What Are You "Behind The Times" On In Your Life??

@Midwest67
Count me on that one. I was asking about “me me” and DS gave me a strange look, corrected my pronunciation. Still thinking it should be pronounced my way tho. :smiley:

Drinking tap water also seems to be “behind the times” even though (in most of the US where the tap water is safe to drink) bottled water seems to be a waste of money (and environmentally unfriendly for those who care about such things).

Google Home, Siri, Alexa - no thought of using any of them. Not a chance.
TV dramas. I don’t watch This Is Us, any PD or Fire or Hospital shows, Downton Abbey, etc. I used to, but no more.
Online games. I don’t know what Minecraft and Fortnite are.

I am @zeebamom’s twin on the smart home thing! :slight_smile: And I am not anti-tech. But these don’t add any value to me, and I refuse to pay someone big $$ for these gadgets so I would be another data point in their databases. Nope. Pay me for that.

Yup—agree I have no interest in “smart” home with tech. Happy to just gave normal home and no eavesdropping devices that can video us and broadcast without our knowledge and consent. Sorry—creepy to me!

Photos and cloud storage. I’m not good at taking pictures on my phone and don’t really get cloud storage. But as for other things I really enjoy being up to date.

I don’t post much myself but I love twitter and instagram. I also really like Snapchat and “ snap” at my kids fairly often. I love seeing snap stories. My kids and others. In terms of music I like pop music and some mainstream rap. I listen to z100 radio which keeps me sort of up to date with most current pop and more mainstream rap. Love CardiB. Have an Amazon music account to make playlists.

So it sounds like for many, the thing that they are “behind the times” on, people don’t really have a desire to catch up. (I know I’m that way with movies/actors - I don’t feel like I’m missing too much - no worries for me)

Other items though like using apps, online banking, etc. - these are things people wish they had a better grasp on…so now we need a thread to make those things happen!! :slight_smile:

I personally am an expert with online banking, which is a GodSend because I move money around, run payroll and pay a lot more bills than the average bear

Way behind on music trends and musicians. My D just rolls her eyes at me:)

Don’t go to the movies, so usually have never seen any of the films nominated for awards. Every year I write down the ones I want to see but it never happens. Do not watch regular TV much. Have no interest in exploring every aspect of what my Smartphone can do. I have an old one and everyone keeps asking when I’m going to get a new one.

But where I really saw my age was when I went on a long trip recently with some girlfriends, two of which are younger. I am a paper map gal. Always studying the map before heading out for travel or sightseeing and carry a map with me. These ladies literally had no idea what the name of our street was. They would whip out their phones and follow the phones around everywhere. I am old. What happens when they have no service or phone goes dead?? I am really a curmudgeon when it comes to maps.

abasket, agreed. A thread for tech questions would be great. You are the thread master!!!

This week’s list of what I feel are inadequacies for challenges at hand include:

Buying a complicated air ticket. I did it, but D told me today that google travel is the thing being used now, and after entering my destinations, she is right and I’d have had some details work out better than on Orbitz and the airline sites. I told her to yell at me next time if I don’t initially listen. I am good at travel planning but she and her H are amazing.

I took on a volunteer job posting to social media, partially to become competent in this new skill. I know the basics now, and am using twitter like the best of them, but some details still stymie me on putting together the material.

How to organize photos and documents on my computer. It takes me far to long to find things. I came into computer use sort of sideways and certain basics still elude me.

Movies, TV, sports and celebrities don’t interest me aside from the general social analysis of what is popular and why.

My mom, in her 90s, refuses to use a microwave, and does not know the first thing about computers, email or cell phones. She is fine, but I see how her world is narrowed by these deficits. As is mine in dealing with her. I don’t want to be that person myself. But perhaps am on the road far more than I know!

This. Once we “cut the cord”, my current sports knowledge dropped close to zero. I live-streamed some NCAA games and that was about it. My mother in her 80s with cable talks about tennis, football and golf and I don’t know about any of it except from her.

“. I am a paper map gal. Always studying the map before heading out for travel or sightseeing and carry a map with me. These ladies literally had no idea what the name of our street was. They would whip out their phones and follow the phones around everywhere. I am old. What happens when they have no service or phone goes dead?? “

What happens if the map is out of date or you lose the map or it’s dark out and you can’t read the map or or or…

Use the sun, moss growing on trees, and other nature-given clues to navigate! :wink:

“So it sounds like for many, the thing that they are “behind the times” on, people don’t really have a desire to catch up.”

Mine mainly fall into this camp because if I was interested or gave a rat’s ass, I would do it. As an example, I’ve totally embraced online banking and we haven’t had a checkbook in about 5 years.

For me:

I’m a luddite without a smart phone. Tech in general I’m okay with as long as I find it useful and unobtrusive. I also feel no need to connect my house to everything.

I am clueless about celebrity and gossip surrounding them. I’ve stopped watching the Emmys for example because I don’t know most of the people. If I could not hear a reference to a Kardashian ever again, that would be very nice. :slight_smile:

Newish/trendy cooking methods like sous vide and Instant Pot and their ilk. I get why people like them so much. I just don’t feel like changing my cooking habits. The Instant Pot would have been great when I was a working mom but now I’m an early retiree and and empty nester so no impetus to change.

Everything! And when my husband dies I will never be able to watch TV again so I will get even further behind. Too many clickers.

Love paper maps, too. Gotta have my road atlas on trips. I need to see the big picture.

I was just getting paper maps today at AAA, and the representative talked about how they are trying to keep the paper maps going. I use phone mapping technology just fine for the details, but my internal sense of direction is strengthened by the size and scope of paper maps. The places I like to go, wild places, do not always have wifi or data access.

Heck, a friend who works at a restaurant on the Monterey Penninsula talks about tourists showing up late as the landscape impedes phone service.

Current trends in the world of popular proper cocktails. I don’t drink these days.

I do remember the transition from my father’s era:

Manhattan’s, Old Fashioneds’ and the trusty Vodka Gimlet (with or without a sidecar). Moving to the White Russian, Captain and Coke and Tanqueray and Tonics. Then it stopped for me. I do know about Cosmos becoming the rage via the ladies on Sex and The City. My friends talk about small batch bourbons which I’ve never tried.

But what kids would order at a club these days or names for new drinks etc. I am happily out of touch. Lol.

Behind the times on too many things…popular music, celebrities (mix up the Kardashians and truly could not care less about them), popular drinks/alcohols (I rarely drink), latest cooking methods (happy with what I have) and I’m sure there’s more since I feel out of it on more than rare occasions.

On the other hand, I’ve embraced online banking (close to the best thing since sliced bread) and we got a Nest last year and the ability to control the house temp while away is incredibly helpful. But, I’m fibbing a bit bc, while I have the Nest app, I’ve never used it and don’t know how. Dh always does it. Heck, the few times I’ve had to change the temp in the house, I’ve just clicked and pushed who knows what until I achieve what I need. I’m sure it can’t be that tough but it definitely does not come to me intuitively. I think that’s the key, some of the tech stuff just doesn’t come to me intuitively. I joke with dh that he has “magic fingers” bc far too often, I’ll encounter a problem and try everything I can think of to solve it. In frustration, I’ll ask for his help and, yup, 5 seconds later, he’s solved my problem.

I still have a land line. Wow, confession feels good!

@privatebanker Manhattans and Old-fashioneds are no longer old-fashioned.