Waitlist

<p>Are there any chances of my son getting off a waitlist this late in the game? Has anyone ever experienced a space opening up late in summer?</p>

<p>You should call the school's admissions office. They would be able to give you an educated guess about your son's chances. </p>

<p>Some accepted students get cold feet, or develop health, academic or family issues, and decide not to attend during the summer. Some schools are overenrolled, however, so a student deciding not to attend doesn't automatically mean that the school needs an extra student. Also, if a junior boarding girl decides to attend a new school, that decision won't free up a spot for a freshman boarding boy. </p>

<p>If you are not happy with the school your son would otherwise attend, you should look for another school. An educational consultant can help. Educational</a> Consultants - IECAonline.com | Home You could also set aside a day to call schools, to see if any have openings. The SSAT organization lists "schools currently considering applications," otherwise known as the SCCA list. Some schools will have openings, but won't list them publicly, so it is worth your time to call. Unfortunately, many schools are on vacation now, so office hours may vary.</p>

<p>Area organizations of independent schools may have a list of schools looking for students. This is from the AISNE website:

[quote]
School Openings
Some member schools have a limited number of openings for the fall. AISNE collects those openings and can help families looking for schools for the fall, by providing a list of openings that match the family's needs. Call 781-843-8440 and ask for Carol-Ann or Karen.

[/quote]
<a href="http://www.AISNE.org%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.AISNE.org&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>All of the above is much easier if your family is able to pay full tuition.</p>

<p>It probably depends on the school and the year, but last year when I was working at Andover, admissions was still keeping the waitlist running in July because of the reasons Periwinkle listed. I don't know if anyone got off, but Andover considered it enough of a possibility to have the waitlist still running (and asked certain students to call to confirm interest in remaining on it).</p>

<p>Thanks . I'll look into what you proposed. It's frustrating for my son. We really don't like his present school and have not renewed our contract. In fact ALL of his friends are leaving next year and many, like us don't know where to.</p>

<p>Andover sent us a note saying there were two times when attrition was likely to happen - in May when deposits from existing students are due, and August when payments are due.</p>

<p>I appreciated their candor. I suspect many other schools are like that as well.</p>

<p>Thanks Exie. May is over but the bit about August seems promising although who would pay the deposit and then decide not to go? Does that really happen?</p>

<p>It does happen. I know a family or two who have paid the deposit at one school, but would jump to another school, were a spot to open up. </p>

<p>It also depends which school you're hoping for. (You don't have to identify it.) Some schools can afford to offer very generous financial aid. That means that fewer families would decide they couldn't afford it in August. </p>

<p>If you can afford it, I would recommend visiting an educational consultant who specializes in prep schools (not therapeutic high schools.) If you go it alone, erlanger's approach last year struck me as a very effective method:</p>

<p>
[quote]
After D was waitlisted at all schools last year, I emailed the admissions director at about 10 other potential schools to see if they'd take a late application. I sent a summary document--listing GPA, test scores, ECs, etc. to give them an idea of her as a candidate. All responded very honestly, and most encouraged her to apply, even if they said the best should might see is a W/L until they say their numbers shake out by April. She ended up getting in off the W/L at one original school and got 4-4 yesses from the schools that encouraged her to submit after March 10. There are options after March 10--you just have to reach out more broadly. We also talked to a ed. consultant after the W/Ls and learned that applying to 3 top schools was probably not the best strategy--needed more applications to increase odds of getting acceptances.

[/quote]
</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-parents/879912-rejected-searching-new-school.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-parents/879912-rejected-searching-new-school.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>You could also call the admissions department at the school which waitlisted your son, and ask for schools which they would recommend for your son. The admissions world is a small world, they do talk with each other at conferences and such, and they might know of schools they respect which are looking for students. They know much more about other schools than outsiders do. They have often taught or worked at other schools, or have friends who work at other schools.</p>

<p>Lastly, it is worth your while to check out all-boys schools, if you haven't already. There are some really good schools which are overlooked because they're not coed.</p>

<p>Since my D just got her final report card, is it worth forwarding to the schools where's she's still on a waitlist? Thoughts?</p>

<p>We are going to send the final report card......the waiting is tough!</p>

<p>From Choate (shortened version):</p>

<p>"As I write, the school year has officially ended and our 2010-2011 enrollment has settled. We are not in a position to make additional offers. I also understand, for many families, there are significant deposits due at other schools and I'm sensitive to those matters for all involved.</p>

<p>From this point on it would take a "surprise" and therefore an unpredictable enrollment change to allow us to go to our Wait List. It is in good conscience that I must encourage you to move forward with your plans."</p>