what liberal arts colleges provide generous aids?

<p>Since I was unsure about my SAT plans, I joined Symbiosis Law School Noida.. Earlier my plans were to go for law through the CLAT exam. Unfortunately, I couldn't get through a National Law School, so I joined this place.
I don't like it here, and I am steadfast about my decision for SAT and applying to colleges abroad. I need a pragmatic point of view.</p>

<p>I have decided to take a drop and fully prepare for the SAT's and college apps this year. Will be giving my exam this October. I do not have an outstanding academic background also my EC's aren't upto the level which are required for colleges in the States. But I am serious about my applications and I am going full throttle about the SAT preparation.
Should I take a drop and go for it? Or should I stay here and study side by side? I am unable to give my 100% for the preparation in the hostel though.. Also, do I stand of getting a need based aid in a "good" college if my SAT score and apps go well? </p>

<p>and what liberal arts colleges would provide a generous aid? Any suggestions where I should apply to?</p>

<p>Please help.
Thanks so much!!</p>

<p>Try this link</p>

<p>International</a> Financial Aid Resources and Information</p>

<p>Thanks!! :)</p>


<p>You will be classified as a 'transfer' student, since you're already enrolled in college. This pretty much means you do not qualify for aid in most colleges. What you need to do is write to the colleges you're considering, and ask them what they would consider you to be (first year or transfer) because even in generous colleges, only first years generally qualify for aid. Maybe talk to a college councilor about your case, and ask them for advice. </p>

<p>But I'm curious - since you're studying Indian law, how will you continue that in the US? Do you want to do International Law? Either way, undergraduates in the US only do 'pre-law' which basically means you can study whatever you want as long as you fulfill certain basic requirements. Actual law school is a postgraduate degree in the US. </p>

<p>Good luck :)</p>

<p>I have left the college, I took a drop. This year I'll be preparing for the SAT's. Therefore, I will be applying as a first year student and not a transfer student. I just attended one month of this law school. I don't think I'll have to apply as a transfer student.. or do I? </p>

<p>No, I won't be considering pre law because for that, I'd have to give the L-SAT exam.. And I won't be doing that. Yeah I would want to pursue law as a postgraduate degree. Right now, I am focussing on subjects like psychology, economics and philosophy.. </p>

<p>The Liberal Arts colleges grant generous aids on the basis of the SAT and the SAT subject scores right? I just wanted guidance on what liberal arts colleges do I apply to, the ones which provide need based aid.. </p>

<p>Thank you so much!! :)</p>

<p>First, make sure you are indeed considered a first year and not a transfer by writing to the colleges and/or talking to a councilor. The application process for the two is different, so you need to know straight away. And I doubt the top LAC's give generous aid based on SAT scores - pretty much everyone gets stellar scores to get in anyway. </p>

<p>Like I've said to you on a previous thread, there are two types of aid - merit and need based. Need based aid > amount of money than merit based aid, but applying for need based aid (a) reduces your chances of admission and (b) means that you need to qualify for the aid by submitting your family's finances (i.e. your family should genuinely not be able to afford the fees.)</p>

<p>Anyone can apply for merit based aid on the other hand, and it doesn't hurt your chances, but it's generally less for stuff like SAT scores and more for extraordinarily talented/all-round applicants whom they want to attract to their school over others with a nice little financial pack.</p>

<p>Which category do you want to apply for? (Merit or need)</p>

<p>Plus, by the way, pre-law does NOT need L-SAT. L-SAT's only for grad school. That's because pre-law isn't a subject or a particular course - it's just a bunch of requirements you need to fulfill to qualify for grad school in law. So you can still take your classes in economics and whatever else; pre-law just refers to courses taken with the intent of studying law later on... Although there are no official pre-law requirements, different post grad schools have different conditions on what kind of classes applicants should have taken as an undergraduate, but eco and psych etc sound like the stuff they expect anyhow.</p>


<p>You wouldn't be considered a transfer student since:
1. You haven't/will not have completed a year of college-level courses;
2. More importantly, you will not require credits to be transferred/ are applying for a 4-year undergraduate degree.</p>

<p>oh thank you so much for the info! I will be applying for a need based aid. </p>

<p>For European college of liberal arts, Berlin, does one have to give TOFEL? </p>

<p>@Indian93, Thanks!! That is really a relief to hear that..</p>