@Bromfield2 -ugh. I also hate dealing with house maintenance issues.
Woke up sore from yesterday’s strength workout. I expected that and went to my regular Wednesday morning yoga class which helped. Went to a local running store and bought 2 new pair of shoes for walking and possibly running again . The latter is aspirational. Picked up a library hold.
It’s too hot out to walk but I’m hoping it cools off a bit later because tonight is full moon yoga at the lake.
Well, went to Costco and bought some yummy melons–Tuscan plus local watermelon. They both look very good. I also bought a $3.99 Taylor Farms vegetable tray with dips. I inspected and washed the vegetables very well in running water with a splash of vinegar and then put them all in salad spinner. It was carrots, celery, broccoli and some peppers. I made one small vegetable container for my meeting tonight and one for home. One dip for each of us.
Also bought some poke and poi for S as well as a container of chicken/mushroom pot stickers that came with packets of sauce. I will heat in air fryer for quick & easy meals. All in all, I’m quite pleased with my purchases.
The Tuscan melons are so sweet, they’re almost like candy! Watermelons have been very tasty this year as well and the one I bought was VERY heavy so I think it will be nice and juicy!
Oh yeah, sent out agendas & attachments & revised last year’s script for this year, and sent it out for those attending the meeting to be able to discuss.
The view of St Pancras station from my hotel room. I’m about to meet a younger friend for coffee. My traveling friends have headed to Bath for the day. I’ll be wandering around here.
Interesting photo of nice view! Hope you have a fun day exploring. I find it tiring to be rushing to see everything and sometimes find it a lot more fun to quietly and slowly explore!
I’ve already had a day. Today is H’s bday. Long background story, but he was really looking forward to getting last year’s age done and behind him. Go to bed and told him “you made it!” At 1:15 he wakes me up - he can’t hear out of his left ear. Huh??? He does tell me he was cleaning it with a Q-tip yesterday (dumb) and felt something push in. So hopefully he just needs it irrigated or something removed. But I was awake the whole night freaking out - while H went right back to sleep. First poor sleep I’ve registered on my fitbit - which further made me anxious…
Get up and discuss where to go. He’s not setting foot in his old PCP again, and our old urgent care (we haven’t had to go in many years) is appointment only and books up ASAP. He was going to try another place. But first, we had to get my car down to be inspected before Saturday. Get there and he’s out of stickers for the month. Ugh. But while doing that, I noticed the Subaru (H’s car) expired in May! And our 3rd 23 y.o. Jeep also expires in August. It’s going to be a busy month.
H went to the other place only to find they are appointment only too, but he got an appointment at 2:30. He is also waiting for a package that he has to sign for that is supposed to be delivered between 10-2.
So blah - what a crappy day thus far. But logically I know it’s H’s bday and he’s the one with the issues, not me.
This evening we’re supposed to go to the big city to go to Costco and eat at Jimmy Johns. Real bday dinner will be Saturday.
Another lovely, cool overcast day, perfect for washing/ironing our sheets and cleaning the master bedroom. DH continues to make sawdust downstairs, and I’m going to try a new sourdough overnight pizza crust recipe for grilled pizzas tomorrow night.
The contracting company we’ve used for the last several years couldn’t get a roofing specialist to check the skylight leak until next week. My daughter’s father-in-law owns a small general store in my town and has a handyman he uses regularly. The handyman arrived early this morning with D’s father-in-law. Apparently, the skylight wasn’t the cause of the leak, it was a clogged up roof pipe. I’m still going to have the contractor bring a roofing specialist over to check out the skylight/roof pipe next week.
A rare lower humidity day so I went to the blueberry pick your own and picked some of the last of the season . I’d picked a small amount when a bee stung the fleshy part of my hand at the base of my thumb making me drop the bucket which of course fell upside down dumping out what I’d picked. I debated giving up but the hand felt ok after some massaging and I figured if I was going to have a bad reaction (I’m not allergic) it was better to be there around people than while driving 20 miles back home. I avoided the bees to pick enough for a day or two. It really was the last of the crop there. Unfortunately I didn’t know the season was early this year so I didn’t get to pick as many times as I usually do. Then I went home and did much neglected outdoor tasks. Cut the grass, trimmed things, pulled weeds. A good mid-summer yard reset. Several neighbors had also emerged from their air conditioning to do the same.
