The pools are almost all limiting entry so there are no crowds at all.
My subdivision pool was mobbed today and yesterday. If I wanted to go, which I don’t, I wouldn’t as there were way too many people in and around the pool. There is no limiting, and I think people are bringing in friends as there has never been that many people at our pool.
That sure isn’t what is happening around here at the subdivision pools. There is a website where you can only sign up for a 2 hour time slot the morning of that day. You had to have signed a release and agree to the protocol. No guests. No chairs. No food or drink other than a water bottle. 15 minutes of cleaning between the time slots. One way entrance and exit. Check in at the gate and temperature check. Kiddie pool closed, but there is a wide very shallow area connected to the large pool.
Ours is a very large (50 meter) pool with a large deck area. It is limited to 100 total people, which feels empty, especially at the 11 to 1 time slot which must not be that popular. There are many 50 total people there. I could easily stay 20 feet away from anyone- in or out of the water.
Similar protocols at all pools (fitness swimming and social swimming) around here.
We live in a very touristy SoCal beach area. My very limited day-to-day outings have almost 100% mask and social distance compliance.
That is until today when we took out from a local place for dinner and took it to the beach to eat. Yikes! Parking was crazy and mask compliance was less than 50% on the busy sidewalks. Disappointing and not what we expected.
@aMacMom - I’m in San Diego near the beach and some areas we walk are better than others. We walked in La Jolla on Saturday and mask compliance was only about 50%, but I think it was because there were so many tourists. People without masks were not even trying to stay 6 feet away. I told H we are not walking there again unless it is early morning.
I was at Mission Beach San Diego today and almost no one on the beach had masks, although it was possible to stay at least six feet from others. Maybe a third of people on the boardwalk had masks. The Air BnB properties are clearly being rented. Lots of out-of-state license plates, plus I can tell by the way people drive that they not locals ;).
I do admit the ocean water was lovely to walk along.
Because out of state travel is so restricted, more people are doing hikes, days at the beach, horseback riding locally, etc. All the parking lots at trail heads are full early in the morning and often the rangers just close the entrances at 10 am and tell the people to come back at 3 pm.
My daughter went to climb a 14er last Saturday and the lot was full at 5:30 am. She said when they came back at 10:30, there were cars parked more than a mile from the lot so those people had to walk a mile to get to their 8 mile (up) hike.
A study by an MIT professor claims that leaving middle seats open reduces coronavirus transmission by close to 50%:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.02.20143826v2.full.pdf
We have been on Martha’s Vineyard for two weeks. It has been relatively easy to stay 12’ from others on the beach. I think about 20% are wearing masks even on the beach, and while biking or running on the local streets. The one time we’ve been in town we have seen 100% mask compliance in stores, about 50% outside, even though it is not required. We’ve felt quite comfortable, though there are a few restaurants that seem packed in. We haven’t eaten out yet (but were looking forward to it at some point) but don’t think we will based on what we’ve seen.
Our cottage is on a lake that was featured on national news for a huge sandbar party (sans social distancing or masks). We were nowhere near the party, but I think one of the neighbors was there. I don’t get close to anyone these days, so I am not worried. I am a little worried about traveling this weekend, though. H and I are driving to Augusta, GA to visit his parents. We are driving straight through, which we usually don’t do (it’s a LONG drive). I researched hotels & chose one that had reviews saying the staff strictly observed mask & social distancing rules. We got a suite so we could comfortably eat in the room - we won’t be eating in any restaurants. We will be able to visit the in laws outside, with masks & socially distanced. We are worried about making the trip, but we are more worried that we might not see FIL again if we wait too long. I hate this virus!!
I am staying in a hilton. I feel comfortable here. It looks very clean and they seem to follow the guidelines strictly.
Looking at the risk list posted earlier, I had no idea that going to a bar is higher risk than a huge 500+ indoor church gathering. Wow, people must just walk into the bar, have a couple of drinks and just start making out with everybody.
It’s a party. In a bar, you talk loud spewing out your breath like singing. You are drinking and become somewhat careless. Add your risk off mood. I knew bars will be an issue. I was surprised so many municipalities allowed them to open so quickly.
We don’t go to our pool. They are limiting the # that can go in and 2 days/week its “residents only”. Other days residents can bring a guest. But if it fills up , residents can’t get it. There are tables and chairs spread apart, and 2 pavilions - one inside the pool area and one by te tennis courts. They were both full on July 4. Haven’t been near there since. Not a mask in site, other than the 4 of us who walked down and 1 other older neighbor.
What is wrong with people?
Probably fewer than 20% of people on the Main Street of Hayward, Wisconsin had on masks today, inside or outside shops.
As expected, Hawaii kicked the tourism can down the road until September 1 (at least).
Interestingly, returning UHawaii students will be exempt from any restrictions or quarantine. Oh my… that is a recipe for disaster.
The sad part is that I wondered which lake you have a cottage on because there were a couple with a huge party on the 4th.
Good luck with the drive and visit. We are driving to my mom’s in a week or so because of the same sentiments. And she is not handling the pandemic very well. I hoped to find a time where things were a bit better, but I don’t think they are getting better. Sigh!
I wish I could feel better about things. At this point we aren’t going to visit the kid I haven’t seen since thanksgiving. She doesn’t feel it’s safe for us to make trips we don’t have to. So we wait longer.
It goes to show you no decision is purely medical. It is medical economical emotional. How much weight you attribute to each will depend. If you are comfortable financially, economical part will be less of a factor. If you have strong immune system, you may be comfortable taking some medical risk. If you need to see family members badly, that should be given considerabke weight imo. Everyone need to weigh pros and cons and come with an optimal course of action.
It is interesting that most believe that outdoor activities are such high risk. I have seen definitively reported that the GF protests thankfully did not lead to increased transmissions or spikes in the virus. I doubt many outdoor activities have folks packed together as tightly as those protests.
Also several posts back someone mentioned how their relative in a rural NC town was somewhat afraid to wear a mask, with the insinuation being they are all ignorant and hard-right leaning. From the most recent posts it seems mask-compliance is spotty all around the US…
I’ve been going to our country club pool 3x a week. Rules began with banning all guests, but now allow “immediate family members” as guests. Yesterday there were only 3 of us in the pool, but I’ve seen up to 30 at once. I am always able to keep at least 10’ from anyone. We have chairs, which occasionally get wiped down. I bring my own pen to sign in, water bottle, and towel to use to open the gate and sit on. Oh, and it’s been my observation that kids/teens cannot socially distance.