What colleges fit this criteria, and which ones absolutely do NOT?

<p>Hey guys. So I made a list of the things that my dream college would have. For research purposes, what colleges have you heard/know fit all of the things on my list? And which ones don't, so I'll know to avoid them?</p>

<p>In my dream college I would prefer....</p>

<p>-Located in a warm region of the country
-Located in a large city (and I don't mean CLOSE TO. I will accept 'close to' if it is under a 10 minute drive, but no more than 10-15 minutes please. Nothing like...oh it's only a half hour/ an hour away!)
-Small student-to-teacher ratio
-Small class sizes
-No TAs teaching!
-A low-pressure environment that is collaborative not competitive (however, considering I want a top school and most top schools are pretty high-pressure...this one I would be willing to overlook)
-A campus that is pretty. I don't want to walk to class every day and be like "Dang this sht is fuglyyyy"
-Amazing library/library system please! :)
-I do want somewhere that is known for being quite rigorous or known academically. I guess you could call this prestige.
-I want to do pre-med but with a major along the lines of creative writing. So some place that is strong in both of those departments.
-I would prefer at least a mid-sized college. A place where I would know a lot of people, but not go outside and know every freakin' student.</p>

<p>I know this is a lot to ask for...but anybody know any unis remotely close to this?</p>

<p>Rice University is the first college that comes to mind. It is right in Houston, small class sizes, very strong academically and has a pretty campus.</p>

<p>I second Rice. Vanderbilt also comes to mind.</p>

<p>Ah I'm excited people that are responding :) Doesn't Vanderbilt have quite a small student population, however?</p>

<p>EDIT: Nvm I just googled it...haha Vanderbilt is a good size, too, thanks :p</p>

<p>Anyone else?</p>

<p>30 views and only 3 responses? Any comment at all is much appreciated guys :)</p>

<p>Georgetown?</p>

<p>I gotta put a plug in for my son's school: Wake Forest.</p>

<p>There's a college search forum for this, but yeah.
Dang, I can't think of any right now.</p>

<p>Emory, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Rice, University of Tampa, Tulane, Belmont, University of San Diego, University of Miami, etc. Emory sounds like the best of those though.</p>

<p>I would say Emory :p, but I don't go there (yet), so I don't know the environment.</p>

<p>I live near Emory and it's hot as hell. So, as a warning, it gets really, REALLY hot. I don't bother going outside for long periods of time, in fear of dying from heat stroke.</p>

<p>Loyola Marymount, TCU, Emory, U San Francisco, SMU</p>

<p>What is your budget?</p>

<p>Oh, thanks MIT :p I also posted this in college search now.</p>

<p>Any colleges I should watch out for and not waste my time applying to?</p>

<p>Budget is not an issue. I have discussed this with my parents, and while they would appreciate a scholarship, if I don't get one they would dish out the money necessary for me to get the best education possible.</p>

<p>Hmm.. what constitutes mid size for you?</p>

<p>Somewhere around 6 thousand? Maybe more if the school isn't undergrad only, but around 6k undergrads.</p>

<p>College</a> Search & Selection - College Confidential</p>

<p>^ Matt, I already said there was another forum for this.</p>

<p>If we're thinking top as in Ivy I would say Dartmouth.</p>

<p>She said in a city. Neither Dartmouth nor Wake are in major cities, and Dartmouth is anything but warm weather.</p>

<p>Loyola Marymount, TCU, Emory, U San Francisco, SMU were mentioned, but none of these except for Emory are in the top 50 I don't think, so might not meet your criteria for being known as academically high level. Emory is very high level, not sure how cooperative vs. cutthroat the premed is. Not even implying it is cutthroat, I just don't know.</p>

<p>USC qualifies, although it is a bit larger than your specify, as is Miami of Florida. I also don't know for 100% sure they don't have any classes with TA's teaching. Maybe someone can shed light on that. For everything you mention Rice, Tulane and Emory seem like the best fits.</p>

<p>Yes, Rice, Tulane, Emory, and Vandy seem like my faves so far :D</p>

<p>And Georgetown! However, my sister went to G-Town for Poli Sci, and my mother doesn't think it'd be a good fit for me. (and, to be quite honest, my family is one of those in which my parent's opinions weigh very, very heavily on the decisions I make..)</p>

<p>Gtown not really known for writing anyway. For that I would have to say Vandy and Tulane lead the way.</p>

<p>how about WashU? It's kind of suburban, not exactly the warmest place, but the campus is supposed to be really nice and it's great for pre-med.</p>

<p>Love Rice :D!</p>