Went to a book club meeting at our public library for a book I really didn’t care for. The librarian did, though, so she waxed poetic. It didn’t change my viewpoint.
Went online to connect our new Frontier fiberoptic account with our existing Verizon account to get $15 a month off the Frontier bill. Yay me!
Morning was a load of laundry and cleaning the coffee maker with white vinegar.
Afternoon was pool time, including a few minutes of sloooow laps and ankle exercises. Husband has learned to stop asking how many laps - I go by time.
Talking of pools (yes, it was elsewhere, but here is where I swim) - our pool has a lot of water; 40’ long and 10’ deep at the deep end. There is no cover. I heated it once (to 82) around Memorial Day. It stayed about 80 through June and has been around 82 throughout July. It’s the perfect temp for me, although I have started some years just below 80. I am happy to run the heater only once!
I started the day with a workout, then we drove three hours to our cottage. We have my parents’ golf cart now, and it stopped working last year. The cottage is on an island, and there’s only one guy who will come to the island to get the cart to work on it (we don’t have a trailer for the cart). He tried and failed twice to fix it. We found a young guy a lot of people recommend, but we had to get the cart off the island - he’s cool with picking it up, but the additional time for the barge to the island is something he doesn’t want to deal with. H tied the cart to the trailer hitch on the van, and he pulled me to the barge - only one almost-mishap when the cart picked up too much speed on a downhill. We got it across, and the guy picked it up. Fingers crossed that he’ll be able to diagnose & fix the real problem.
After we successfully got the cart across, we did some chores around the cottage, then took a dip in the lake. We had to get home because I have things I have to do tomorrow morning. We took advantage of being somewhat close to our favorite fish & chips place, stopping for dinner on our way home. It was a good day.
We had a nice visit with the physiatrist (an orthopedic doctor that doesn’t do surgery). He ordered some blood tests (to rule out potential autoimmune causes for H’s ongoing trigger finger & neck pain), & continued PT for our balance issues (hey, we’re aging and balance is VERY important). Also talked with painting contractor and paid him most our the outstanding balance (reserving $1000 so he will actually make sure the job gets 100% complete). Had lunch (the watermelon was still fabulous!
Also pulled off most of the blue painters tape from a screen on front door & left the ancient, hard parts of the tape for H to remove (which he just completed). S is off at his 20th year HS reunion (where did the time fly by?)
Had a long conversation with a woman who has an autistic son who has breathing problems and autism. She just learned about our 20th anniversary educational event from her son’s sleep apnea doctor and will be coming and bringing her son.
We will probably have steak fried rice for dinner with Brussels sprouts. We are just low-keying it.
I have an H who can hear me. He might not listen to me, but he can hear me. Thankfully, the ear flushing took care of the problem. That grosses me out as much as teeth stuff, so no more shall be said.
I got to run this morning in a temp that began with a 6! It was very much appreciated. Workout was fine. Now I’m at work, but will leave at 10 to burn up my use or lose time. I’ll play piano, take a nap, eat lunch and head back. After work, H declared he would make grilled cheese and (canned) soup for dinner. Fine by me. Then Target and some move at home TBD.
Early workout, followed by early trip to dermatologist. He removed a particularly yucky keratosis from the front of my lower leg - he’ll send it to the lab to be sure , but he doesn’t think it is cancerous. I had time to come home for breakfast, and I’m leaving for absentee voter count training in a few minutes. After that, I’ll stop by early voting. Then it’s Krogering, followed by a walk in the extra warm weather (around 90 today). We’ll probably go to the park to walk in the woods. After dinner, we’ll go to a comedy show. It’s a packed day by my standards.
We already dropped off DH’s car to have the passenger-side mirror replaced. Someone had an unforced error backing up out of the garage . . . . DH dropped me off at home and took my car to go play tennis. When he’s home and cleaned up, we’re going to Costco – I need to buy food for a 13-person brunch I’m hosting on Sunday, and he needs to order new sunglasses. Then I’ll go to the gym (lower back today) and take the dog to the woods.