where did your 3.1 kid get in?

<p>I'm a current high school senior with a bit of a crazy high school career. My freshmen grades were pretty meh, my sophomore grades were terrible, my junior grades were pretty good, and my senior grades are phenomenal. A lot of this had to do with undiagnosed medical conditions and a not-so-terrific grade school through middle school education. My grades have a terrific upward trend, I've elected to take difficult classes as a junior and senior, have strong extra curric participation all of high school in a consistent manner that reflects my interests, and a pretty good ACT - super scored it's a 30 and I have a perfect score on the reading section, a 34 on the english section, and an 11 on the writing section. I want to double major in english and political science and am also submitting an arts supplement to all my schools and a very nice creative writing portfolio that is essentially the culmination of my entire high school career. It took me awhile to figure things out in high school, what I loved and how I could go about pursuing it, but when I did, things totally clicked. Great grades, great teacher recommendations, hard classes, huge commitment to extra currics and a lot of success to show for it. I'm also a Native American - member of the Brule Sioux tribe of South Dakota. I'm curious as to what I should expect for college. What happened with any of your children who might have shared some of these characteristics? Where should I aim my expectations? Any stories or feedback would be great :)</p>

<p>You will find helpful info in a thread titled
Colleges for the Jewish "B" student</p>

<p>Another is called
Best colleges for a B student</p>

<p>Also check out these threads:</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/939935-3-0-3-3-gpa-parents-thread-2012-hs-graduation.html?highlight=western%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/939935-3-0-3-3-gpa-parents-thread-2012-hs-graduation.html?highlight=western&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/907349-western-schools-3-0-3-3-kid.html?highlight=western%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/907349-western-schools-3-0-3-3-kid.html?highlight=western&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Important question: finances. Will you require financial aid? With your high stats* and URM (under represented minority) status you could get into many good schools. Do you want a big or small school? Liberal arts college or university? Any particular part of the country? </p>

<p>One place to check out is University of Montana in Missoula. I mention this, because it's a public school that does give merit $ and financial aid to out-of-state students (most publics don't.) Also, there are quite a bit Native Americans studying in Montana. And it's a nice campus in a very nice little college town. </p>

<p>*Is the 11 on the ACT writing section a typo?</p>

<p>the act writing section is out of 12, and the 11 is not a typo. i am definitely very proud of my english, reading, and writing scores on that silly test haha.
im basically 100% focused on liberal arts colleges. one thing ive learned over senior year is that im a kid who function best when im in a small environment filled with really bright people that are highly motivated - it definitely brings out the best in me as a student. financial aid is for now, a non issue. the number one goal at this point is getting into a good college where ill have a great four years, both academically (law school is a final goal, and i want to do as well in college as ive done this semester and have a shot at the best law schools) and socially. im interested in making lasting friendships in colleges and finally enjoying myself while having all the fulfillment through learning and freedom to pursue my ideas that drove me to college the most.</p>

<p>I'm puzzled by your statement that financial aid is a "non issue for now". What does that mean? Will you need financial aid to attend college?</p>

<p>There are over 3,000 colleges and universities in the US. Without knowing how much you can afford, and what part of the country you want to focus on, it'll be very difficult to advise you. BTW, congrats on those scores, INCLUDING that 11 on the ACT :)</p>

<p>I second katliamom's suggestions in post #3 regarding the other threads to check out. We scrolled through them months ago and found several good ideas for our hs sr son. There are LISTS of colleges with observations from parents & students. My son had given his choice much thought and decided he wanted a smaller rather than larger, more liberal arts college not in a huge city and "weather" (as we come from So Cal) amongst other things. He applied to 6 schools, 4 of them early action and has been accepted to 3 at this point. One of them is Northern Arizona University (NAU) and he loved it when we toured. There were a few that really impressed him. He applied to some in-state universities and several out-of-state...2 of them privates. He still has not 100% decided, but has a few front runners.</p>

<p>You are doing the right thing at this point in starting to formulate what type of college experience you want. If you keep doing what you're doing academically and start poking around on-line at posibilities. You will be amazed at how a list of prospective schools becomes a reality. Also go to the college nights your hs or other local hs's will start having in early fall. Visit any campus you can. It truly helps to take a few tours and get a feel for the school... Best wishes for your search.</p>

<p>oops - sorry op. I reread and originally thought you were a jr. If you are a hs sr...you need to hop to it application-wise.</p>

<p>My ACT composite super scored is a 30... not an 11.</p>

<p>I do have a list together, but I'm curious about where other kids with similar stats and possibly similar situations got in. Obviously this is one of the most competitive years on records so things will be more difficult, but I do want to know at least what to expect. I'm not changing what schools I'm applying to, but I should know where my expectations ought to lie, and I haven't gotten a straight answer on that from counselors or peers because I'm a wild card applicant. At this point, my top three are Bard, Reed, and St. John's, but I also quite like Seattle University (fantastic English program with all kinds of great perks for its students), Willamette, and Kalamazoo.</p>

<p>My daughter's first choice was originally Reed but we had to cross them off the list because they didn't offer any merit scholarships. I checked their web-site. They have a office recruiting URM but didn't indicate any scholarships. Run their net price calculator to give you an idea of the cost.</p>

<p>You have a lot of great options. Any hints:</p>

<ol>
<li> size of school?</li>
<li> region of country (close to home or any max distance)?</li>
<li> cold weather / warm weather?</li>
<li> urban / rural?</li>
</ol>

<p>I'm sure you will get a lot of great suggestions.</p>

<p>Yeah, I'm kinda bummed about the financial aid at Reed. We have enough money in savings that aid isn't make or break, so I'm pretty lucky in that regard. I'm a bit scared about Reed though and I'm not counting on it at all. Just got my first college response - rejected, Kalamazoo. It's to be expected, my materials didn't get in on time because my college counselor wasn't properly notified, I didn't interview, and they had an older copy of my transcript that put my gpa at a 2.77. I don't know if it's alright to feel this serene about it. I did like Kalamazoo a lot, but for some reason I'm not really bothered. Just hoping on the regular decisions and the schools that have the updated copy of my transcript.</p>