D told me she is taking off work on Mother’s day. (she works with newborn babies) I am thrilled. My daughter loves to paint. I asked that sometime in the next few weeks if possible to create a new scenic painting for me. I ordered two target beauty boxes to treat myself today so they should be coming in a few days. I also requested that we go for a walk early morning at our local botanical gardens. If not then we can go to the new farmer’s market that just opened near us.
I ran into DIL at the flower store picking out my gift 
What I’d really like is an hour with my mom who passed away in 1978.
What I’ll get is a couple of cards and phone calls which I’ll enjoy, and some time with extended family because we’re attending a cousin’s celebration (unfortunately none of my kids will be able to attend).
I got a great mug last year from my step son that said something like “You’re not technically my mom, but without you I’d probably be in jail”
Younger s’s birthday is right at Mother’s day, so we play the “what do you want— no what do YOU want” game. We both struggled and decided on tickets to some local event in our locales across country from each other. I picked a show that will be here briefly; he picked a baseball game. (his local team playing our home team) and he was able to get GREAT seats for himself and his wife.
Older s is on vacation (home soon). His birthday is near mine (both near father’s day) so we also do this dance. He may have gotten something while on vacation— don’t know. But if he asks— what I want is (and its quite minor) bridge bidding boxes.
DH is having me join him at a conference and attend a Lady Gaga concert! We will stay a few days longer and enjoy the sun.
My kids are 600, 800, and 2,000 miles away. I give my husband credit for always getting me a card and taking me out for brunch. This year we’re also going to a hockey game with one of his customers. Good thing I like hockey.
My husband and I just flew from Asia to Massachusetts to attend our daughter’s college graduation on Saturday. We’ll get to meet her boyfriend’s mother and spend time with his Dad who we have met before. And the four of us will be sending them off on Sunday to their graduate school adventures. I really can’t think of a better way to spend Mother’s Day weekend. I’m a Mom because of that amazing girl!
I’m getting to spend the day with my mom for the last time - in a super nice cottage right at the edge of the St Lawrence River. H and middle son will be with us (Mother’s Day is also his B-day this year).
I’m hoping mom will have a good day. It’d be nice if the weather cooperated, but that’s not critical.
I don’t need anything else. I told the guys to just get us some sort of nice flowers (living, not cut) as mom doesn’t need any sort of other gift and I don’t want one when there really isn’t anything otherwise for her.
Well, what I’d like is for that day to last an extra long time, but that won’t happen (sigh). Nonetheless, she was told at the beginning of 2017 that she wouldn’t live out the year and it’s Mother’s Day of 2019 so I’ve already gotten a bonus. There won’t be a 2020 though so this one will be bittersweet.
I’d love to get nice cards … but probably won’t . (I really can’t complain - usually the 2 kids collaborate on a thoughtful, joint gift card and a skype video call to include the one that lives 2000 miles away. It does make me feel a little guilty because DH has a birthday the next week, and he’d get more attention if it was not also in May.)
I never want an actual thing, but if we’re going out to eat, I want NOT to have to plan it. Didn’t actually happen this year, because I was consulted several times, but it was funny and cute, not annoying. And my son, who can’t be there, sent me flowers, which was such a nice surprise! And his note said “I wish I could be there for Lobster Ravioli”, a reference to a disastrous (but fun) Mothers Day in a “Restaurant Nightmare” kind of place. I’m already happy.
Youngest sent me a nice set of tea. The other two are local and coming over to make me brunch. Being together is the best present. I love having at least some of my kids close by.
When they were young I used to tell them is all I wanted was one day with no bickering. They always told me to ask for something easier for them to get me.
Like @HotCanary I want to be the one to not do the planning.
ChoatieLT surprised us and got a pass to come home for five days. He arrived Friday night. Best Mother’s Day ever!
I just got a lovely FaceTime call from my daughter, who is in London working on her required junior project. She’s planning fun things for us to do together when I get over there in about 6 weeks. And she is happy and making the most of her time abroad. That’s all the Mother’s day blessings I could ask for!
(TBH,I’ve never been a fan of these “Hallmark holidays”… although Mother’s Day was always a big deal to my mom, so we always tried to celebrate it with hoopla for her benefit. What matters to me is that I have a great relationship with my kid every day. The whole idea of a “day” once a year doesn’t appeal to me!)
Just sent med school lad back to med school. Other than not seeing the sun, it’s been a great Mother’s Day/his Birthday with food, fellowship, a call from youngest son (who had to work, so couldn’t come) and some fun Rook games. Thank you Grand Pumba of the Universe.
My D came home for the weekend and is actually helping me clear out bathrooms and closets to get ready for fumigation and a remodel. She is actually helping instead of staring at her phone!!! Will wonders never cease 
D and her husband came for the weekend. SIL helped H with a home project. D helped me with errands. This morning she had a beautiful card for me that she’d ordered from an Instagram account I follow (dog related of course) and a cookbook I wanted but hadn’t mentioned to anyone. She knows me better than anyone!
My daughter sent me two photos of her with her new boyfriend, her first one ever. One of the pictures was modeled after a photo of DH and me in Paris taken when I was not much older than she. 
Middle son called from Lebanon and we had a wonderful conversation. Then I drove to my oldest son’s apartment and took him out for lunch and Dairy Queen.
Now DH is starting to cook a steak dinner for me.
It’s been a good day.
I got flowers from D2! Totally unexpected and totally soaked after sitting on the front porch for 24 hours in a rainstorm. she shouldn’t have spent the money, but I’m really touched by her thoughtfulness.
Video chatted with both S1 and S2 today. S1 may join us on our vacation this summer (first time in years!) and S2 is thinking about coming home for a visit over winter break (which makes me think he may stay overseas longer, but that’s ok). He’s been in a former Eastern bloc country for over a year.
DH took me out for dinner. Great day!
Talked to S1, DIL and GD on the phone this morning. They sent a gift and card that arrived yesterday. S2 came over and we (including DH who paid) went out to lunch. He brought me flowers, which was a gesture I’d never have expected from him. It was the first time in 10 or 11 years I actually spent any part of Mother’s Day with him. It felt nice to spend Mother’s Day with someone other than just DH. It was also the first Mother’s Day in a long time I didn’t spend with my mother. I moved last fall, but I’ll see her in 2 weeks.