what is the best school for the socially awkward

<p>i am curious as to see which schools are most conducive(meaning that the majority of the students are socially different from your standard college "lets party attitude") to the socially awkward student.</p>

<p>People that do nothing but study, and never go outside unless they need to go to the library or to class.</p>

<p>my top 5 from college visits:</p>

<ol>
<li>university of chicago</li>
<li>MIT</li>
<li>Wesleyan University</li>
<li>RPI</li>
<li>WPI (worcester polytechnic institute)</li>
</ol>

<p>I've heard from RPI that the guys are either cool and relaxed fellows or crazy socially odd and hiding behind computers (a girl told me she asked a guy for directions and he hyperventilated and ran away)</p>

<p>believe it or not, it happens. Happened to me in 7th grade.</p>

<p>that's 7th grade, boys are never normal in 7th grade, but this was in college!</p>

<p>good thing I didn't go to RPI :)</p>

<p>Socially awkward student? You mean those students that pay more attention to their electronic devices than to the person they are supposedly having a conversation with? Or perhaps you mean students that can't be bothered to say "thank you", "please", etc. Or is it the guy seated behind you tapping away on his laptop while you are trying to listen to the lecturer in front of you?</p>

<p>I find it hard to believe a person is so socially inept they would run away when another person asks them for directions. That kind of person would probably not be in any kind of social environment.</p>

<p>I consider myself "socially awkward," though I do not behave in the manner described in a few posts above. If you want quirky people, then I'd say University of Chicago. It has an awesome, out-of-the-closet intellectual vibe, and people are unafraid of flaunting their obscurantism. </p>

<p>As you can tell, I am besotted by the school. Still. :(</p>

<p>I think it was because she was a girl? she said he was just in the library alone and she was wondering around lost and just asked but he started breathing hard and asking why she was asking him and then he ran off</p>

<p>and then the others girls there had stories about the guys acting odd, like staring at you or just freaking, but that schools ratio is 30:70 girls to guys and they told me half the guys are normal, half are weird and the ratio evens out.</p>

<p>^Oh my goodness! Okay, I do not act in that way at all - I guess I have achieved a measure of normalcy from my awkward days in the seventh grade.</p>

<p>And I cannot believe that CalTech has not come up in a thread pertaining to social awkwardness. It's practically a given! :)</p>

<p>Also, probably Georgia Tech or Carnegie Mellon</p>

<p>^I disagree with Georgia Tech. That will never happen at a public university.</p>

<p>^How are you so sure? Georgia Tech is mostly an engineering/hard science school, so Im guessing it is harder than your typical state school.</p>

<p>(I just mentioned Gtech because Ive heard stories of how extremely difficult it is there. Maybe I could be wrong?...)</p>

<p>How am I sure? what about all the greek life houses on campus :)</p>

<p>Oh yeah, I forgot about that lol. Ok OP, cross out GTech, what about Harvey Mudd?</p>

<p>CMU should be numero uno.</p>

<p>enginox by your standards 90% of college students are socially awkward</p>

<p>Where's Caltech on the list?</p>

<p>^Haha, I made that point several posts ago. :p</p>

<p>UChicago, CalTech, MIT, Harvard, RPI, Harvey Mudd, CMU, Oberlin, Reed, BJU, PCC, and most schools that bill themselves as "quirky," engineering focused, or Evangelical.</p>

<p>RPI is definitely a nerd school hahaha. My brother goes there, and one of his old roommates used to ogle me like he'd never seen a girl before in his life. His current roommates also never venture outside, and have no common sense or social skills, at all. (My brother did an experiment...it took them 2 weeks to realize they were out of toilet paper.)</p>

<p>MIT is surprisingly social. They have the highest STD rate of any college in the country, and they're pretty big on frats.</p>

<p>WPI is similar to RPI, but not to the same extent.</p>