What I Love About Voting...

<p>Can't really share the sentiments about hating voting on the other thread, so thought I would start my own. </p>

<ul>
<li>Like the little "I Voted" sticker I get when my ballot is slurped into the automatic vote counting machine.</li>
<li>Enjoy running into people I know who are voting or acting as election judges</li>
<li>Love the feeling that I have a voice in the choices of elected officials and things like school levys. Even if it is just one vote, it is MY vote.</li>
<li>Like taking my kids with me. Oldest was THRILLED to turn 18 and vote for the first time, youngest is crabby that she will not be old enough next fall.</li>
</ul>

<p>I also love voting, don't think I have ever missed an election. Although I no longer get the thrill of getting the sticker and handing over the ballot because I vote by mail exclusively, I love the process of going through the ballot and making my decision.</p>

<p>My husband and I joke that we were made for each other because we love to read the voters guide together! Even though we are of different political parties, we both enjoy the process and our lively discussions!</p>

<p>I love when my guys win. (And it was landslides for the two I cared about most tonight.) Even one of the county legislators where I'd have been okay with the "wrong" side, (she's smart and hardworking), seems to be losing a tight race.</p>

<p>I just love voting; have never voted by mail, and have missed only one election in the last 25 years. I always vote first thing in the morning, and proudly wear my sticker for the rest of the day. :)</p>

<p>I always have a really special feeling when I wake up on Election Day. For months (or years!), EVERYONE has yammered -- the candidates, the handlers, the reporters, the pundits, the advertisements. The cacophony invades my TV, my radio, my internet, my newspaper, my telephone, my mailbox. And then on Election Morning, they finally fall silent and the quiet tidal wave begins. Beginning at 12:01 in Dixon Notch, NH, the wave rolls across the continent as millions upon millions of ordinary Americans choose their leaders. The only people who matter are finally having their say, and it's done so quietly, in the sacred privacy of the voting booth.</p>

<p>(mathmom, I'm celebrating tonight too)</p>

<p>No local elections for me today but still some things to celebrate in other parts of the country so it's a good night.</p>

<p>I always vote. This year we had 2 items on the ballot. By the time my husband I showed up we were number 79 and 80 and it was 4:30 PM. </p>

<p>Oh yeah, the 1 item I voted for one by a large margin. My vote counted! </p>

<p>My daughter is a poll worker (nice little 1 time job for pocket change). She was stationed at one of the 3 precincts in our voting location. When she got home, she said a total of 30 people had voted in her precinct.</p>

<p>I think the cost of the election outweighed the election itself. It is probably time to rethink the odd year elections. A lot of people got paid to sit around for this particular election. For the record, I'm signing up for absentee balloting from now on.</p>

<p>I absolutely love voting. I have felt this way ever since I was in high school, and traveled to Spain while it was still under Franco's rule. In a bar one night, one of the people asked me if it was really true that we can vote in America, and is it true that no one tells us who we have to vote for. Nothing brought home to me more than that question, just how precious my right to vote is.</p>

<p>I love voting for all of the reasons cited above, and never miss one. I haven't used an absentee ballot since college: I love going to the polling place.</p>

<p>When my S was about 4, he used to hide behind the living room curtains and say he was "voting"! :D</p>

<p>I am proud to exercise my right to vote. I feel that I have a voice, fulfill my duty and make a contribution to the causes I believe in.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Can't really share the sentiments about hating voting on the other thread...

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I do not think people posting on that thread hate voting... they just do not like to be beaten and attacked by placard-wielding mob or bombarded with TV ads. :)</p>

<p>Voting by mail has its advantages... just like e-shopping. DH and I have a little voting party the day before: I place some flowers and a little flag in the vase on the dining table, spread out pamphlets and turn on the kitchen laptop (in case we need more information about an obscure candidate), and we vote. When the envelopes are sealed and signed, we have a little wine-and-cheese celebration. I wish we could get the stickers to wear to work the next day... Oh, I have an idea! I'm sure someone sells reusable "I Voted" buttons :)</p>

<p>Love voting. I haven't missed voting in a primary or general election since 1976. My DS called me yesterday from school to tell me he voted for the first time (just turned 18 in Aug.) I'm a very proud mama.</p>

<p>Consolation, when D was little, I used to hand her off to one of the poll workers, who would help her "vote" a sample ballot. She loved it.</p>

<p>I love voting and rarely miss an election. I have never gotten a sticker though...
Always took my kids with me when they were little and let them pull the levers.</p>

<p>My oldest voted this year, her first, by absentee ballot. She voted while on the phone with me, so I got to be with her and hear her thought process.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Like the little "I Voted" sticker I get when my ballot is slurped into the automatic vote counting machine.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>... you vote on paper? </p>

<p>I always vote... many people around the world cannot, and it is something that we take for granted here.</p>

<p>I miss our old voting machines, where you'd pull the big lever and the curtain would shut and you'd feel like the Great and Powerful Oz for a minute. Now, we vote on scantrons and I feel like I'm at the SAT.</p>

<p>I remember my parents taking me to vote since I was small. I remember my first election - I voted for a relative unknown, who lost the NYC mayoral race to Ed Koch. The unknown was Mario Cuomo.</p>

<p>I love that my 21 year old son, who forgot to change his registration when he moved, actually drove back to town after work to vote.</p>

<p>The right to vote is so important. I have one friend, an educated woman, who never votes and it would upset me more if I didn't know that her vote would be opposite of mine.</p>

<p>Yes, we vote on paper. We fill in circular bubbles with black pens, and then take it to a machine that you stick the top of the ballot into. As I said, it "slurps" the ballot into the machine and counts it automatically. That way the paper ballots are available if a recount is needed. I live in Minnesota -- we have had quite a bit of practice at recounting between our congressional and governors races in the past few years! So the paper ballot is handy sometimes.</p>

<p>I live in Maine, and we have the same paper ballots and counting machines. I think it's great.</p>

<p>My son is in Maine and he told me he had to draw lines between the candidate and office - or something like that. He didn't have to fill in any bubbles and I asked since we went to the fill in the bubble machine in my county in NY last year. </p>

<p>He also said none of the candidates had their party designation on the ballot.</p>

<p>I love voting! Boy, was I crabby in 1992 when I was six months too young to vote in the presidential election. It made me livid when adults couldn't be bothered about it or claimed there was no difference between the candidates (I mean, Supreme Court selections? Very different!). This attitude still irritates me nowadays, but back in the day when I couldn't vote, I was really enraged. I thought, every adult citizen who doesn't give a crap should find a child who does and let the child pick! The government affects me just as much as you.</p>

<p>I love to vote! </p>

<p>Sadly, only one of the people I voted for this time actually won. But I have always felt that if you don't vote, you shouldn't complain about the people in office. I voted so I get to complain. ( But seriously, I hope that the people who won do a decent job and that I am pleasantly surprised).</p>