how can we gage his chances of being admitted now? He has been accepted to CALArts and is still waiting to hear from NYU Tisch, USC and Carnegie Mellon.</p>

<p>Not to be a huge downer, but I’m pretty sure all the CMU acceptance calls have been made. And the rumor is that if you didn’t get an invitation to the USC open house this week, you are likely not accepted there either. So although it’s not a no until it’s a definite no, if I were you, I’d encourage your son to get very excited about CalArts. Tisch decisions come on April 1st. I don’t know much about the waitlist at BU. So he might have a choice in the end. But from a mental health point of view, he’ll be better off to get psyched about CalArts, and if one of those others comes through, it can be a happy surprise. </p>

<p>Thank you itsthejourney, he is very excited about CALArts. Is it common for the rejection notifications to to go out after the acceptance notifications for USC and CMU? This process, BFA Acting program, is new to me.</p>

<p>USC acceptances and rejections usually go out on the same day. And, yeah, CMU is done calling. NYU takes a large number though so I wouldn’t give up on that one just yet. Cal Arts is a great program but very different from NYU or USC.</p>

<p>BU had an unprecedented number of applications overall this year - 54,000 for 3,700 spots.
I believe application rates have gone up a lot this year - last year we heard was tough but this year surpasses!
With the number of students applying for theatre programs both BFA and BA - it is ridiculously competitive.

<p>Thank you for the responses. It is good to keep perspective. If my son is still interested in BU, should he contact the theater program and let him know this. There was a question on the notification web site asking him if he was still interested, and he said yes, but, would it be best to follow-up with the theater department directly?</p>

<p>When we got WL’d at Syracuse, I had my son send his second semester grades and a student film he’d made to them, along with an email expressing how much he wanted to get into the program. Though I have to say, it didn’t work, so I’m not sure whether we helped or hurt our chances. </p>

<p>I do not want to give my son false hope, but, I am wondering if there is some play on the BFA wait lists; as it seemed from the auditions that my son attended, that the same students were applying to the same schools, e.g. BU, CMU, SUNY, Rutgers, NYU. Does anyone have any experience with the BFA wait list process?</p>

<p>I am curious about the wait list at BU this year. Typically they over extend offers to produce a desired yield (expecting a certain number of no’s). In that scenario, there really is no need for a wait list. Enough of the acceptances have said “no” which then allows a natural whittling down of the class size. However, in the past two years more students have accepted the offer and the class sizes have been larger than desired. They may have changed the way they offered acceptances this year and are now using a wait list system. It may not hurt to contact the department and make them aware of your student’s continued interest. They may also explain how they anticipate the wait list process will work.</p>

<p>Interesting, I will call BU tomorrow and try to get additional information. Thank you.</p>

<p>I called the admissions office and the first thing that they confirmed is that merit based scholarships are likely not available to students who move from the wait list to acceptance, which is a major bummer, and she recommended that applicants that are really interested in the school should contact their school representative and let them know this. I have yet to contact the theater program directly to determine how many applicants are on the wait list and if they expect any movement on it. I hope this helps. </p>