Waitlisted

<p>As I was walking back home, my mind began to wander as I often do as I walk. First, I imagined getting into Yale and my body was awash with exquisite joy. And then I imagined opening the mail and running through the streets screaming...</p>

<p>Then my mind began to consider the possibility that I was deferred. I tried to convince myself that I wouldn't be deferred, but I couldn't. "You have good scores.."... "But so do half the applicants"... "Good rank, IB Program" ... "who cares". Then it hit, I was going to be deferred. My ECs are strong, but I have no real hook. Lots of activities, a couple of leadership, nothing stand-out. I'm going to be deferred, so that Yale can compare me better to other students in my school. I might end up rejected, accepted or waitlisted; we'll find out in April.</p>

<p>I feel kind of down now. But I guess, now that I know that I will be deferred, I can concentrate fully on my other applications. </p>

<p>Sigh...</p>

<p>You have a much better chance than most. You are a URM with amazing test scores and a fantastic GPA. Don't sell yourself short. If you don't have a great shot, no one does.</p>

<p>By the way, your hook is your URM status. By definition, a hook is something like URM status, legacy, etc...</p>

<p>aww, don't be sad. I'm starting to think that I'm going to be deferred also... but don't get upset about it. you have wonderful stats and everything. I'm sure you'll get in.</p>

<p>I'm not all that sad. Hmm... all I need to do is get this out of my mind and I'll be ok.</p>

<p>Anyways, what are your plans if Yale does not work out?</p>

<p>I'm applying to about a million schools. If I don't get into any, I'll become a garbage-woman.</p>

<p>haha, but what's your #2.</p>

<p>I don't really have a number 2. Maybe Amherst.</p>

<p>woah....... that's mine as well.</p>

<p>I'm still deciding my number 2..... do you know what yours is? are you online right now?</p>

<p>brown and columbia are up there....</p>

<p>chidimma, are you talking to me? I'm on msn right now.</p>

<p>Haha, davidrune, I have that same exact "opening the mail than running down my street screaming" fantasy. Whenever I think about how I would feel if I get in I get chills.</p>

<p>I've been debating about how to handle if I get in. I mean of course I want to scream and tell all my friends... but then you have the whole jealousy factor and the people who didn't get into their schools early (since everyone is finding out the same time) who would feel bad. But then you have how to handle not getting in besides being upset. On the 16th everyone is gonna be like "Did you get in !??" with a big smile on their face, all excited I don't want to disappoint them :( I think I might do what someone suggested in a diff thread- on monday tell everyone I didn;t get in or something. The only obstacle would be that I'm a horrible liar.</p>

<p>haha, youre a nicer person than i am then, because if i get in im making dam* sure that everybody knows it, i dont care who gets jealous. Ill make myself a shirt that says "GOING TO YALE" on it so that even strangers might pause to ask "are you really?" and i can respond "yes!"</p>

<p>keep up your confidence guys, no second guessing. the less you worry about it and the more you enjoy the anticipation, the better off youll be, because no matter what happens come 31 days, youll be able to say "i really had fun the last month and a half hoping and wishing and daydreaming about getting in"</p>

<p>hahaha thats a good idea nice inspiration!</p>

<p>Amherst seems to be a popular second choice for Yale applicants. I guess people perceive Amherst as providing the same kind of personal attention as Yale. If money is an issue, however, consider making Harvard or Princeton your second choice. They will charge you at least $5,000 less to attend than Amherst. They are extremely financial aid-friendly. You pay top dollar at Amherst. Amherst just doesn't the deep pockets HP have. Many Amherst/Ivy cross admits would have gone to Amherst but for the money question. Even for those who are blue-bent for Yale, the advantage of making HP you second choice is that Y is not as generous as HP. Admission to H and P forces Yale to give you a better financial aid package to protect their yield. Y does not consider Amherst a serious competitor. That said, D and L are in at Yale.</p>

<p>Davidrune, you shouldn't worry about how to act if you get in. Getting into Yale is an incredible accomplishment and people understand how incredible it is. Those kids who don't get into their schools early won't get mad, they shouldn't at least. I'm lucky because at my school there is only one other kid applying early to a school, to William & Mary, and I think he's definitely in, so I won't have to worry about acting craz if I get in, or having everyone saying "I got into Princeton, I got into wherever," over and over again while I stew in my own depression.</p>

<p>btw it was me who is worried
but you're lucky about your school- at mine there are least 30 applying early to ivy league and prob 60 or so applying early in general- lots os competition</p>