what clubs/organizations are FOBs in?

<p>not trying to be racist or anything, but i'm just curious as to how fobs meet each other outside of class. i figure it would be harder for them to meet people since they cant speak english well. unless they all meet in the same classes because i dont see how they could join clubs/organizations when they have limited english skills</p>

<p>actually..they do speak english well. i mean, you can't go to ucla without being at least fluent in english. even for engineers.</p>

<p>ok they speak english well. what i meant was that some of them have very thick asian accents and seem really socially awkward to americans (especially the way they laugh)</p>

<p>Are you an FOB? You sound like one. Not to be rude or anything.</p>

<p>
[quote]
because i dont see how they could join clubs/organizations when they have limited english skills

[/quote]
</p>

<p>TSA, HKSA, CSA, Asian church groups...</p>

<p>or any other club that has members that speak the same language</p>

<p>From what I see in engineering, they conglomerate in class and get to know other people from similar backgrounds. They don't talk to outside people that much, or even at all, unless you speak their language.</p>

<p>From outside of class ... they also have their own friends before coming to UCLA, or friends who come to UCLA with them.</p>

<p>For them get to know people, there are culture clubs which are more known as dating clubs (ACA doesn't count ... too many ABCs so not as attractive to these people). There is a huge network within the culture clubs that they join - not every club has to speak English ... </p>

<p>Plus, meeting one new friend means meeting friends of friends, at different hangouts/events. These people are probably most similar to themselves though. That is because ... to tell you the truth ... ABCs are harder to connect with ... and people of other cultures are even harder to connect with. </p>

<p>Dorming may help too, but for the type of people you are describing, most are transfer, so they probably are living in the apartments.</p>

<p>From my observation, it looks like they're mostly in TSA, HKSS, CSA, JSA.. So hard to talk with them because every time they're in class they know another student and save like a whole row for their friends. @_@</p>

<p>Pick any table on the right side of Bruin Walk, other than ACA and GOC. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>i'm not a fob but i was interested in knowing where to meet more of them since i was good friends with some at the community college i transferred from</p>

<p>why are the culture clubs more known as dating clubs? is it hard to meet them when they all know each other and when i dont understad any asian languages at all</p>

<p>
[quote]
why are the culture clubs more known as dating clubs?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>It's easy - subtract the people from the opposite sex and would you still go to events or want to get involved?</p>

<p>It's also easier to pair up people when most actives in the clubs become your friends.</p>

<p>
[quote]

is it hard to meet them when they all know each other and when i dont understad any asian languages at all

[/quote]

Yes, HKSS for sure. It becomes a clique after a while - you have to speak Chinese for sure, and must be up to date style , or else you're just ..... not part of the group . If you speak, they might invite you to events, but you might feel awkward if you've been in U.S for more than ... probably 10 years. Hardly a chance to become everyone's friend if you speak no Chinese.</p>

<p>There are a lot of borderline Asian clubs which speak half and half. And they like you if you're the typical Chinese American or ABC.</p>

<p>If you don't speak any Asian languages, ACA is a good place for you. Just if you're interested in knowing, most of the half-half Asian clubs have a bunch of easy girls ... whether that's good or bad is up to you. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>this is wut im ****ed about...why dont the fobs talk to other ppl? i mean, i understand them totally, cuz when i first came to the states back in 6th grade, i was the most fobbish kid (esp. in san diego). i mean i would wear pants up to my chest and i was a meatball back then. but i interacted to americans, i learned their ways, not saying i forgot my own ways. but when in rome, you got to do wut the romans do</p>

<p>interacted *with</p>

<p>You don't have to correct your words for me, sir. I won't judge you. ;)</p>

<p>ughhhhh...i try my best, mme-lin, especially to please you</p>

<p>To praise me, sir.</p>

<p>to praise you, my lady</p>

<p>
[quote]
</p>

<p>mean i would wear pants up to my chest and i was a meatball back then.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>
[quote]

cuz when i first came to the states back in 6th grade

[/quote]
</p>

<p>It's different - because you don't keep up with the culture. They don't consider you as "fun" unless you came during or past secondary school. It's sort of a different type of connection that I cannot explain.</p>

<p>so the aca is the best place for half-and half? would i still be able to fit in if i'm not chinese?</p>

<p>if aca is a dating club, all the more reason for me to join</p>

<p>You'll be able to fit in if you are not Chinese. Dating club? Save us some space and don't join. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>haha aca a dating club?</p>

<p>okay...lol</p>