Whatever happened to ...?

<p>I remember a few years ago reading about an Asian kid who thought he was stereotyped because of his race and wasn't offered an athletic scholarship. Sure the kid played on the state championship basketball team, beating the number one ranked school in country. I think he may have been named by several publications as California State High School Player of the Year. But when you want to play for Stanford, UCLA, or Cal good stats just make you competitive. Coaches at this level don't just look at stats but look at the whole person. Maybe he was just a grind, spending endless hours working on his cross over. I also read that his father taught him basketball at a young age. A kid who is pushed by a parent may produce some success in highschool but doesn't mean they'll have the kind of talent to become a real success in college and later. It is well known that Asians underperform in basketball in their later carreers compared to their numbers in college (Asians make up 0.5% of division 1 college basketball players but far less in in the NBA.) Finally since this person was only offered a spot on the basketball team at two Ivy League schools, Harvard and Brown. Now the Ivy League is one of the worst Division I leagues in in the country in basketball and Harvard where he ended up has been one of the worst Ivy League teams over the last 60 years. That 6 of the Ivies didn't want this kid only confirms the judgement of the other coaches. As a followup, 4 years later this player was left undrafted by the NBA, further confirming that he just doesn't have what it takes.</p>

<p>By the way, does anyone know what this guy is doing now?</p>

<p>Ha-ha-ha. Slightly trollish, but J-Lin's skyrocketing career merits a little gloating.</p>

<p>playing for the Knicks.
<a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/10/sports/basketball/jeremy-lins-success-with-knicks-surprises-everyone.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=jeremy%20lin&st=cse%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/10/sports/basketball/jeremy-lins-success-with-knicks-surprises-everyone.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=jeremy%20lin&st=cse&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Wall Street Journal article about him today! Awesome.</p>

<p>Obsessed with this story.....it's all over the New York press this week.......</p>

<p>Let's see what happens against the Lakers though........</p>

<p>I have to point out, he wasn't good enough to make it with our local stellar NBA organization as well. So many failures for such a young man!</p>

<p>Shaping up to be a great story. Hope he has staying power.</p>

<p>I feel a kinship because he is American-born Taiwanese and I am Taiwanese-born American...too bad I quit playing ball in 10th grade ;)</p>

<p>The Taiwanese press is giving him lots of love, too.</p>

<p>three cheers for the local kid who made it to the big time!! hip hip hurray!!!</p>

<p>LOL, watching him play the Lakers right now!</p>

<p>38 points. Wow</p>

<p>
[quote]
Let's see what happens against the Lakers though........

[/quote]
</p>

<p>guess he did ok, heh. I don't really like the NBA... but I like underdogs. Sleeping in his brother's apartment on a couch. Wonder how many other NBA players do that? lol</p>

<p>What a performance !!!</p>

<p>absolutely amazing!</p>

<p>This is the Knicks' first win over the Lakers since February 2007.</p>

<p>what a couple of weeks New Yorkers have had!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>Getting a new t-shirt with the slogan, "I'm with Lin!"</p>

<p>Why do you think this is big news? It is uncommon</p>

<p>Linsanity!! He is trending on Twitter!!! I was surprised he didn't catch on better at Golden State with the large potential Asian fan base. I started following him his last year at Harvard when a local product (still playing at H) joined the team.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Getting a new t-shirt with the slogan, "I'm with Lin!"

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Actually, I think this one might catch on. Just saw a tshirt emblazoned: (sorry Charlie)</p>

<p>** LINNING ! **</p>

<p>It's big news in NY because the Knicks are finally winning and this kid is doing it all!
I was in Shanghai in December and Kobe Bryant's face was all over the place. With Yao Ming retired, Lin will be on top!</p>