Will Failing Dual Enrollment Affect Me?

I’m not doing good in my dual enrollment art class (long story). will this affect me? If I fail do I have to report it to the universities.
I’m applying to mainly UCs and Cal Poly

Yes, failing a DE class will likely affect you in college admissions and you will have to report it to the colleges you apply/applied to. What is your grade right now? Is there anything you can do to get that up to a C?

Are you a senior?

I’ll let @gumbymom handle how it works at UCs and CSPLO (I assume san luis obispo and not pomona).

yes it will. Especially since DE classes are considered less than AP.

Considered less than AP? Says who? I know someone who got into Harvard with not a single AP but loads of Dual credit from a community college.

UCs and CSUs require frosh applicants to report college courses and grades. Those taken while in 10th-11th grade of high school will be included in the recalculated GPA (transferable courses with C or higher grades will get honors points).

You can look up the courses under the college name at https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/agcourselist .

Depends on the specific courses. For example, precalculus or college algebra will be seen as less than AP calculus AB or BC, but multivariable calculus, linear algebra, or differential equations are more advanced courses than AP calculus AB or BC.

As stated above, if the Art course is UC/CSU transferable, it will have to reported.

If you are a Senior and are accepted to a CSU/UC, you admission is provisional meaning you need to meet GPA and grade requirements to maintain your acceptance.

Any a-g course requirement including DE courses that you do not pass with a C- or higher is grounds for rescinding your acceptance.

Senior HS applicants need to report any D or F received to the UC’s.

For the UC’s:
If there are changes to your academic record: If you add or drop a course, fail to earn a C or better in a course or enroll in a new college after you submit your application, log back in and update your information online. If you receive an offer of admission, be sure to confirm with the campus admission office that they are aware of the deficient grade or schedule changes.

Keep in mind: We cannot guarantee that a campus can go back to review an application after correspondence has been received. Make sure to save a copy of your correspondence just in case.

For Cal Poly: You need to email admissions regarding your grade as soon it is posted.

Being proactive is the best course of action since if you wait until final transcripts are due upon enrolling, it can give a reason for rescinding your acceptance. If you do fail, the best course of action would be repeat next semester. This would also give you some leverage with the UC’s and Cal Poly showing you are trying to remedy the situation.

If you are not a Senior, the class/grade will be on your college record and it will still have to reported on the UC application and if you repeat the course then the new grade will override the old grade. For the CSU application, you only need to report the repeat grade.

Thank you. Yes, I am a senior. Would it still be grounds for rescinding my acceptance even if I have already filled that requirement? Like this is Film as an Art Form and is UC transferrable, but I am currently taking Art 1 and took Drama last year.

Yes, even if you have fulfilled the a-g course requirements, any a-g course you take during Senior year and do not get a C- or higher, can be grounds for rescinding your acceptance.

It is up to each school to determine so my suggestion is always be proactive, notify the schools if you do get an F and find out what you can do to in the meantime such as repeating the course next semester.

Unless you have an acceptance in hand, the schools will give you a generic answer in that they will wait until your final transcript which many times can be too late.

Here is an example of UCSC’s provisional admission contract:::

  1. Maintain a level of academic achievement consistent with your previous coursework, in your fall and spring courses of your last year of school (as listed on your UC application) as preparation for success in college. A decline in GPA by a full grade point may result in the cancellation of your admission.

  2. Earn a grade of C or higher in all fall and spring courses (or equivalent for other grading systems).

If you have already earned a grade of D or F (or equivalent for other grading systems) in your senior year (fall or spring), or if your overall GPA in your senior year (fall or spring) is a grade point below your previous academic performance, you have not met this condition of your admission. Immediately notify Undergraduate Admissions (UA) of any D or F
grades as instructed below. Doing so may allow UA the discretion to provide you with options (if appropriate) to maintain your admission

Excerpt from UCSB’s provisional admission conract:

Because your admission has been based on the information you reported in your University of California application, we expect that you will do the following:

  1. Complete all coursework indicated in your application. Notify the Office of Admissions if you change any academic coursework from what was reported in your application.
  2. Achieve an academic GPA of at least a 3.0 (weighted) with no grade lower than a “C” in each term of your senior year. Notify the Office of Admissions immediately if you earn a grade below a “C” in any academic course in your senior year.

I will also add that since the DE course is UC transferable, it will remain on your permanent college record and would have to be disclosed if you apply for Graduate or Professional schools (Dental/Medical/Pharmacy etc…)

You would have to repeat the exact course if you want the grade replaced.

a W is a lot better than an F

good luck

1 Like

As a senior, timing is not on your side. However, students can retake the exact same class for grade replacement. If you can’t withdrawal and you fail, if you could proactively retake exact same class and do well, it could help your position.

Thank you so much for your advice and assistance, but I am very proud to say I will not be needing it. yay I passed my class! I am very grateful for the information and time you took out of your day to help me.

1 Like

Wonderful news. Keep up the good work.